Signatures on jerseys

CJ Matthews

If I was forced at gunpoint to get an autograph I would do it on the fight strap.

:lol:

I am just trying to imagine that

"Get your F(&^*** jersey signed or I'll shoot"

"No please ANYHTHING but that!!!!!"

*cocks gun*

"Fine Ill get teh stupid fight strap signed"

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's disgusting. I'm all for the "these guys are normal people and may be having a bad day" if someone approaches them at the mall or something.

But to ignore kids, especially ones with special needs, just because you don't feel like it, and just sit on an empty bus. That's disgusting.

That is not good at all. I wonder if Heatley has a huge chip on his shoulder? He seems to rub people the wrong way at times and seems to always be moody. If you are a pro athlete, I think you have a major obligation to fans of your team and to people of your community. Thornton being team captain, that obligation is even stronger. He should be there to shake every hand and do whatever it takes to make the kids happy. To ignore kids, that is the best way to ruin their dreams and spirit. I love the sharks but that sort of thing to read ticks me off. :angry: I hope Marleau and Pavelski aren't like that.

I had the exact opposite experience with Joe Thorton. He was signing at a place called "The Goalies Den" here in the Detroit area back when he played for Boston. It was during the summer so he didn't have any games to worry about. There were about 10 jr. high or high school kids there that he talked with for a long time. He was giving them tips about hockey and his workout routines. He was very polite and talkative with everyone in line also.

I used to get a lot of autographs in the '90's. Haven't done it much lately. The Goalies Den has Red Wings players and alumni signing quite often during the season. Randy, who owned it until he died about a year ago, played goal for the Wings alumni team. His family still runs the store. It's where I've had most of my jerseys customized over the years.

I was there to get Bobby Hulls autograph and wore a Russian jersey to the event. When I got to the front of the line he asked me if I spoke Russian. I said yes. He pulled out his cell phone, called Vladislav Tretiak (in Russia) and had me talk to him for a couple of minutes. What a thrill. I've found that the old time hockey players are the nicest of any sport. (Willie Mays was an Arse). My favorite autographs are from Al Kaline. He was my hero when I was a kid. I always wore #6 when I played baseball and played right field. He is one of the nicest people I've ever met also. He always seems appreciative that people actually still want his autograph so many years after he played. Kaline and George Kell did an autograph show together one time and the stories they were telling were priceless. I've found that most players are nicest during their first two or three seasons then again after they retire.

I've meet and talked with all the Russian players that have played with the Red Wings and quite a few that played for the Vipers also. They really appreciate an American who can speak their language. For a few years I played hockey at the same place that Konstantinov did some of his physical therapy so I got to talk to him many times. One of the funniest things I've ever seen was an autograph session with Slave Kozlov when he played here in Detroit. The person in front of me was being very obnoxious. Kozlov signed the stick in Russian. The translation of what he wrote is "To a$$hole, Slava Kozlov." I was laughing my Arse off. I told Kozlov, in Russian, that I understood what he wrote on the persons stick. We got a good laugh out of that.

One of the coolest things I got signatures on was a 1970's Detroit Tiger yearbook. It took me a couple of years but I got autographs from every player that was still alive. I gave it to my brother for Christmas when I was done because that's the year he was born.

I usually get a card and puck/baseball signed whenever I go to an autograph show. I've never got an autograph at a stadium. I do have a few 8x10's that I've had signed and I have them framed.

I don't think I would ever get a jersey autographed, although I do have a Doug Gilmour jersey that's signed that I won in a charity auction years ago.

Here's how I display mine.

2955970540107003020S600x600Q85.jpg

2477768800107003020S600x600Q85.jpg

2489770600107003020S600x600Q85.jpg

HPIM2673.jpg

I love the looks of these pucks signed in silver.

And yes, that's a Ninja Turtles blanket. Big whoop wanna fight about it?

Don't feel bad, your not the only one Joe Thornton has ignored. I once read a story about how a bunch of special needs kids were visiting the Sharks and after the game wanted to get some autographs and talk to the players. The team bus wasn't suppose to leave for 45 minutes but Joe Thornton and Dany Heatley ignored the kids and sat in the empty bus waiting for it to leave.

I wasn't really upset with Joe - the reason he didn't sign my jersey was that I let all the kids

have first shot. If I _really_ wanted Joe's signature, I could have approached him in the parking lot

or gone to practice another day. The accessibility for the Sharks is amazing.

Unfortunately, one bad story like that tends to wipe out a lot of positives.

Hockey players are generally very generous. I think it is part of their

"sports upbringing."

Kozlov signed the stick in Russian. The translation of what he wrote is "To a$$hole, Slava Kozlov." I was laughing my Arse off.

Man, that is CLASSIC! :D

As I had mentioned earlier, I like to get pucks signed. For those of you who go to the arenas to buy pucks I know they charge something like $18 a puck at MSG, but my friend gave me this website for buying pucks if anybody is interested. I haven't ordered yet, but I assume he has and that they are legit.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=NHLGP9

Anyone else order from these guys yet? I received 8 pucks via UPS yesterday and was not happy with them at all. 3 of the pucks were extremely scuffed, one of the pucks' logos was smeared and two of the cases they came in were cracked.

Hoping this was just a one time thing, but when I called the company they insisted that they would have never shipped things that were not of the highest quality and that I must have banged the package around when I received it.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had ordered and received anything from these guys yet.

Anyone else order from these guys yet? I received 8 pucks via UPS yesterday and was not happy with them at all. 3 of the pucks were extremely scuffed, one of the pucks' logos was smeared and two of the cases they came in were cracked.

Hoping this was just a one time thing, but when I called the company they insisted that they would have never shipped things that were not of the highest quality and that I must have banged the package around when I received it.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had ordered and received anything from these guys yet.

Sucks about the cases, but did you open them up? I recently bought some game pucks and they looked bad, but when I opened them they cleaned right up.

Sucks about the cases, but did you open them up? I recently bought some game pucks and they looked bad, but when I opened them they cleaned right up.

Yeah, opened them up and they were clearly scuffed, even when tried to clean them. Two of the logos were smeared and looked like the ink ran when they were printed or something.