Jersey Customization Process

cbhockey22

I have a non-NHL jersey I want customized, but this seemed like the best place to post this. I have spoken with the place that customizes for this team and was told they do not do the same process for individuals because their process could potentially ruin my jersey. I'm thankful they were honest with me, but I'm struggling to understand the problem because when I asked if they could simply provide me with the numbers and letters so I could have them sewn elsewhere, I was told that was not possible. According to the person I spoke to, their process involves cutting the tackle twill with a laser and sewing it onto the jersey in one complete process and that without the jersey it's not possible. Does this sound right? Does this make sense to anyone familiar with this kind of stuff? I'm considering asking them to just do it anyway on some junk jersey and then stripping that one to have it sewn onto the real one. Any reason that couldn't work?

Edited by cbhockey22

I'm confused how their process would ruin a jersey.

Not sure I'm not reading this right. It sounds like if you sent the jersey in they would give you exactly what you want, so why not just send it in?

They won't do it because they say it may ruin the jersey. I am considering asking if they'd do it on a jersey that I wouldn't care if it truly was ruined, but I won't take the chance on the real one.

Edited by cbhockey22

I'm confused how their process would ruin a jersey.

I don't understand that either, but I also don't understand why they wouldn't be able to just provide me with the kit if they're unwilling to sew it to the jersey. They claim it's all or nothing and I'm trying to understand this process short of walking into and observing the facility.

Edited by cbhockey22

Any place that is unwilling to sell loose kits to customers is stupid business (Unless the reason is something contractually they cannot do like NFL).

Edited by OR68

Any place that is unwilling to sell loose kits to customers is stupid business (Unless the reason is something contractually they cannot do like NFL).

It seems like getting paid without the hassle of doing the sewing would be worth it, but maybe they want to make the full amount rather than the reduced amount they could charge for just the kit.

It seems like getting paid without the hassle of doing the sewing would be worth it, but maybe they want to make the full amount rather than the reduced amount they could charge for just the kit.

Or they can just charge the same like EPS does.

I'd ask them how it could ruin the jersey exactly. Are they ruining jerseys when they make them for the team? It sounds like a bs excuse to just not do stuff for the public.

Or they can just charge the same like EPS does.

If that is the case, then I really don't understand why.

I guess then I wonder, if it's the same produce, and it's a reputable shop like EPS, why order a kit instead of having them just complete it? Are people buying kits in anticipation of obtaining the jerseys later?

If that is the case, then I really don't understand why.

I guess then I wonder, if it's the same produce, and it's a reputable shop like EPS, why order a kit instead of having them just complete it? Are people buying kits in anticipation of obtaining the jerseys later?

Cheaper for them to mail me a kit and sew it myself instead of me paying to mail the jersey there and back. Plus, I don't trust any shop to put the stuff on properly.

Cheaper for them to mail me a kit and sew it myself instead of me paying to mail the jersey there and back. Plus, I don't trust any shop to put the stuff on properly.

I guess if you have the talent to place everything correctly and sew the correctly, that makes total sense. I don't think I could even get them glued down accurately, never mind actually sewing them.

Thanks, as much as I like to talk here I am still relatively new to the hobby and sometimes need answers to obvious questions.

I guess if you have the talent to place everything correctly and sew the correctly, that makes total sense. I don't think I could even get them glued down accurately, never mind actually sewing them.

Thanks, as much as I like to talk here I am still relatively new to the hobby and sometimes need answers to obvious questions.

Yeah same I don't think I'd be able to correctly place everything together and glue it down properly.

Where do you guys usually get your loose kits sewn? I know a few of you send them to a member on the board who does a really good job, but I'm still in school and shipping from Canada is a bit too costly for me.

I have a dilemma where I have loose kits shipped for kits that Truman at GameDay doesn't have material for (like Edge nameplates and sublimated twill), but I feel bad for asking him to sew the kits for me, and it's not even a knock on his ability to customize, he's good, but I just rather have the right nameplate material as well.

The only thing that I can see as a problem is the possibility it is a college jersey. I don't believe you can get a customized jersey of an active collegiate athlete with a name on it. I may be wrong but I seem to remember seeing this somewhere. Unless there is some new type of material the jersey is made with, I don't see the jersey being ruined. I'm sure you could always get a nameplate produced elsewhere and have it sewn on after the numbers are already sewn down.

Edited by jerseymikea

The only thing that I can see as a problem is the possibility it is a college jersey. I don't believe you can get a customized jersey of an active collegiate athlete with a name on it. I may be wrong but I seem to remember seeing this somewhere. Unless there is some new type of material the jersey is made with, I don't see the jersey being ruined. I'm sure you could always get a nameplate produced elsewhere and have it sewn on after the numbers are already sewn down.

No, I knew they wouldn't do a current player and that was made clear anyway. Still confused on how they could ruin it and everything I'm reading here reassures me that what I'm being told doesn't make sense. I'm really just trying to make sense of a ridiculous situation. On the phone, I was a little surprised and asked more than once to confirm they did the real UMaine jerseys because why would they use a process that could ruin the actual team's jerseys. It's just an Edge 2.0 so it's not a material thing. First I was told I could get it done in just one color which I figured was screen printing and later confirmed so I specifically asked about tackle twill and was told they don't do that for individuals because "it could ruin the jersey and you wouldn't be happy". Then I asked about having just the letters/numbers made for me so I could have them sewn elsewhere and that's when I was told that their machine has a complete process cutting and sewing and basically without a jersey physically present it's not possible. Then I called back to see if they'd sell me the tackle twill so at least I'd have the right colors available! I was told she'd come up with a quote and call me back. The most frustrating thing is I learned this was the place that does UMaine's stuff from someone who had the exact process that I want done to the same kind of jersey! I mentioned his name, maybe they don't like this guy??

Denver athletic won't sell kits. I love their customization, but very expensive to ship there and back. They stitch all layers down to the jersey!

Denver athletic won't sell kits. I love their customization, but very expensive to ship there and back. They stitch all layers down to the jersey!

Easy solution. Don't buy avs jerseys.

Out of curiosity I emailed Cutting Edge Sports to see if they could do a UMaine jersey. They are claiming they are the ones that actually do the real UMaine jerseys. Is there any truth to this? I know they do BC, BU, and Northeastern so another Hockey East team makes sense.

Out of curiosity I emailed Cutting Edge Sports to see if they could do a UMaine jersey. They are claiming they are the ones that actually do the real UMaine jerseys. Is there any truth to this? I know they do BC, BU, and Northeastern so another Hockey East team makes sense.

I cannot confirm if UMaine currently uses Cutting Edge Sports, but they definitely did at one point. If they claim they do the current ones, I'd have no reason to doubt them.