Mario Lemieux Foundation Auctions - Knockoff Jersey?

Flyers845

Certainly looks like it. Quite appropriate for them to auction off a knockoff jersey for a foundation started by the biggest phony in hockey history.

Out of all the former and current NHLer's that has done signings in Toronto, Lemieux is the only player that has said he won't sign fake jerseys. So this is quite ironic...

ridiculous, look how long it is.......... :lol:

It looks like a woman's night gown it's so long.

I reported it :D

Their response -

How do you mean a fake jersey? This is being directly actioned off by the Mario Lemiuex Foundation for charity. I have no reason to believe that the jersey is fake as it does come with an certificate of authenticity. Please let me know what leads you to believe the jersey is fake and I will make sure to speak with the MLF.

Thanks,

Jeff

Thank you for using NHL Auctions!

My response a few minutes ago -

I mean fake, as in - was made in a sweatshop in china by some poor little 8 year old girl, fake, and is not an authentic licensed NHL product manufactured by CCM.

Despite your pictures not being overly detailed, you can tell right away simply by looking at the aweful shape/construction of the jersey. A more experienced view, and the shape/size of the collar, as well as the poor embroidery of the rear CCM hem tag become obvious evidence that this jersey is a knockoff.

Here's a genuine vintage CCM penguins for sale to compare with - http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARIO-LEMIEUX-PITTSBURGH-PENGUINS-92-CUP-CCM-VINTAGE-JERSEY-/271200346007?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&var=&hash=item3f24ccdf97

Right away you can compare the two and see the difference.

I would imagine your COA is simply to confirm the authenticity of the Lemieux autograph, and I have no doubt that Lemieux may very well have signed this jersey himself, but if he did, he signed a fake jersey. *IF* the jersey COA states the jersey is 100% authentic, well, you may want to speak with whomever wrote it, and ensure better quality control and fact checking. Anyone can write a COA with whatever they want on Mario Lemieux Foundation letterhead, and it doesn't necessarily make it true.

I've been a collector for years and have quite a bit of experience seeing these knockoffs that pop up everywhere.

This most certainly doesn't make me an expert re the Lemieux jersey you have listed, but if you still don't belive me, I fully encourage you to locate a genuine article CCM vintage pens jersey (assuming you have one available), and compare the two yourself - the stitching, the seams, the materials, etc, and you'll be able to tell yourself.

Hope this helps you, and I certainly hope we don't see more fake merchandise being sold through NHL auctions.

Thanks

"Oh $hit, we got another email from that Chris guy in Canada!" lol.

Good job, though. It's a shame you have to give such detailed info that will probably just be way over their heads anyway.

Right?

The fakes seem to pop up anywhere and everywhere, so I suppose my efforts are somewhat futile, but that auction's at $660....if I can save some poor sap from dropping $700+ on a piece of toilet paper, well, why not.

I added to my previous reply -

I should also follow up by pointing out that the jersey you have for sale is supposed to be a pro jersey (eg - pro cut, fight strap, etc), while the jersey I linked you to is a replica.
The replica would not have a fight strap or double elbows/shoulders, but yours, having the fight strap, should have double elbows/shoulders. Again, your pics aren't the greatest, but I don't see double elbows at all.
Comparing with other pro vintage line series jerseys, I see they all have double elbows.

Id send him these two links also, one to the Canucks site - http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=66864

and to this image- http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q40/13sweden/23.jpg

Tell him, fight strap on left = real, right = fake. Compare to your jersey.

Then throw in an LOL @ NHL selling fake stuff on their own site from me

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your note. As with most of our auctions, we simply host the auctions while the vendors/charities send me the information and pictures of the items to post. Therefore, I do not have the actual jersey in my possession. I have had no reason to doubt the authenticity of the items listed by MLF in the past, but after hearing from you, I will definitely investigate. I take this matter very seriously and as with any vendor or charity, if I find out they are selling fake or unauthorized items, I reserve the right to enforce penalties or simply banish them from the site. All of the information you have provided is helpful and I will make sure to get to the bottom of this.

Thank you again for the heads up,

Jeff

Yea they'll "investigate" right to the bank with this scam.

Great job slim. I doubt that's even Lemieux's real signature since he makes it a point to NOT sign fake jerseys. Heck, he won't even sign loose numbers.

auctions@nhl.com

Sounds like he's had a few folks already message him -

I am well aware of the counterfeit jersey and I can usually spot them a mile away. But again since this was a retro jersey and I haven't seen the actual jersey myself, I did miss it. I have spoken with the MLF and it appears that it was donated by a reputable donor, but after hearing from you as well as others, I do plan on pulling this listing as I wouldn't want to mislead any customers. Again, thanks for the heads up.

Jeff