I have found a good use for purchasing fake NHL jerseys..

Displaced Swede - FJC

I agree with the last few posts here. It's terrible how North Americans are buying into the "fake" jersey market. I was waiting for the bus to go home today and about 10 people walked passed me today wearing Penguins jerseys. I would say 2 out of those 10 were wearing LEGIT jerseys. And even those legit ones were the CHEAP crappy screened on print name and number replicas. One quick glance at the people wearing the fakes and you can tell they are really fake jerseys - way off customization, huge fight strap, team colors are off, etc.

It really kind of hurts my eyes to see SO MANY fakes. It's so much worse at the games themselves. Fakes left and right. Makes me want to vomit.

There are tons of reasons why people are so stupid and buy fakes. I could go on and on but I will just address one that's high up on my list and that's the price or cost of the jersey.

No doubt that people are cheap and want to spend as little money as possible on a hockey jersey. People just aren't willing to dish out close to $200 for a good quality licensed customized replica. Authentics are over $200 for just a blank!!! So it leads me to believe people are using ebay and fake jersey sites to get their merchandise. They don't care if the jersey is "authentic" but as long as it is "close enough" to looking like what the team wears. Customization I saw on an EDGE authentic today looked WAY OFF. But do you think the wearer of the jersey cares? No. They just care that it didn't cost them a ton and that it looks like what the team is wearing. To myself I think, how can one go around wearing a jersey with shi**y customization? Oh yeah that's right, people aren't as educated in NHL jerseys as I am...

Bottom line, money talks... and wherever one can find the best "deal" is where that hard earned money is going. Very sad, but true.

I agree that while buying fakes is the wrong thing to do, RBK and the NHL should be working harder toward shutting down websites that sell them. I've sent them e-mails and gotten back short responses that say "we're working on it". If RBK was really serious, they would shut these sites down the second they pop-up.

I agree that while buying fakes is the wrong thing to do, RBK and the NHL should be working harder toward shutting down websites that sell them. I've sent them e-mails and gotten back short responses that say "we're working on it". If RBK was really serious, they would shut these sites down the second they pop-up.

We had a meeting at Reebok headquarters in Montreal in early February. We were presented the full 2010-11 jersey lineup by the product manager for licensed jerseys (yes, we know what all of next year's new designs will look like - but can't divulge). This product manager is THE guy that oversees all jersey development for the NHL and other leagues. A big part of our meeting was focussed on the black market and how the proliferation of fakes is seriously impacting jerseys sales for us (and however it is impacting our sales, you can be sure it is affecting Reebok much more significantly).

Reebok is well aware of the situation, and I believe it is something they are trying to address seriously. The product manager told me to forward any evidence of sites selling illegal knock-offs, and since that meeting, I have forwarded a few emails with links to many sites. All of this info has been forwarded to their legal team to be pursued. The problem is, it is a very slow process and an ongoing uphill battle (as it always is where fraud is concerned). As a result, I'm not sure the problem will ever go away - but as long as Reebok does their best to make it difficult for these operations to conduct business (both online and offline), it is a step in the right direction. We also discussed the importance of educating the public on the merits of getting officially licensed merchandise (ad campaigns etc.), and possibly adding features to their merchandise that would be difficult and costly to replicate. I am hoping that a combination of these efforts over time will at least make it a lot more difficult for these con artists to profit. It is just too easy right now.

We had a meeting at Reebok headquarters in Montreal in early February. We were presented the full 2010-11 jersey lineup by the product manager for licensed jerseys (yes, we know what all of next year's new designs will look like - but can't divulge). This product manager is THE guy that oversees all jersey development for the NHL and other leagues. A big part of our meeting was focussed on the black market and how the proliferation of fakes is seriously impacting jerseys sales for us (and however it is impacting our sales, you can be sure it is affecting Reebok much more significantly).

Reebok is well aware of the situation, and I believe it is something they are trying to address seriously. The product manager told me to forward any evidence of sites selling illegal knock-offs, and since that meeting, I have forwarded a few emails with links to many sites. All of this info has been forwarded to their legal team to be pursued. The problem is, it is a very slow process and an ongoing uphill battle (as it always is where fraud is concerned). As a result, I'm not sure the problem will ever go away - but as long as Reebok does their best to make it difficult for these operations to conduct business (both online and offline), it is a step in the right direction. We also discussed the importance of educating the public on the merits of getting officially licensed merchandise (ad campaigns etc.), and possibly adding features to their merchandise that would be difficult and costly to replicate. I am hoping that a combination of these efforts over time will at least make it a lot more difficult for these con artists to profit. It is just too easy right now.

Crywolf

Was there any talk from retailers like yourself regarding the inaccuracies that have been happening

on CCM and Reeboks part the past few years when they are doing throwbacks. I'll the site the Devils front crest on the red/green

throwback as the most recent example.

Thanks-

We also discussed the importance of...possibly adding features to their merchandise that would be difficult and costly to replicate.

