I've started a new jersey blog!

JeffB

I would like to start adding some variety to my blog. I don't want to actually post a jersey without having some sort of reason to do so, like at least a players birthday or notable event in hockey history.

On those days I've got no jersey to post, I thought I would do occasional informative topics on jersey collecting. Some of my ideas are:

What to collect

Where to get jerseys

How to buy on "ebay"

How to spot fakes

Who to get on your jersey

How to take the plastic off of patches

Making your own patches

How to get them lettered

How to get on TV wearing them

With that in mind, I have a couple of questions for all of you.

First, what do you collect? Is there any sort of theme to what you collect and why?

Second, can you think of any more collecting topics I could cover?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you collect?

I collect jerseys of current and past Penguins players; from both the AHL team and the NHL team. I do this because it's a good way to honor some of the greatest players the team has had like the obvious choices of Lemieux, Crosby, and Malkin...plus to show your support for the guys that people tend to overlook in all the superstar hype. I have mostly Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and Pittsburgh Penguins jerseys, but have also looked around for jerseys of Pens players from other teams. For example, a Sidney Crosby Rimouski Oceanic. It mixes up my collection so my closet isn't a complete array of black and gold. (Sorry, but I hate the powder blues.)

Any other collecting topics?

Focus on how to get the best prices, not just on Ebay, but on other sites on the Internet. Maybe talk to die hard collectors on how the economic times have impacted their collection habits, if at all.

What do you collect?

I'm much the same as WBS, just different teams. I've a rule that any jersey I buy should be linked to one of my teams in some way (Nottingham or Phoenix/Winnipeg) which is mainly just to stop myself going crazy and quickly broke. I also wouldn't buy a jersey from another club from the same league (although I do own a Florida Panthers jersey), so the majority of my stuff is from those teams, and then minor/junior leagues or foreign leagues.

Other topics?

Space, as much as money, is a real restriction I find. I've currently got jerseys hanging off the front of wardrobes, back of doors etc. I'd love to know how you store 400+ jerseys Jeff and how you keep them in good condition while they're in storage.

Very interested in seeing how you make a patch too.

The Sabres Hasek you put up today is great. One of the best designs and color combinations ever. I've also always been partial to the number 39 on a jersey. Doug Gilmour's Calgary years maybe. It also fills up the back nicely. As they still say in Western New York, "No goal!".

Other Topics

I'd be interested in seeing more Russian Super League and/or KHL jerseys. No option but to like teams called Traktor, Dynamo or Lokomotiv.

The Sabres Hasek you put up today is great. One of the best designs and color combinations ever. I've also always been partial to the number 39 on a jersey. Doug Gilmour's Calgary years maybe. It also fills up the back nicely. As they still say in Western New York, "No goal!".

Other Topics

I'd be interested in seeing more Russian Super League and/or KHL jerseys. No option but to like teams called Traktor, Dynamo or Lokomotiv.

I've got a few Russian Super League jerseys. I just need to do some research on events that give me a tie-in so I have a reason to post them.

I was pretty happy with today's post. I'm glad you liked it.

The nice thing about having my own blog is I get to choose not to mention that no goal business if I don't want to.

I've got a few Russian Super League jerseys. I just need to do some research on events that give me a tie-in so I have a reason to post them.

In one month is the 58th anniversary of Hitler's attack on the USSR, that's the only Russian-related event I can recall off the top of my head

In one month is the 58th anniversary of Hitler's attack on the USSR, that's the only Russian-related event I can recall off the top of my head

Uh, thanks, but I think I'm thinking more hockey related events and slightly less Hitler. :thumbsup:

So, did anyone like the explanation of the origin of the term hat trick the other day? I only wish she had a few more sports related topics I could post.

Today is a Whalers themed post.

http://thirdstringgoalie.blogspot.com

The hat trick lady is cool (what's not to like?).

The Whalers/Dineen feature was great. It certainly got "Brass Bonanza" stuck in my head. coincidently, I sent my 90s Whalers jersey to be customized on Friday, though I went with Verbeek rather than Dineen.

I hope that you've been checking my blog at least occasionally since I've started it. I have been avoiding bumping this thread every day just to tell you I've made yet another new post, so I hope you'll indulge me this time, as I have written my first "feature story" type of post about the KHL hockey league and it's attempts to sign away NHL players. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out and hope it will contain some information that you find interesting and weren't aware of yet, especially the dissection of average attendance numbers at professional games in Russia.

There's also the usual "jersey of the day" below the main article, so don't forget to check that out while you are there since it's a bit of a break in the usual format today.

http://thirdstringgoalie.blogspot.com/

Nice work on the KHL piece. Well researched and well written. Much as I like the KHL in concept and practice, the belief that it will one day rival the NHL is a bit silly. Small arenas, a major language barrier, vast distances between competing cities and a ratty world economy are just a few of the roadblocks. That said, I'm all for them making some noise and making some Russian fans go mental.

