Did I just buy a fake Edge?

metaphaze

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is an auction for a legitmate Tampa Bay Edge:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-TAMPA-BAY-LIGHTNING-Jersey-White-50-RBK-EDGE-Reebok-Road-BNWT-Stamkos-/160720556220?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item256bb110bc

Notice the following:

1. NHL patch on neckline

2. Neck tagging (black tag, CCM with tails on Cs)

3. Reinforced fight strap that uses an oversized swatch of twill

4. Vector on back neck is a separate patch

5. The material on the back panel should be different than the front and should have a dazzle sort of effect to it. On an edge 1.0, both front and back should be very stretchy in all directions.

6. There should be no vector logo on the sleeve or slits on side bottom hems

7. The jersey should hang such that either the sleeves want to turn inward (like the main auction photo) or flare outwards slightly (like this jersey: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Reebok-Edge-New-York-Rangers-Jersey-Size-56-/110809559009?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item19ccc3afe1)

Hope this helps.

EDIT: looks like I am a little late to the party here

I refused the sellers deal. I posted negative feedback, and asked for an eBay resolution. Their is a good chance I lose my money. That said, I would rather lose my money, and make sure this counterfeit POS ever reach another buyer.

I hope the members here agree with me, that they would not buy a fake sweater. I am standing up, after putting out almost a $100.00. I hope the the majority here are willing to do the same.

Edited by metaphaze

There are hundreds of fakes sold every day. "Their is a good chance I lose my money. That said, I would rather lose my money, and make sure this counterfeit POS ever reach another buyer." You have to do this the right way to make a difference otherwise they just keep on selling. File an eBay claim and send the jersey back. Don't do anything to damage it (one moron wrote "fake" on the fight strap). Get your money back!! Otherwise the seller has accomplished his task and will continue. The jersey isn't the issue... it's the act of selling counterfeits is. Don't be lazy. Follow it though.

And hopefully the lesson "if it looks to be too good to be true..." takes hold.

eBay is going to require that you return it and provide proof of delivery to get your money back. Your wife is going to cut your nuts off.

If it's proven to be fake, you do not have to return the jersey to the seller. In my case against a seller who sold me the "home-made" jersey, eBay told me to get rid of it. You cannot knowingly ship fake stuff across state or country lines. I still got my money back.

So if you can prove your case, you can still get your money back and burn the jersey. Just do everything by the book.

eBay rep stated I will get a full refund via eBay, they will pursue the seller to recoup the refund.

They told me to destroy the jersey.

eBay resolution center manager reneged on the deal.

Stated I would receive a full refund once their prepaid shipping label showed either received, or rejected.

We will see. I have half a mind to turn the USPS tracking number over to the US Postal Inspector.

Edited by metaphaze

Dude, just return the jersey and get your money back. It's that simple. It's really not that big of a deal, you bought a fake and you're going to get your money back. Leave it at that. You contacting the Postal Inspector isn't going to do anything and it certainly won't stop the guy from selling fakes.

We're not here to police eBay and stop people from selling fake jerseys. We're here to help educate people so that they don't buy the fakes people are selling. If you see a fake, report it and hope eBay removes the listing. There's no point getting pissed off over it, that won't change anything.

We've all tried that, it doesn't work. Why risk losing your money because you're stubborn rather than following the seller's (you know, the guy who has your money) instructions and returning it unopened?

I'm as stubborn as they get, but common sense tells me that if the seller says "return it unopened and I'll give you a refund" then I'm returning it unopened. It's not like the seller said "screw you". There was no reason to even contact eBay, the seller was willing to give a refund. It just sounds like this guy is out to cause a problem for the seller. No matter what you do, he's still going to sell fakes. People who sell legit jerseys get kicked off eBay while the thieves are allowed to continue selling. eBay doesn't care.

What you COULD do to protect yourself and others is ask for a refund, return it, then report every listing he puts up. You get your money, you help others. If he blocks you from bidding/seeing his items, make a new account.

I'm actually curious to see how many members here screwed up and bought a fake at some point. **Raises hand**

I didn't buy a fake, but my first jersey I got on ebay I overpaid for and it was a poorly customized jersey that was advertised as an authentic and was really a replica. I tried to return it with the guy (oilerstitan1, or however you spell it), got hassled and threatened by him, filed a claim, lost, and then had to call ebay and appeal. I eventually won, and was told to keep the jersey.

We've all tried that, it doesn't work. Why risk losing your money because you're stubborn rather than following the seller's (you know, the guy who has your money) instructions and returning it unopened?

I'm as stubborn as they get, but common sense tells me that if the seller says "return it unopened and I'll give you a refund" then I'm returning it unopened. It's not like the seller said "screw you". There was no reason to even contact eBay, the seller was willing to give a refund. It just sounds like this guy is out to cause a problem for the seller. No matter what you do, he's still going to sell fakes. People who sell legit jerseys get kicked off eBay while the thieves are allowed to continue selling. eBay doesn't care.

