Robitaille 2001 All Star Jerey

redbeard3569

I recently purchased a 2001 Luc Robitaille All-Star jersey. This jersey is a heavy duty size 56 CCM Air-Knit jersey with all patches on it. The Canadian flag and LA Kings patch are sewn into the shoulders and the Colorado Rockies All-Star patch is on the front. Luc Robitaille signed the jersey on the 0 on the back number.

The person I purchased it from claims it came from a raffle at a Stanley Cup party at Lucs place. I assume this means the party was in 2002 when Luc won the Cup for the Red Wings.

Is there any way to tell if this is an actual game worn jersey from the All-Star game? This jersey has every patch including the CCM logo on the neck, the NHL shield and NHLPA logos sewn onto the bottom right. The name plate is flawlessly stitched and the fight strap is perfect.

Every photo I can find of the All-Star game that year shows this jersey to be an exact match in every way to the jersey I purchased down to any visible stitching and location of all patchs. Did the NHL make exact copies of the player jerseys that year for sale? I got the jersey on the cheap since the seller isn't a hockey fan. The jersey was in a box for 10 years (so the seller claims) and he was selling off some stuff to clean out his garage so even if it's just a signed promotional jersey I still am thrilled.

Thanks for any insite you all can provide. Pics are linked.My link My link My link My link My link My link

It very well could be. The small NHLPA logo embroidered on the hem there is a on-ice-only sort of thing so that would lend it to being at the very least a game-issued jersey. Speaking from experience also, the fact that it's a size 56 is also a very good nod to it being his jersey. His size in the old 6100's was indeed a 56. Is there any sort of letter/number combo code sewn into the fight strap? Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.dropthepucks.com/Fredericktown/images/Allstar/1999Primeautag.JPG

It very well could be. The small NHLPA logo embroidered on the hem there is a on-ice-only sort of thing so that would lend it to being at the very least a game-issued jersey. Speaking from experience also, the fact that it's a size 56 is also a very good nod to it being his jersey. His size in the old 6100's was indeed a 56. Is there any sort of letter/number combo code sewn into the fight strap? Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.dropthepucks.com/Fredericktown/images/Allstar/1999Primeautag.JPG

There is nothing sewn onto the fight strap. The strap is completely clean. I am linking a close up pic of the NHLPA logo since this is new info to me. I had no idea that was an on-ice thing. Thanks for that. My link

Another question... If that sewn in logo means it is likely at least a game-issued if not a game-worn how many would exist? How many jerseys do the typically make per player for an All-Star game?

I think it is 1 for each period and 1 for pre-game.

I recently purchased a 2001 Luc Robitaille All-Star jersey. This jersey is a heavy duty size 56 CCM Air-Knit jersey with all patches on it. The Canadian flag and LA Kings patch are sewn into the shoulders and the Colorado Rockies All-Star patch is on the front. Luc Robitaille signed the jersey on the 0 on the back number.

The person I purchased it from claims it came from a raffle at a Stanley Cup party at Lucs place. I assume this means the party was in 2002 when Luc won the Cup for the Red Wings.

Is there any way to tell if this is an actual game worn jersey from the All-Star game? This jersey has every patch including the CCM logo on the neck, the NHL shield and NHLPA logos sewn onto the bottom right. The name plate is flawlessly stitched and the fight strap is perfect.

Every photo I can find of the All-Star game that year shows this jersey to be an exact match in every way to the jersey I purchased down to any visible stitching and location of all patchs. Did the NHL make exact copies of the player jerseys that year for sale? I got the jersey on the cheap since the seller isn't a hockey fan. The jersey was in a box for 10 years (so the seller claims) and he was selling off some stuff to clean out his garage so even if it's just a signed promotional jersey I still am thrilled.

Thanks for any insite you all can provide. Pics are linked.My link My link My link My link My link My link

the NHLPA patch tells me that's a GAMER. I have a Lemieux from that very year minus the NHLPA patch.

You got a great jersey.

the NHLPA patch tells me that's a GAMER. I have a Lemieux from that very year minus the NHLPA patch.

You got a great jersey.

Not necessarily. There are always game issued blanks that make their way out into the market all the time. He could have gotten one of those that was customized with Robitaille. Unless there's game wear, assume its issued or a customized GI'd blank.

Absolutely. You've got yourself a really nice piece there. IF you ever decided to resell it too, you wouldn't be wrong by claiming it to be, at the very least, a game-issued jersey from the greatest left wing ever to play the game.

Absolutely. You've got yourself a really nice piece there. IF you ever decided to resell it too, you wouldn't be wrong by claiming it to be, at the very least, a game-issued jersey from the greatest left wing ever to play the game.

Well I have no idea how this snuck through eBay until it got to me for $150 but I certainly am glad all you guys missed it. I am not a serious collector and really only own a few jerseys all associated with the Manchester Monarchs or the LA Kings and this will certainly be a center piece jersey.

Thanks for all the input on what I bought. I took a flier on a jersey that had limited info and bad pics and certainly found a diamond in the rough. Makes it all worth it.

• 2 years later...

It's nice after all this time to get an answer to a question. The All-Star jersey I posted about over 2 years ago was indeed raffled off by Luc Robitaille the year he won the Stanley Cup with the Red Wings. it seems Luc had a party at his house for about 300 people to celebrate his Cup win and he raffled off a bunch of pucks, sticks, etc. It was a private party for friends and family and one of the items he raffled off was indeed the jersey I have.

How did I finally get an answer to this? Asked the man himself.

LucRobitaille002.jpg

LucRobitaille001.jpg

He did a speaking engagement for the Manchester Monarchs and afterward took time for pictures and autographs. He actually remembered the jersey and recalled raffling it off at the party. It is one of four jerseys that was made for him that year. It wasn't worn in the game but is one he was given for his personal collection. Makes it pretty darn special in my humble opinion.

So the story the eBay seller told me was true after all.

One of those rare happy endings to a risky eBay purchase.

Very happy for you that you got confirmation on this; you got a really great jersey! As a huge Robitaille fan, I have to say I'm quite envious- congrats!

It's nice after all this time to get an answer to a question. The All-Star jersey I posted about over 2 years ago was indeed raffled off by Luc Robitaille the year he won the Stanley Cup with the Red Wings. it seems Luc had a party at his house for about 300 people to celebrate his Cup win and he raffled off a bunch of pucks, sticks, etc. It was a private party for friends and family and one of the items he raffled off was indeed the jersey I have.

How did I finally get an answer to this? Asked the man himself.

He did a speaking engagement for the Manchester Monarchs and afterward took time for pictures and autographs. He actually remembered the jersey and recalled raffling it off at the party. It is one of four jerseys that was made for him that year. It wasn't worn in the game but is one he was given for his personal collection. Makes it pretty darn special in my humble opinion.

So the story the eBay seller told me was true after all.

One of those rare happy endings to a risky eBay purchase.

I own the white TPS gloves that he ended up not wearing in that All Star Game, autographed of course. Might have to dig those out of storage for a quick pic...