I have found a good use for purchasing fake NHL jerseys..

Displaced Swede - FJC

This may make me a bad person, or " A part of the problem" but my mens hockey team has just purchased our new uniforms, and they came to $26 a piece....The are, Fake Pittsburgh Penguins jerseys. We got enough numbers to outfit our whole team. Kunitz 14, Guerin 13, Crosby 87, Malkin 71, Staal 11, Lemieux 66, Fleury 29, Orpik 44, Letang 58, Talbot 25, Kennedy 48, Hossa 18 Gonchar 55, Fedotenko 26,

THose 14 jerseys will outfit our whole team. When they arrive we will just be taking off the namebars. And they were cheaper than going through a company that specializes in making teams uniforms....

Well at least you are gonna put the fakes to a use. You aren't trying to pawn them off as the real deal, so this to me isn't an issue.

Yeah it could be argued that this puts money into the counterfeiters pockets and that will just continue the cycle of fakes. However I do commend the creative use of them.

I would join the team if they didn't use Penguins jerseys! :lol:

But what Hockey Music said. Might be putting money into the hands of the counterfeiters, but at least you are using the jersey for something useful.

It was either going to be penguins or Canadians....those are the only two teams with enough jerseys of different players

• 2 weeks later...

I am doing the exact same thing for a little 3-on-3 team for a couple local tournaments this summer. Since there are only 5 of us on the team, we went with the Boston Bruins with 4-Orr, 17-Lucic, 30-Thomas, 37-Bergeron and 91-Savard.

I ordered from dhgate.com last week and should hopefully get them by this Friday (seeing as the tournament is Saturday morning).

I'm most interested to see how BAD the jerseys are and how closely the fakes represent the fakes shown in all the pictures.

There are stories of people purchasing fakes that don't even look like what the fake jerseys should look like. Is it even possible to make a fake fake?

One of the other hockey forums I post on has a multi-page thread of people who buy and want to buy fakes. One person ended up getting a Canada jersey with Brodeur and #9!!!

Another person ordered 200 fakes and had them shipped to three different addresses for him. Then he posted wondering why Canadian customs hasn't released his order to him. Gee, I wonder why that would be... :rolleyes:

One of the other hockey forums I post on has a multi-page thread of people who buy and want to buy fakes. One person ended up getting a Canada jersey with Brodeur and #9!!!

Another person ordered 200 fakes and had them shipped to three different addresses for him. Then he posted wondering why Canadian customs hasn't released his order to him. Gee, I wonder why that would be... :rolleyes:

Hey, mind sharing the forum with us? Wanna read and see what they are up to...

Your wish is my command...

The thread where everyone is talking about fake jerseys...no one has posted for a couple days though:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=735628

Thread about the guy who has 200 fakes in customs..would love to know how this turns out but he hasn't come around much except to argue about why he's in the right.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=749454

By the way, the idiot quotient on that board I linked to can be off the charts...

Well, this plan as somewhat backfired....

I received a Home, Aways, and Winter Classics in my shipment of BLACK jerseys....

I just realized i could have gotten a selection of 20 different numbers had I gone the Team Canada route, since they seemed to think that Lecavalier, Price, Carter, and both Pronger numbers 20, and 25

What a dumbass! :lol:

I can certainly understand the reasoning behind why many consumers would be happy to buy fraudulent merchandise. After all, the prices are completely insane and times are tough. But keep in mind that by purchasing jerseys from sites like DHGATE and the many others like it out there, those consumers are deeply impacting the legitimate jersey retail sites like IceJerseys.

I can understand that licensed jersey prices are very high - and in lots of ways consumers would like to stick it to the big guys like Reebok, the NHL and the NHLPA - not to mention the lure of the price of fakes is very strong. But offshore fraud sites like these have taken a HUGE chunk of business away from legitimate jersey retailers like IceJerseys over the past couple of years. Our jersey business has dropped considerably as a percentage of our overall sales (luckily we have made up for it in other categories) and as a result, we have no choice but to carry less jersey inventory. When we order less inventory, the manufacturers order less inventory and offer less product selection. It then becomes more difficult for consumers to get access to a full selection and range of legitimate licensed jerseys when they do actually need them.

In addition, supporting fraud hurts the hardworking everyday employees that work for good companies like Icejerseys and even Reebok or the NHL. By not buying official merchandise, you are not hurting the multimillionaire players, owners and Reebok execs, you are actually hurting hardworking regular people like you and I. By supporting fraud, you are in effect taking away jobs from good people in the USA and Canada, to put money in the hands of some very shady characters. Sure, your one jersey may seem like no big deal, but when you add up all those single jerseys, the overall impact on the North American jersey business and overall economy is tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars lost. And when that happens, you know it is always the little guy who is going to lose out.

Don't mean to be too preachy, but just some food for thought.

I can certainly understand the reasoning behind why many consumers would be happy to buy fraudulent merchandise. After all, the prices are completely insane and times are tough. But keep in mind that by purchasing jerseys from sites like DHGATE and the many others like it out there, those consumers are deeply impacting the legitimate jersey retail sites like IceJerseys.

