Signatures on jerseys

CJ Matthews

It definitely makes sense for some things. To purchase an autograph is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. If I met someone who had some connection to what was being signed, depending on the item, I would possibly have it done...like a book signed by the author in a post above me.

To have something sent in the mail to have signed, or to acquire an autograph by any other means than in person, nah...

Another cool story...I was asked to pick up a hockey player from a little po-dunk airport in the middle of nowhere for some hockey thing...on short notice, because he missed his original ride. I cruise over to the airport, to see a big, African-American dude. The guy had not played a single game in the NHL to that point or anything (summer of 2007), and I had a buddy with me, so he said he'd just sit in the back of my pickup truck. :) Turns out, the guy was Dustin Byfuglien, who is now an NHL All-Star. After getting to our destination, he asked if he could borrow my pickup to go get a quick bite to eat...tossed him the keys, and he brought it back. Very cool guy. Didn't ask for an autograph.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Autographs on jerseys....YUCK.

I went to a Sharks practice yesterday and wore my Thornton away Edge. I've debated getting a signature

on the number... got caught up in the moment and thought, what the heck, I'll ask Joe to sign it.

Jumbo blew me off. Honestly, I was the ONE person wanting an autograph that failed to get one from

ANY of the coaches or players. I'm taking this as an omen - the nays have it.

- You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

I went to a Sharks practice yesterday and wore my Thornton away Edge. I've debated getting a signature

on the number... got caught up in the moment and thought, what the heck, I'll ask Joe to sign it.

Jumbo blew me off. Honestly, I was the ONE person wanting an autograph that failed to get one from

- You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

That's because Thornton is a punk...any Red Wing would have signed it. :P

Just don't ask Patrick Kane (You know why)

Why?

BTW, I just figured out what your little dancer reminds me of -- Diablo graphics.

Why?

BTW, I just figured out what your little dancer reminds me of -- Diablo graphics.

He might beat you up for change.

My little dancer is Michael Jackson.

He might beat you up for change.

PK might have a little trouble with me. I'm 6', 250 -- I could just sit on him.

I know who the dancer is.

Never heard of him. :doh:

• 2 weeks later...

I do purshase jersey that are a smaller size just to get them autographed and also will get one done for HOF players ,99% of the time i do them on the back number and if a player pops up fast I will just have a number made up and have it attached to the jerseys .

332.jpg

Finally my kinda topic! I've been getting stuff autographed for the past couple years when teams come to Vancouver, so here's my 2 cents:

If it's a player jersey, autograph goes on the back number. Front or fight strap or whatever seems kinda stupid to me (unless you want the jersey looking untouched, but then what's the point of getting the fightstrap autographed?).

If you're getting a jersey team signed, it should be BLANK, and it should be signed on the front. I'm currently working on a white Team Canada 2010 gold medal team signed jersey, roughly half done!

As for Sharpies and the like... In my experience, silver Sharpies SUCK! The ink is very thin so if they sign a jersey/number/puck it tends to streak. You have to remember that these guys don't press down hard when they sign. If you want gold or silver, go with a Sharpie PAINT PEN instead. I've got a gold and an orange and they work great on jersey numbers and pucks. If you're getting the front of a jersey signed and it's white or a light color (even up to red) you can go with a black or blue Sharpie. I like black aesthetically, but blue works just as well. If you're getting photo's/hockey cards signed, black or blue sharpie, unless the majority of it is dark, then go with a silver/gold/whatever paint pen. Sometimes the players sign on the dark spots of the photo (sucks but what can you do) and if it's a dark sharpie you'll barely see it.

+1 for the Sharpie paint pens but make sure they are properly prepped ahead of time prior to using otherwise the ink will not flow properly.

ya, I guess it depends with me as well. I would never buy anything autographed, never, majority probably fake. I would get items signed in person, that I dont mind at all, but as for jerseys? Well I guess if I don't plan on wearing that jersey ever again then sure, but again, would have to be me getting it signed in person. I have other stuff signed like pucks, cards etc.

I'm still debating wether to get Dale Hunter to sign my jersey, he here every week I just haven't had time to get down to the JLC to watch a Knights game.

Speaking of getting blown off, back in the 80's I went down to the Nordiques dressing room area after a practice before a game vs the Leafs, got a bunch of signatures of some players (Jeff Brown, Greg Smyth, Darin Kimble, Jeff Jackson, Michel Petit, Martin Madden), then I see Michel Goulet sitting there, I'm wearing my Goulet jersey, nobody around but there's a barrier so i can't actually go to him, he just sittin there after practice in hallway by himself drinking a Gatorade, I shout out, he turns looks at me and say's, "Nah, after the game"... b@stard!!! LOL, I never forgot that moment! Was just like the Mean Joe Green and Coke commercial, except I was the kid that got blown off, LOL

Getting autographs is part of the hobby for me. I get jerseys signed on the numbers only. I also get other types of memorabilia signed, such as sticks, pucks, helmets. I'm not a big picture guy, but have the odd one here and there.

