Penguins 2011 Winter Classic Jersey Unveiling

ItsBennGreat

The Pittsburgh Penguins announced the 2011 Winter Classic jerseys today.

The full story is here:http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/upload/2010/10/JJS_3984_std.jpg

The jerseys will be on sale in various shops on November 15.

Pictures credit to the Penguins site. There are more pictures in the article too.

What do you think of the jerseys? I like the colors used but the stripes are a bit much.

2011wc_jersey4_std.jpg

2011wc_jersey5_std.jpg

2011wc_jersey0_std.jpg

2011wc_jersey3_std.jpg

2011wc_jersey2_std.jpg

2011wc_jersey1_std.jpg

DSCN1384_std.jpg

JJS_3984_std.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love how they put winter classic and the date of the game on the collar.

I noticed it on the Caps too. I think it is a way to further show the difference between the fakes and replica/authentics

meh ... it's okay ... doesn't bowl me over ... could have done with one or two less stripes ...

now I do want to say, every time I see the Winter Classic logo for this season, I like it more and more ...

If you are going to base this year's winter classic jersey on the template of the original penguins jersey, you can't expect it to have less stripes!

I will admit they look a bit thicker than they should be.

1967-68Penguins.jpg

I'm ok with the color reversal, since I personally feel light/powder.baby blue is a crap color for a pro sports team and is much better suited for a nursery.

Anybody else notice how the Crosby has a matching nameplate while the jerseys Malkin and Staal are wearing have a twill nameplate. Hopefully the gamers have the proper nameplate.

I like it.

The design looks pretty good. I like the retro logo with the penguin wearing the scarf. The stripes were an overkill though... :mellow: The date of the game on the neck is a nice touch.

If I had one complaint, it'd be the thickness of the stripes around the waist...but it looks better on the players than it does as an empty jersey. But overall, I think it's pretty dang sharp! LOVE the rounded numbers!

I like the Penguins WC jersey. The stripe comments are appropriate, but Jeff pointed out something important: the Penguins original jersey had a lot of stripes on it - see his post above. I really like how this jersey incorporates elements of Penguins sweaters from the past - the navy blue color, the stripes, and the crest - which was the original skating penguin logo, and the tie down lace below the neck - classic look and feel. :thumbsup:

Another thing I really enjoy is the fact this jersey is NOT a recreation of any SINGLE Penguins jersey from the past. Many of the other WC jerseys teams used (including the Penguins in 2008) were recreated versions of vintage jerseys. This one doesn't try and recreate one, it's more of a new original idea, which makes me think the designers wanted to give all the old jersey styles their own place in Penguins history - not a bad idea.

I actually really like the colors and logo. I might actually pick up one of these...still think the powder blues are nicer, but this one isn't bad at all

I've got an authentic one ordered through work. They were available on our order from from Reebok so I had the owner put me down for a 54.

I like the logo and the date touch. I was really hoping for a jersey relevant to the Pens/Caps rivalry though. I will agree that it looks a hell of a lot better on a person than empty. It has me swayed now. Empty I didn't like it from the early mockups, but the numbers are great. What started as a firm no, is now more of a "might end up in my closet" type of response.

The numbers really are the best part of the whole thing. They should have gotten clearance from the league to go nameless too. THAT would have been classic.

So here's my question:

Do they ever sell authentic cuts of these WC jerseys? All I'm seeing online right now are preorders for premier cut.

Anyone know?

I saw one on preorder from kevchan77 on e-bay. I was thinking of preordering an authentic one for myself too...probably with Crosby on it

So here's my question:

Do they ever sell authentic cuts of these WC jerseys? All I'm seeing online right now are preorders for premier cut.

Anyone know?

I was able to preorder a Capitals WC authentic size 50 through the fan shop at the Capitals practice facility. It sounds like they were taking preorders to figure out how many they need to order and yesterday they called me and ask me to prepay for the jersey (cost me $350 uncustomized). So far they have been the only place I have found that has offered to sell the Edge Authentic of the WC jersey. Any idea if IceJerseys will sell authentics of both WC jerseys?

UPDATE:

Just found out by talking to IJ that authentic WC jerseys will only be available through USA retailers. No authentic WC jerseys can be sold in Canada. That is why River City and IJ won't have it available.

I've got an authentic one ordered through work. They were available on our order from from Reebok so I had the owner put me down for a 54.

Where do you work?

^I don't see the above being correct at all considering I've seen the Reebok order form and saw that they were available to us. I work part-time in a local sports store in Canada so unless they changed the rules after they sent out the order forms....I dunno...

The wholesale cost of the Authentics was 175 BTW....