The Lou Nanne post was also great. One of my wife's uncles was a North Stars executive from the club's inception so she was a huge fan. Lou's got one of the great broken noses of all time. Nice work on that jersey. It's great to see all but forgotten gems like that get new life.

Nice work on the KHL piece. Well researched and well written. Much as I like the KHL in concept and practice, the belief that it will one day rival the NHL is a bit silly. Small arenas, a major language barrier, vast distances between competing cities and a ratty world economy are just a few of the roadblocks. That said, I'm all for them making some noise and making some Russian fans go mental.

The Lou Nanne post was also great. One of my wife's uncles was a North Stars executive from the club's inception so she was a huge fan. Lou's got one of the great broken noses of all time. Nice work on that jersey. It's great to see all but forgotten gems like that get new life.

Thanks very much for the feedback. I was really shocked when I learned that the supposed second best league in the world isn't drawing 12-15,000 a night, and couldn't if they wanted to since they are playing in college hockey sized rinks! That was really my first "feature story", so I'm happy you liked it.

I had a friend forward the Lou Nanne post to him, so I hope he gets the opportunity to read it.

After today's post was automatically published early this morning, I added a lot of new content about the playoffs that I hope everyone will check out. The Winnipeg Jets Whiteout video is a classic timecapsule from back then.

I've started a new Twitter feed to post my topic for each day for those of you are into that.

It's worth checking out just for the background wallpaper, if nothing else.

http://twitter.com/3rdStringGoalie

I liked the Cleveland Barons/Meloche post. I'd never thought of Meloche's career anomaly of playing for three teams having never been traded or signing as a free agent. And he had a superb 'tache.

Thanks. I was pretty pleased with that post. Unfortunately it was posted on a Saturday and relatively no one saw it. It's amazing how low my visits are compared to weekdays.

I did eventually post a new one today. It was about 10 hours later than usual since I was out of town all weekend.

Today's entry is the story of how the Quebec Nordiques traded Eric Lindros - twice.

It's funny to think about things like this. What if? What if that deal with the Rangers was allowed and they DID get Lindros? Do they still win the Cup in 1994 without Kovalev and Nemchinov? No James Patrick to wheel for Steve Larmer(and Kypreos) and without Amonte, they don't get Matteau and Noonan either. Interesting....

God I hate Lindros. The Flyers gave away so many awesome players for an overrated skirt-wearing jackass. Every time I go looking for a orange Flyers CCM jersey the only ones I find have his name on it...

God I hate Lindros. The Flyers gave away so many awesome players for an overrated skirt-wearing jackass. Every time I go looking for a orange Flyers CCM jersey the only ones I find have his name on it...

Every player who has done this, I have lost all respect for from day 1. For this same reason, I have never been a fan of John Elway, Eric Lindros, Eli Manning, Steve Francis or any other player who has said "I will not play for team X if they draft me". You have never played at the highest level and have proven nothing about being able to play at that level, so you have no right to demand anything at that point in their career.

You have never played at the highest level and have proven nothing about being able to play at that level, so you have no right to demand anything at that point in their career.

Amen. I couldn't have said it better. Do the Nords stay in Quebec if he plays for the team?

You have never played at the highest level and have proven nothing about being able to play at that level, so you have no right to demand anything at that point in their career.

Amen. I couldn't have said it better. Do the Nords stay in Quebec if he plays for the team?

I tried to not let my hatred of Lindros come through in my writing, but I can't stand him, or his perm.

I don't know if the Nords stay in Quebec even with Lindros due to the arena and size of the city. Perhaps only a Stanley Cup would have saved them temporarily, and Lindros never delivered one of those. With Lindros, they don't get Forsberg and if they stay in Quebec, the sure don't get Patrick Roy either.

With Lindros, they don't get Forsberg and if they stay in Quebec, the sure don't get Patrick Roy either.

Yes. THAT right there is the key. There's NO WAY that Patrick would accept a trade to Quebec; even after it all fell apart in Montreal. Who was their #1 back then? Fiset? Thibault? Those guys aren't winning you a Cup...I don't care how stakced the lineup is.

I never considered the angle of Patrick accepting a trade to Quebec as much as I thought the Canadiens management would never consider sending him to their arch-rivals under any circumstances.

Either way, it was never going to happen.

I wasn't planning on doing an update today, but a really good story relating to the upcoming draft kind of fell into my lap and I couldn't resist it, so if you checked my blog early this morning, you may have missed my latest entry.

I posted an interesting jersey today, a Tampa Bay Lightning "seasickness" alternate jersey from early in Vincent Lecavalier's rookie season.

My traffic is usually down noticeably on weekends and that's when some of the more interesting jerseys seem to fall in my calendar so I wanted to point this one out.