Teams and players selling fakes?

MeccaDon123

This is NFL related and I'm not sure if it has been discussed here on these forums but I couldn't imagine this happening in the NHL. After the thread about the fake jersey being auctioned off by the MLF and the NHL. How would you feel if you found out your favorite player faked jerseys so he could keep the originals? This is unreal. Mods if this is being discussed in another area of the forums feel free to delete.

http://www.giants101.com/2014/01/30/new-york-giants-eli-manning-created-distributed-fake-memorabilia-explosive-new-lawsuit/

from the article:

The lawsuit also alleges that Manning willingly took part in these forgeries and distribution as a way to "hang on to his personal items."

The lawsuit continues that it has become the norm within the Giants organization to create and distribute fake memorabilia — so much so that it was even openly discussed (allegedly) by equipment manager Joe Skiba using the team's official e-mail address.

One of the e-mail exchanges, as detailed by the New York Post, went as follows (it occurred between Eric Inselberg — more coming on him shortly — and Joe Skiba):

“Hey Joe, my buddy was offered an eli game used helmet and jersey. Are these the bs ones eli asked you to make up because he didnt want to give up the real stuff?” Inselberg writes in the exchange.

Skiba — replying from account “jskiba@giants.nfl.net” — writes, “BS ones, you are correct…”

I'm honestly speechless... That's really disturbing. I get the player wanting to keep the stuff, but why make fakes? And if its because they're required to give up a game worn jersey to be sold due to a contract, why can't the player shell out the couple grand it would cost and just keep the real thing? I mean seriously? These guys are making 10's of millions of dollars, and they can't just pay for the real thing? They have to create a fake one?

This is upsetting.

Why should a player pay $10,000 or whatever for a jersey he wore?

No... my point was, if he wants it, why doesn't he just pay for it rather than keep it and create a fake to sell in its place?

No... my point was, if he wants it, why doesn't he just pay for it rather than keep it and create a fake to sell in its place?

Maybe he has to buy it from Steiner.

I was going to buy Peyton Manning's game worn from the Super Bowl, but he didn't show up for the game so it's not available. :)

you guys are assuming all of this is true.

True, however that email looks pretty convincing. This would be a lot to "make up". Usually there is something to gain when it comes to fraud. what would there be to gain by making this up? Someone has an actual "legit" manning jersey and wants to "prove it" to be a fake?

This post I found on another forum is pretty interesting.

"Is anyone REALLY surprised?

I worked an autograph signing a while back and this guy brings in a jersey from a one night only promotion and shows it to the athlete and says "you wore this and I won it at an auction". Dude shows a COA and a letter from the trainer saying it was worn by the athlete in a game. The athlete says "I remember that game...there was only one jersey made for that night". He signs the jersey for the guy and then says to me "...and one backup. I have the one I wore in the game at home."

I worked an autograph signing a while back and this guy brings in a jersey from a one night only promotion and shows it to the athlete and says "you wore this and I won it at an auction". Dude shows a COA and a letter from the trainer saying it was worn by the athlete in a game. The athlete says "I remember that game...there was only one jersey made for that night". He signs the jersey for the guy and then says to me "...and one backup. I have the one I wore in the game at home."

Ouch... that's really bad. You'd imagine though most athletes would keep major items from huge games for themselves.

I was going to buy Peyton Manning's game worn from the Super Bowl, but he didn't show up for the game so it's not available. :)

Game issued.

Wow..You would think they keep the "big time" stuff. I don't think Emmit Smith was numbering all those TD balls for others to buy. So the question remains. Is this happening in the NHL?

Lets put it this way. Unless you have a conclusive photo match of the exact item which could not possibly be replicated due to uniqueness of flaws or damage or discernable wear, then anything can be faked. If the same person or people or company can make an authentic version then they certainly can make another one or multiples of them. Its unfortunate and quite sad that this happens but when you hear that 90% of sports memorabilia is fake we automatically assume fake autographs however it goes to show it can happen at a much higher level. The risk of a third party loa regardless of their provenance or expert opinion is that they can easily be fooled too. A great example. Player A has team issued jersey with customizations or details unique to their preferences. They never wear it and it is sold or given to a party who decides to wear it and replicate wear or create artificial wear. They then auction or resell the item off. The company who provides the loa sees the unique details and specifications plus the obvious game wear and determine that its a gamer. This was notorious to grey flannel auctions selling bogus game issued "gamers" with loas. Again, end of the day, photo or video match is the only real proof that the piece you own is the same piece that was worn.

Lets put it this way. Unless you have a conclusive photo match of the exact item which could not possibly be replicated due to uniqueness of flaws or damage or discernable wear, then anything can be faked. If the same person or people or company can make an authentic version then they certainly can make another one or multiples of them. Its unfortunate and quite sad that this happens but when you hear that 90% of sports memorabilia is fake we automatically assume fake autographs however it goes to show it can happen at a much higher level. The risk of a third party loa regardless of their provenance or expert opinion is that they can easily be fooled too. A great example. Player A has team issued jersey with customizations or details unique to their preferences. They never wear it and it is sold or given to a party who decides to wear it and replicate wear or create artificial wear. They then auction or resell the item off. The company who provides the loa sees the unique details and specifications plus the obvious game wear and determine that its a gamer. This was notorious to grey flannel auctions selling bogus game issued "gamers" with loas. Again, end of the day, photo or video match is the only real proof that the piece you own is the same piece that was worn.

very very good point. I guess I can't imagine my favorite player being in on selling me fakes, I only collect jerseys from the team i was raised on. The team I have been a die hard fan of for over 30 years. So if I found out that 1 of my fav players was in on selling me fakes i have no idea how that would affect me watching and rooting for the player(if he was still active).