No reason to contact eBay? How about the fact that he was sold a counterfeit item, something explicitly forbidden in the eBay TOS? He's not "risking" losing anything other than maybe his time and peace of mind. If he sticks it out there's no way eBay will tell him he has to suck it up an chalk up that $90 to experience.

Fighting it out when you're in the right is never the wrong thing to do.

What you COULD do to protect yourself and others is ask for a refund, return it, then report every listing he puts up. You get your money, you help others. If he blocks you from bidding/seeing his items, make a new account.

I'm actually curious to see how many members here screwed up and bought a fake at some point. **Raises hand**

I sure did, about 2 years ago. I bought a orange Jeff Carter (there lies the first problem) that I was told was authentic for something like $80. Now every time I see it stuffed away in my closet, I simply laugh.

Fighting it out when you're in the right is never the wrong thing to do.

But when the seller is willing to give a refund, it negates the need to contact eBay. Sure, you could notify eBay that you were sold a fake jersey, but there's no reason to go through Buyer Protection if the seller is cooperating. I bought a jersey on eBay recently that was advertised as NWT (which it was) but when I received it, I found that the jersey had multiple pulls and a hole in the left sleeve that was sewn together from the inside with a different shade of blue thread and was rather easily visible if you expect your jerseys like I do.

Long story short, I contacted the seller and told him I was thinking about returning it because the defects weren't advertised. He said he wasn't aware (and after talking to him, I believe he just didn't know) and he offered to knock 25 bucks off if I decided to keep it. I did. No reason to contact eBay when the seller is willing to work with you, as is clearly the case with the OP.

If you want to report the fake after the fact, that's fine, but there was no reason to go through eBay to get a refund in this situation.

Totally different situation though. The seller in your case just gave a poor description of the item, which you worked out with him, and that's definitely the way to do it.

In this case the seller (knowingly or not) is trying to pass off a counterfeit as the real thing, which is not permitted by eBay. Is it your "duty" to report fake jersey sellers to eBay? Not really, but I see nothing wrong with bringing eBay into this from the start, as the item in question (fakes/counterfeits) is technically not even allowed to be sold on their site.

Totally different situation though. The seller in your case just gave a poor description of the item, which you worked out with him, and that's definitely the way to do it.

In this case the seller (knowingly or not) is trying to pass off a counterfeit as the real thing, which is not permitted by eBay. Is it your "duty" to report fake jersey sellers to eBay? Not really, but I see nothing wrong with bringing eBay into this from the start, as the item in question (fakes/counterfeits) is technically not even allowed to be sold on their site.

Bingo, COUNTERFEIT is the right word to use. eBay refunded all of my money (Purchase price + Shipping). The contact person at eBay, if you can believe this or not collects Chicago Black Hawks jerseys. He pointed out via the sellers pictures, what is wrong with the jersey.

I shipped the item back to the seller, via the prepaid shipping label sent by eBay buyer protection.

About one hour from the package being scanned by the USPS clerk eBay refunded all of my money. They stated they would debit the money returned to me from the sellers Pay Pal account.

They stated they would remove all of the items listed by the seller. The seller could re-list any and all items he had on eBay, but they would have to be reviewed by eBay staff before they are posted. This will have to continue for the next 12 months.

I am pretty happy with the outcome.

But when the seller is willing to give a refund, it negates the need to contact eBay. Sure, you could notify eBay that you were sold a fake jersey, but there's no reason to go through Buyer Protection if the seller is cooperating. I bought a jersey on eBay recently that was advertised as NWT (which it was) but when I received it, I found that the jersey had multiple pulls and a hole in the left sleeve that was sewn together from the inside with a different shade of blue thread and was rather easily visible if you expect your jerseys like I do.

Long story short, I contacted the seller and told him I was thinking about returning it because the defects weren't advertised. He said he wasn't aware (and after talking to him, I believe he just didn't know) and he offered to knock 25 bucks off if I decided to keep it. I did. No reason to contact eBay when the seller is willing to work with you, as is clearly the case with the OP.

If you want to report the fake after the fact, that's fine, but there was no reason to go through eBay to get a refund in this situation.

When I posted NEGATIVE FEEDBACK about the item being counterfeit the seller told me to pound sand. Go deal with eBay Buyer Protection. That is why I took the route I did. I am not going to post positive feedback to a seller that knowingly sold me a "fake" even if he attempts to right the wrong. The seller makes comments (in this format) stating

"The jerzy is the same az the Scots Trade Center. It is identiaical in looks. It is the same as the real won.".

The proof is in the pudding as they say. The seller can't spell correctly, or come close to the English language in grammar. I feel no guilt turning this over to eBay.

Buyer 1, seller 0.

To be fair to the seller, he probably spells like an idiot because there is a character limit on ebay feedback, but still...

The jrsy is same as worn on ice/sold at Scotts Trade Ctr.

Easy. Let's not go accusing fellow members of selling counterfeit merchandise, okay?

Your right, your right...I just find it a bit odd for a member here defending a counterfeiter. Most of us collectors would not make a comment stating "We only have so many characters" to post in response. Especially since the seller of the TJ Oshie jersey got payment within 1hr of the auction ending.

Thanks,

Meta