Most of the time, I go to the local shows. But I also have friends who know people on the teams, and sometimes I'm able to get some freebies this way. Another way is going to official NHL events, such as the Hall of Fame induction ceremony. I got lucky last year and was able to get Steve Yzerman sign my Detroit jersey. Toronto is great for all this stuff cuz it's the centre of the NHL world! :P

Getting autographs is part of the hobby for me. I get jerseys signed on the numbers only. I also get other types of memorabilia signed, such as sticks, pucks, helmets. I'm not a big picture guy, but have the odd one here and there.

Most of the time, I go to the local shows. But I also have friends who know people on the teams, and sometimes I'm able to get some freebies this way. Another way is going to official NHL events, such as the Hall of Fame induction ceremony. I got lucky last year and was able to get Steve Yzerman sign my Detroit jersey. Toronto is great for all this stuff cuz it's the centre of the NHL world! :P

I've got a good story where the player went out of his way to sign my jersey...I was at the Phantoms-Grand Rapids game here in Philly a few years back...I was wearing my Czech Republic Jiri Hudler jersey and he spotted me during warm-ups. He skated over to the trainer and told him to get my jersey and he'd sign it for me down the runway on his way off the ice. I was stoked to say the least. I had a seat on the glass that game and Hudler scored the first goal of the game, pointed at me and kind of gave me a wink...

The following year or so I watched him as he hoisted the cup in Detroit and said to myself this guy deserves it. Thus, the value of the jersey is more in memories than it is in dollars and I'll always be a fan of Jiri.

2409534510106460649uyAipP_th.jpg

Hockey players are usually the most accommodating, I find, especially Canadians. Well, except for Mike Camalleri, he's a punk. -_-

I've got a good story where the player went out of his way to sign my jersey...I was at the Phantoms-Grand Rapids game here in Philly a few years back...I was wearing my Czech Republic Jiri Hudler jersey and he spotted me during warm-ups. He skated over to the trainer and told him to get my jersey and he'd sign it for me down the runway on his way off the ice. I was stoked to say the least. I had a seat on the glass that game and Hudler scored the first goal of the game, pointed at me and kind of gave me a wink...

The following year or so I watched him as he hoisted the cup in Detroit and said to myself this guy deserves it. Thus, the value of the jersey is more in memories than it is in dollars and I'll always be a fan of Jiri.

2409534510106460649uyAipP_th.jpg

That's awesome. Makes me laugh a bit as I've got the same story with him. I got a Vsetin game worn Hudler jersey that he wore a few times as he left GR to take care of his father who was sick. He skated with his old team,Vsetin while he did this and luckily I was able to obtain through their end of the year auction. Anyways the next season Jiri was in GR again and I got seats behind the GR bench in Cleveland. He spotted me during warmups and smiled and continued to look and smile throughout the game. I asked the trainer after warmups about getting it auto'd after the game and he told me Jiri had already told him yes..lol. Hudler came out before the start of the game and gave me a thumbs up and continued to turn around and laugh and smile throughout the game. Great kid and I will always root for him.

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2980258070104353058PrevyH

I just got back from the Rangers game, and I got four pucks signed by Prospal, Stepan, Boyle, and Gaborik.

Can I have the gaborik? :fight:

I had this Alex Kovalev jersey that was signed with a blue pen of some sort. I had it in a warderobe and the signature slowly became less visible and now seems to be completely gone. Any idea what has happened with it?

It wasn't ink - it was signed in Kovie's raw talent, which like the signature has faded significantly over the years :D

I had this Alex Kovalev jersey that was signed with a blue pen of some sort. I had it in a warderobe and the signature slowly became less visible and now seems to be completely gone. Any idea what has happened with it?

I've heard from some other autograph hounds and dealers (SCUM!) that certain pens/markers/whatever will fade over time, my guess is that's what happened. I've had my best results with black sharpies (on white numbers), though some of those guys swear blue is better for fading over time. My Selanne Wildwing and a couple other Selanne & Niedermayer jerseys have been sitting in the closet and there's been no fading yet!

It wasn't ink - it was signed in Kovie's raw talent, which like the signature has faded significantly over the years :D

:lol:

Well, you are most likely correct - although its sad to admit it as I never would like a player like Kovalev to have this ability fade away!

I've heard from some other autograph hounds and dealers (SCUM!) that certain pens/markers/whatever will fade over time, my guess is that's what happened. I've had my best results with black sharpies (on white numbers), though some of those guys swear blue is better for fading over time. My Selanne Wildwing and a couple other Selanne & Niedermayer jerseys have been sitting in the closet and there's been no fading yet!

Thanks for the input!

Interesting. Hm.... I wonder if the guy that got the Kovalev signature just used a regular ink pen. Thats not something to recomend, eh?