What is the deal with these numbers on the front

tomtucker

Only some teams have them, i belived a NHL uniform should be the same for each team?

Anyone know who made that choice to put numbers on certain jerseys.

And what if one of those teams makes it to the Stanley Cup finals, where will they place the cup patch?....let´s for fun say San Jose makes to the finals.......where on earth .....?

Only some teams have them, i belived a NHL uniform should be the same for each team?

Anyone know who made that choice to put numbers on certain jerseys.

And what if one of those teams makes it to the Stanley Cup finals, where will they place the cup patch?....let´s for fun say San Jose makes to the finals.......where on earth .....?

That's where customizing a jersey becomes fun. Look at the Penguins 1992 Stanley cup jerseys, Even the 1993 Kings jerseys, etc. They sewed the finals patch onto a separate piece of material and then sewed that over another existing patch. I personally think it gives the jersey more "character", like adding a story to it. I bought a Vintage series 1992 Pittsburgh jersey and did the patches exactly as they did with the SCF patch on a separate piece of black airknit and sewed that around the NHL 75th ann. patch. I even did it with a jersey I wear on the ice with a patch for a Breast Cancer Charity game I played in. (when was the last time anyone on this forum used that word? :rolleyes: )

The 1993 Canadiens did it too with their All-Star Game/Stanley Cup centennial patch:

racicot93finalsfrench.jpg

Yeah, that's it. I only think of the Kings because of that guy that played for them that had all of those records. :lol: It was the last time he made it to the finals before going to New York and then retiring.

IS that your jersey by the way? if so...Sweet!!

Edit: In fact, my first post on this forum was about my Gretzky jersey and nobody gave me a straight answer. Weren't the kings using Airknit jerseys that year? If not, I have to fix a patch.

Heh...no that's not mine. I wish it was because it looks like a game-worn from the '93 Finals but alas it is not. Also, to your edit, the Kings wore ultrafil jerseys in the finals that year. I think they wore the ultrafils all the way up until their Starter years.

Are you telling me that if a team with numbers on the front (and shoulder logos) makes it to the finals, the patch will be placed ontop of the numbers..... :o

Well, it's definitely possible. I know there was some question about it if Buffalo had reached the Finals last year. I'm sure they'll find space though. They always do. I remember the Rangers wore the NHL 75th patch on their left chest instead of the right because the 'R' on their jersey got in the way. That and they also found room for the 'C' and 'A's on them too.

I'd like to see a team wear the Finals patch up on the shoulder again. It's only happened three times and hasn't happened since 1994.

Heh...no that's not mine. I wish it was because it looks like a game-worn from the '93 Finals but alas it is not. Also, to your edit, the Kings wore ultrafil jerseys in the finals that year. I think they wore the ultrafils all the way up until their Starter years.

Are you telling me that if a team with numbers on the front (and shoulder logos) makes it to the finals, the patch will be placed ontop of the numbers..... :o

Well, it's definitely possible. I know there was some question about it if Buffalo had reached the Finals last year. I'm sure they'll find space though. They always do. I remember the Rangers wore the NHL 75th patch on their left chest instead of the right because the 'R' on their jersey got in the way. That and they also found room for the 'C' and 'A's on them too.

I'd like to see a team wear the Finals patch up on the shoulder again. It's only happened three times and hasn't happened since 1994.

So does anybody have a 6 inch square of black ultrafil lying around?

Ha! Yeah, grab one for me too will you? I wouldn't even know where to start looking for that.

If anyone snags a beat up CCM ultrafil from ebay that's beyond repair, but usable, we'll split it! I'll even let you have the logo!

Well, i can´t hold it back no longer.........numbers on the front......blows.... :lol: .....feel free to agree or disagree.

But i still need to know, who is the brains behind this idea?

It was actually done years ago. I think Reebok originally offered it since the new Edge jerseys were supposed to go for the same vintage look.

Vintage you say......so the jerseys had numbers on the front many years ago?

Some teams did.

NY Rangers in 46/47

Rangers3.gif

1434708522_bbead2272a_o.jpg

Bruins in the 30's and 40's

Bruins1a.gif

1434714936_10d1bc9e36_o.jpg

Sabres last year were the first team since the 40's to do so.

If the Sabs were to make it (highly unlikely), wouldn't they just put the patch on the other side? Personally I really like the number on the front of my retro Sabs jersey. I don't think the look works for every jersey but I am a fan overall.

If the Sabs were to make it (highly unlikely), wouldn't they just put the patch on the other side? Personally I really like the number on the front of my retro Sabs jersey. I don't think the look works for every jersey but I am a fan overall.

No can do.....there is the "A"s and "C"

In '98, the Red Wings had to move the "BELIEVE" patch to the shoulder because of the Finals patch.

Yeah, that's right. I actually have that jersey with both those patches. It's one of my favorites:

RedWingscirca1996Nikeauthentic-vi.jpg

i don't think the numbers on the front would work with every jersey, but i can say i think it looks great on the Sabres jersey. actually i think overall the Sabres have the best looking jersey in the NHL right now. don't get me wrong i'm still a Rangers fan, but i think Buffalo hit a homerun with their jersey design after the awful black and red style they used to have.

• 2 weeks later...
i don't think the numbers on the front would work with every jersey, but i can say i think it looks great on the Sabres jersey. actually i think overall the Sabres have the best looking jersey in the NHL right now. don't get me wrong i'm still a Rangers fan, but i think Buffalo hit a homerun with their jersey design after the awful black and red style they used to have.

I liked the black and red, but the Sabres will always be blue and gold to me. The numbers on the front of my replica Briere jersey have started to grow on me. To me, it works for that particular jersey and I hated it at first. For a team like San Jose, it looks too awkward for my tastes. I like how Dallas did theirs on the black jersey, despite the fact I would rather see the Stars logo on there.

I like how Dallas did theirs on the black jersey, despite the fact I would rather see the Stars logo on there.

I like how Dallas did it with their black/home jerseys as well. Until last night I guess I hadn't seen the Dallas away jersey this season during a game (I'm mainly an eastern conference fan). I had falsely assumed that since the Stars home jersey was done so well their road jerseys might have the same classic style - wow was I wrong. The numbers on the front on their white jerseys look horrible. The dark green/gold/black 3-color lettering looks worse the smaller it is - it's okay on their back numbers but for names and the front numbers it looks terrible. On some of the players - namely the shorter ones, it almost seems like they're running out of room between the large Stars logo and the neck of the jersey so the front numbers look all bunched up. I was trying to find an example and it's amazing that I couldn't find a good pic of a Stars white RBK jersey with numbers on eBay, IJ, or any place else I looked. Here's an example from Getty images:

Turco in white RBK Edge

I agree that 3 color numbers look good, but three color names on the back are just too busy. Boston started the year with 3 color names on their white jerseys and changed to 2 color - a vast improvement.

The teeny, tiny chest numbers in 3 colors quickly become a blob or splotch very, very quickly when viewed from any distance.

ok...back to the whole cup patch thing...couldn't they just put the patch under the numbers?

You probably could, but I'd think you'd run the risk of the jersey looking "too busy". On Sakic's Avalanche alternate from 05-06, they have the anniversary patch and the "C" on the same spot, but one is right under the other. To me at least, I thought it looked awkward. I have a hockey card of it somewhere.