Ebay 2.0

JeffB

Sadly the same thing has happened to atleast two other people I know (me being one of them). If I sell things to other collectors, I normally give them a break as I assume it is something they want for their collection. Having someone haggle on already low "collectors discount" prices then turn around and flip them is a bit insulting.

Yeah, this was pretty much the situation. First off, he tries to be a smart Arse by telling me that Lemieux and the Penguins definitely did not wear this jersey from 2000-02, which was completely wrong. I was asking $130, which I thought was a fair deal. He offers me $110 for it, and I end up setting on $120. Then he complains about the shipping box that I'm using, so I say fine and give it to him for $117 shipped. I figured that he actually wanted it for his collection, so I figured it was okay that I was taking a $10 loss if it's going to someone who actually wants it. Now here he is trying to flip it on ebay. I think he just buys stuff from other JC members for good prices, then flips it on ebay.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my reply -

"Hi there. Yes absolutely. Im out of town for a week but as soon as i get back. I will add the scans. Thanks for checking it out. Regards"

He told me the same thing he said that he will be out till Wendsday.

Everyone here has an eBay account - it's where we all buy most of our jerseys. Yet many of us prefer to sell items here or on JC first to other collectors, before putting them up on eBay. I think poaching these collector sites to flip jerseys for a profit knowing the sellers also have an opportunity sell them on eBay is shady. Personally I won't ever sell to the person in question knowing he preys on fellow collectors to make money.

All of my jerseys were purchased from eBay. If I need to flip a jersey to make money to buy other jerseys then it will go straight to eBay. I recently sold two of my jerseys to a member on here and I purchased both jersey from eBay but I sold them both for the same price I got them off eBay. If it's something that I'm selling that I just don't need then yes I would offer it to a fellow member for the same price I purchased it off eBay. If that member decides to flip it on eBay then good for him because you knew to whom you were selling the jersey too.

As far as you purchasing something from a collector and then flipping it on eBay then that's not cool at all. The only time I'll sell something to a member is if I know he is buying the jersey for himself and not to flip. So when a buyer wants to make a deal with you, take some time to know him or her and what is their intentions are for buying this jersey. Best thing to look for is to see how active they are on the board.

Everyone here has an eBay account - it's where we all buy most of our jerseys. Yet many of us prefer to sell items here or on JC first to other collectors, before putting them up on eBay. I think poaching these collector sites to flip jerseys for a profit knowing the sellers also have an opportunity sell them on eBay is shady. Personally I won't ever sell to the person in question knowing he preys on fellow collectors to make money.

I also think that it is shady to buy something here just to flip it on EBay. That said, I have found some great deals on ebay and have then sold for a profit. I listed the jersey for what I considered a fair price from other stuff I have seen for sale on the forum. I know there was just that massive sale up in Canada that people are re-listing which annoys some folks but if I find something rare, I do not see an issue with selling it for a markup for what would be considered fair market value. For example, if I go to a old sporting goods store in Chicago and find a 52 white Hawks ultrafil for $50 with the NHL 75th patch, should I really not be expected to try and sell it for the $250 they go for. In my opinion you should not buy from guys here and then try to take advantage of people out there, but if you find a steal at a store or on ebay from somebody not in the hobby and you want to flip it for a fair price to somebody on here to get something you really want that is ok. But do not take advantage of other guys in the hobby.

The more I see Michigan Big Chill jerseys either listed for or selling for stupid money, the more I bless my stars that I got an XL off of the bay for $75.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320863472977?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&rt=nc&item=260940165876

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290692048111?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

And Mike is working on mine for me and gave me a sneak peak, it looks sweet and should hopefully get it and be able to post pics in the near future.

Isn't cityofwinners ConcreteCharlie? Pretty sure he has an account here too.

Yeah, he's ConcreteCharlie on JC. I pretty much agree completely with the points you guys have made. Don't take advantage of other guys in the hobby.

Why don't we have a thread on board members who have engaged in these types of questionable tactics in the trading post section that we can sticky? I mean, this seems to bother a lot of people, and rightly so.

The more I see Michigan Big Chill jerseys either listed for or selling for stupid money, the more I bless my stars that I got an XL off of the bay for $75.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320863472977?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&rt=nc&item=260940165876

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290692048111?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

And Mike is working on mine for me and gave me a sneak peak, it looks sweet and should hopefully get it and be able to post pics in the near future.

I should probably sell a print of this:

The Big Chill

Usually I grab and use logos from the web, but for this one I actually drew the muskrat or whatever it is by hand!

Usually I grab and use logos from the web, but for this one I actually drew the muskrat or whatever it is by hand!

As an Ohio State fan, I approve this message.

Yea, that breaks my heart. The minute I saw it was him that bought this one and the blank Gold Toe, I knew they were going to some abyss to die.

The guy has had one Pens replica in particular - with a bunch of signatures on it - up for at least a year now straight. If he doesn't get the price he wants, he won't care and just keep it up hoping that it does eventually.

I wanted that Gold Toe so bad and was the first purchase I was going to make in about two years.

Sucks. :(

As an Ohio State fan, I approve this message.

+1 :thumbsup:

Why don't we have a thread on board members who have engaged in these types of questionable tactics in the trading post section that we can sticky? I mean, this seems to bother a lot of people, and rightly so.

Agreed. This crap needs to stop, and if nobody here sells to these people it just makes the hobby that much more enjoyable.

Agreed. This crap needs to stop, and if nobody here sells to these people it just makes the hobby that much more enjoyable.

1. Jerseys4thewin

2. ConcreteCharlie

Haha

I think he has one too many 9 in there, should be $6.99.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260945654228?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Hey guyz I really wants this jersey liek really badly but it cost way too much money. Does anyone heer know anyone at ebay that can hook me up with a dizcount? Some interweb psychology said I is depressed or something so I am entitled to your help.

I see some orange stains on the bottom left side of the jersey. Will they come out?