Signatures on jerseys

CJ Matthews

IF you like to get signatures on your jerseys, where do you like to get them? If they're blank I assume you do it on the front, but if it's a player jersey do you care if it's on the front or the back? How about on the jersey itself or on one of the numbers? Thoughts? Input? I only ask cause I plan on getting signatures on my Rangers jerseys sometime in the near future. Also, do I just bring a regular sharpie, or is there a specific marker that's good to use?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF you like to get signatures on your jerseys, where do you like to get them? If they're blank I assume you do it on the front, but if it's a player jersey do you care if it's on the front or the back? How about on the jersey itself or on one of the numbers? Thoughts? Input? I only ask cause I plan on getting signatures on my Rangers jerseys sometime in the near future. Also, do I just bring a regular sharpie, or is there a specific marker that's good to use?

I like to get them to sign it on the number if it is a dark jersey with a light coloured number, or on the front if its a light coloured or white jersey. :thumbsup:

Also, in terms of sharpies/ markers, I would suggest black, blue or silver sharpie depending on jerseys. I would also use gold if they won a gold medal in that jersey, ie. Olympics, World Juniors, etc.

What if it's a blank but dark colored jersey? I won a free blank Heritage jersey this year when they unveiled them and I sorta wanna use it as a "Signature Jersey"

How about gold or silver? What are your thoughts, as everyone has a different opinion? :)

Congrats on winning that jersey as well.

Also, in terms of sharpies/ markers, I would suggest black, blue or silver sharpie depending on jerseys. I would also use gold if they won a gold medal in that jersey, ie. Olympics, World Juniors, etc.

I never thought about that for Olympic jerseys. I don't have one yet, but I hope to in the future, and that's something I'll definitely have to remember!

How about gold or silver? What are your thoughts, as everyone has a different opinion? :)

Congrats on winning that jersey as well.

I'm not really sure what my opinion is lol.

Winning that jersey was sweet. They had a free skate at the rink in my town the weekend they unveiled the jersey and Eddie Giacomin was there so I got to meet him, got his autograph, and put in for the raffle to win random signed memorabilia, with the main prize being a new Heritage jersey. I actually also got a signed Ryan Callahan stick from a separate twitter thing that nobody else knew about and the guys working for the Rangers didn't want to be busy with!

post-3521-0-23827800-1298608130_thumb.jp

I'm just going to put in my $.02. I had an autograph jersey, it has like 20+ signatures on it, and it was cool and all but eventually faded pretty bad (silver on black logo). I also got my first Richards autographed and regret it to this day...the jersey can't be worn anymore. I guess the biggest problem for me is that a "team" jersey is just so...impersonal. It doesn't highlight a player. To do that, you have to lose a wearable jersey. So I switched to pucks, you can get them for less than $2, get one for each player, throw em in a case and move on.

My only jersey with autographs features the likes of Toews, Parise, Oshie and more...all signed in person. I don't care for autographs, so it isn't a highlight of my collection...just kind of there.

I have my Sillinger jersey autographed in between the numbers in black (didn't have a silver sharpie...it was the Isles fault. Really can't complain because it was a free jersey :D) and I had my Guerin jersey signed on a "3", Witt on a "9", and John Tavares on a "9". I wanted to get JT on the fight strap, but it was one of those things when you couldn't believe he stopped to sign autographs, and just ran to the car. So in other words, back number or fightstrap

Like to have player sign the number on the back. Not really into signing the front or having a blank and muliple signers.

My preference is no signature on the jersey anywhere....fight strap would be 2 and a number would be 3.... a signature on a jersey is a deal breaker for me.

I feel the same way, although sometimes you have to take what you can get. for example, signed jerseys in charity auctions from the team or league. The AHL did that with their all star gamers this year. Disappointing, but if you wanted one, you just had to deal with it.

Just as an FYI for those who are like me and do not like jersey signatures but sometimes want something nice for a player to sign, I was just at TTS yesterday and they are now doing and selling jersey backs for $40. They're really nice and would make for really easy framing, I'll probably have some Hawks players done up before the convention.

Finally my kinda topic! I've been getting stuff autographed for the past couple years when teams come to Vancouver, so here's my 2 cents:

If it's a player jersey, autograph goes on the back number. Front or fight strap or whatever seems kinda stupid to me (unless you want the jersey looking untouched, but then what's the point of getting the fightstrap autographed?).

If you're getting a jersey team signed, it should be BLANK, and it should be signed on the front. I'm currently working on a white Team Canada 2010 gold medal team signed jersey, roughly half done!

As for Sharpies and the like... In my experience, silver Sharpies SUCK! The ink is very thin so if they sign a jersey/number/puck it tends to streak. You have to remember that these guys don't press down hard when they sign. If you want gold or silver, go with a Sharpie PAINT PEN instead. I've got a gold and an orange and they work great on jersey numbers and pucks. If you're getting the front of a jersey signed and it's white or a light color (even up to red) you can go with a black or blue Sharpie. I like black aesthetically, but blue works just as well. If you're getting photo's/hockey cards signed, black or blue sharpie, unless the majority of it is dark, then go with a silver/gold/whatever paint pen. Sometimes the players sign on the dark spots of the photo (sucks but what can you do) and if it's a dark sharpie you'll barely see it.

So it's not just me.

Nope. I actually don't care for autographs of any sort. I gave away a puck signed by Jonathan Toews, TJ Oshie (Blues), and Ryan Duncan (Hobey Baker winner), who all played on the same line in college nicknamed the DOT Line. They were almost unstoppable, and Jonathan and TJ have great long careers ahead of them. The puck was meaningless, but the pics of me golfing with guys like Toews I have are priceless. They are personal...not a scribble of permanent marker that is often times less legible than a 3-year old's crayon drawings. Then, especially to have it done on a jersey? Not for me. If it's you, great...just not me.

Oh, I agree. Being able to hang out with the guys would be great,but for most that is virtually impossible. I enjoy getting autographed jerseys as it is a small way that player giving you something from them to you. Not much,but what else could you really ask for. I enjoy getting them,but would never just buy it from somewhere as that has no meaning what so ever.

Nope. I actually don't care for autographs of any sort. I gave away a puck signed by Jonathan Toews, TJ Oshie (Blues), and Ryan Duncan (Hobey Baker winner), who all played on the same line in college nicknamed the DOT Line. They were almost unstoppable, and Jonathan and TJ have great long careers ahead of them. The puck was meaningless, but the pics of me golfing with guys like Toews I have are priceless. They are personal...not a scribble of permanent marker that is often times less legible than a 3-year old's crayon drawings. Then, especially to have it done on a jersey? Not for me. If it's you, great...just not me.

I'm with you on autographs, with one exception. When someone I know writes a book, and signs it, writing something with the signature, I value that.