I can understand that licensed jersey prices are very high - and in lots of ways consumers would like to stick it to the big guys like Reebok, the NHL and the NHLPA - not to mention the lure of the price of fakes is very strong. But offshore fraud sites like these have taken a HUGE chunk of business away from legitimate jersey retailers like IceJerseys over the past couple of years. Our jersey business has dropped considerably as a percentage of our overall sales (luckily we have made up for it in other categories) and as a result, we have no choice but to carry less jersey inventory. When we order less inventory, the manufacturers order less inventory and offer less product selection. It then becomes more difficult for consumers to get access to a full selection and range of legitimate licensed jerseys when they do actually need them.

In addition, supporting fraud hurts the hardworking everyday employees that work for good companies like Icejerseys and even Reebok or the NHL. By not buying official merchandise, you are not hurting the multimillionaire players, owners and Reebok execs, you are actually hurting hardworking regular people like you and I. By supporting fraud, you are in effect taking away jobs from good people in the USA and Canada, to put money in the hands of some very shady characters. Sure, your one jersey may seem like no big deal, but when you add up all those single jerseys, the overall impact on the North American jersey business and overall economy is tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars lost. And when that happens, you know it is always the little guy who is going to lose out.

That's not preachy at all........just the facts.

I refuse to by fakes for a number of reasons.

My question is why Reebok is not sending teams of lawyers out to shut these guys down? They are using the Reebok name on fake merchandise and doing it out in the open.

I am also disgusted by Ebay, being used as a conduit for these illegal goods. Everyone can spot the fakes. Seems to me that makes Ebay an accessory to the crime.

Anyway, that my 2 cents.

That's not preachy at all........just the facts.

I refuse to by fakes for a number of reasons.

My question is why Reebok is not sending teams of lawyers out to shut these guys down? They are using the Reebok name on fake merchandise and doing it out in the open.

I am also disgusted by Ebay, being used as a conduit for these illegal goods. Everyone can spot the fakes. Seems to me that makes Ebay an accessory to the crime.

Anyway, that my 2 cents.

The problem is that all of these operations are based in China and are well protected by the Chinese government. Imagine the effect shutting down every factory in China that produces counterfit goods would have on there economy. Companies like RBK etc know they would have to spend millions of dollars to go after these guys and probably end up with little to no results. Companies really have there hands tied when it comes to this kind of thing and until our governments step in and help take action this kind of garbage will continue to happen.

Fake jerseys MUST drive up the prices on legit stuff to...I just don't see how it can't. Which sucks because whenever the day comes when the fake stuff goes away, I doubt the legit companies will drop the prices. lol

Fake jerseys MUST drive up the prices on legit stuff to...I just don't see how it can't. Which sucks because whenever the day comes when the fake stuff goes away, I doubt the legit companies will drop the prices. lol

The fake stuff will never go away.

I don't see how fake jerseys would drive the prices UP? In my experience they drive prices DOWN (and not in a good way). Because of the influx of fake jerseys, it's hard to sell legit jerseys on eBay for a reasonable price. The secondary market for collectors is drastically hurt by the fakes.

I do blame Reebok and now Nike for helping the fake market by overcharging for retail authentics and producing low-quality replicas.

I don't see how fake jerseys would drive the prices UP? In my experience they drive prices DOWN (and not in a good way). Because of the influx of fake jerseys, it's hard to sell legit jerseys on eBay for a reasonable price. The secondary market for collectors is drastically hurt by the fakes.

I do blame Reebok and now Nike for helping the fake market by overcharging for retail authentics and producing low-quality replicas.

that's the secondary market. I refer to what you mentioned at the end of your post...By charging $400 for Authentic jerseys and offering vastly inferior (in my opinion) replicas the actual companies are literally driving people who couldn't care less about authenticity into the arms of the counterfeiters. That's my thought on the matter anyway.

When they have such high profit margins on these things, why charge so much? they make the authentic jerseys for like 10 bucks or something don't they?

that's the secondary market. I refer to what you mentioned at the end of your post...By charging $400 for Authentic jerseys and offering vastly inferior (in my opinion) replicas the actual companies are literally driving people who couldn't care less about authenticity into the arms of the counterfeiters. That's my thought on the matter anyway.

When they have such high profit margins on these things, why charge so much? they make the authentic jerseys for like 10 bucks or something don't they?

The authentics are made in Canada so I doubt they cost $10 make.

The authentics are made in Canada so I doubt they cost $10 make.

hmmm...good point. I'm trying to dig up that article I read....

These are the true facts. I agree that it is indeed hurting legitimate businesses and also fans who want to support their favourite teams with pride. When I go to Canucks games at GM Place, I see quite a few fake jerseys and to me, that's a bad way to support your team. The fake jerseys look really bad and if you want to support your team, then wear a team t-shirt or something else to show your colours, instead of a fake representation. Just my 2 cents.

When has there ever really been a market for retail authentic? A very low percentage of customers buying jerseys in stores buy authentic. I've worked in licensed sports retail, and I would estimate that I sold one authentic jersey for every 200 replicas.

You have a point on low-quality replicas with Reebok. (I thought this year's IIHF replicas by Nike were pretty good.) That said, most of the fake garbage on the market is no better in quality than a replica, with a bad fight strap sewn in to convince the average person that it's an authentic jersey.