I see dye-sublimated gradients in our immediate futures... Lots of gradients.

I see dye-sublimated gradients in our immediate futures... Lots of gradients.

Do you mean like the ummmm..... 1995 (i think) jerseys?

Obviously it is in Reebok's best interest to pursue this as a legal matter. They own the licensed rights for NHL merchandising and it's only their loss if they don't go after the fraud.

Honestly though, would consumers still buy Reebok licensed jerseys even if they are more expensive than the fakes? Let's say Reebok shuts down a majority of these fake sites and sellers. Will Reebok do anything to increase customer traffic like lowering prices or big sales?

I would be interested to find out what happens once Reebok takes these people to court.

Well, perhaps from Reebok's perspective is that the legal costs to pursue these people far outweighs than the amount of profit lost to the counterfeiters? I mean, from an even more skeptical point of view, Reebok pushes x amount out to retailers. If the retailers sell out their stock, they'd order more from Reebok. If they don't, Reebok sure as hell won't buy it back from them. So really, Reebok is only losing the potential for additional profit. Its the individual retailers that lose out, and they are pretty powerless to do anything about the counterfeiters and the counterfeit resellers

Don't get me wrong, I think rbk should do whatever they need to in order to protect the trademarks they paid for. But I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for them (or nike, or whoever) when they've aggressively limited distribution, reduced quality, and mandated high prices. How much effort/coin do they really expect people to put in, just to get their "exclusive" product? Not everyone can be Tiffany's.

One of my friends intends on buying fakes to have them autographed and framed. It makes me shake my head on how bad that is going to look... :o

Anyway, I basically try not to chastise people when they buy fakes, though it does bother me. My older sister bought my brother a fake jersey for Christmas and this was AFTER I had pointed my mother towards IJ to buy a jersey for him. My mom was all excited that my sister had found a place to get a Malkin jersey that was embroidered and they insisted it was a legitimate jersey. When my brother opened it on Christmas morning, I was the only one among my family that knew the truth but etiquette forced me to keep my mouth shut.

I do my best to educate people both in terms of my real life friends and family along with my fellow users on other message boards. Unfortunately, my efforts fail for the most part as most people can only go on and on about what great deals they are getting. But I think we really need to keep trying and let people know legitimate deals ARE out there. For instance, you can join Ice Jersey's email list and get coupons that way...look up licensed retailers on Ebay, etc. Honestly, one of my friends just bought a jersey from SportsK and it was a moral victory for me. :D

I am also disgusted by Ebay, being used as a conduit for these illegal goods. Everyone can spot the fakes. Seems to me that makes Ebay an accessory to the crime.

Totally agree with that. I remember someone on here contacting them to be told they won't do anything unless Reebok (or whoever) complains. Seems bizarre they can act as an intermediary for what they, at best, suspect are counterfeit goods.

Crywolf

Was there any talk from retailers like yourself regarding the inaccuracies that have been happening

on CCM and Reeboks part the past few years when they are doing throwbacks. I'll the site the Devils front crest on the red/green

throwback as the most recent example.

Thanks-

No - we did not touch on that subject. What exactly is the issue with the devils crest?

No - we did not touch on that subject. What exactly is the issue with the devils crest?

Here's what it looks like on these new jerseys.

P1070833-1024x768.jpg

And here's what it should look like...

burke250.jpg

burke80.jpg

The most noticeable mistakes are the bottom of the N overlapping the circle for some reason, and the tail being a little off. The top of the tail should touch the circle, and there should be more space between the bottom of the tail and the circle.

I think the biggest problems with the fakes is that they're cheap, and fans with less available resources can finally scoop up something that looks legitimate. I mean, I know places where fake jerseys are killing HOODIE sales because they're being sold for less than that. I don't think there is a perfect was to fix this...I know any Flyers' game I go to I attempt to play count the fakes and give up after 100...

Do you see Reebok adding elements to authenticate that the jersey is real. Like a plastic encased hologram sewn onto the jersey? Umbro has done this with England National Soccer Team jerseys started doing this because fake jerseys have become a real problem for them. I for one will never buy a fake jersey, I can't stand that I see so many of them at Verizon Center.

The most noticeable mistakes are the bottom of the N overlapping the circle for some reason, and the tail being a little off. The top of the tail should touch the circle, and there should be more space between the bottom of the tail and the circle.

I'm not sure where that pic is from, but this is what the jerseys actually look that we sell. I pulled this one from our warehouse and took a quick pic with my BB:

devils_crest.jpg

As you can see, there is no overlap, and it is basically the exact same crest as the current Devils crest - except the green borders are a bit wider, which reduces some of the white space. It is my understanding that this jersey isn't necessarily supposed to be a 'Vintage Replica', as much as it is a 'Tribute' jersey, incorporating the green style from the early days, but keeping the current logo and fonts - as Lou is a stickler for the current Devils brand.