Training Camp Used Question???

spudrock512

I need some help from the community on what to do with a jersey that I have.

As most collectors on here know I am a big Zarley Zalapski fan. I purchased a 1993 Calgary Flames Training Camp jersey - #33 no name.  Perfect for the Zalapski conversion right? Well, that was my plan, and what I am still going to do. However, when I received it, there was obvious wear and indications the 1992-93 Stanley Cup Anniversary patch had been removed.  Obvious signs that this was used for that 1992-93 season by Carey Wilson (I am looking to see if I can find a photo match). The Flames back then were well known to recycle jerseys, and this jersey has been stamped with the 1993 Training Camp in the inside back hem.  It was possibly used by David Struch during this time as well.  Zarley came to the Flames midway in that 1993-94 season after being traded and took over the #33. He did not use this jersey.

Now my question for you collectors, Since I am going to just add the Zalapski name to this jersey, I am basically going to treat this as an authentic jersey.  Would you remove as much indication that this was a game worn jersey - get it as clean as possible? Or, should I try and document as much as possible that this was game used in the 1992-93 season, name plate was removed by the team, to recycle for the next season training camp - indicating that the Zalapski nameplate was added later?

Thanks for you opinions - it will help me decide the best route to go with this one.

First of all, since the jersey was already recycled by the team, there should be no issue with your plans with the jersey. As the training camp tagging is a stamp and not an easily removable label, I wouldn't worry about it. I honestly wouldn't worry about documenting anything either unless you plan to sell the jersey down the road, in which case potential buyers should be made aware of the jersey's history.

As long as you are using a nameplate, just use the largest stitch setting possible for it. Then, you can always remove it if you need to down the road. If I were you, I’d do it. 

Would everyone try and clean the jersey as good as possible, or leave the indications it was game used.  For example, the left over residue of the stanley cup patch...clean it with acetone to remove any residue it was ever there (I am sure it will work fine) or should I keep it since that was there when it was worn (even though the team removed it)?  Same question for the puck marks?

55 minutes ago, spudrock512 said:

Would everyone try and clean the jersey as good as possible, or leave the indications it was game used.  For example, the left over residue of the stanley cup patch...clean it with acetone to remove any residue it was ever there (I am sure it will work fine) or should I keep it since that was there when it was worn (even though the team removed it)?  Same question for the puck marks?

If you ever plan on selling it as more than an authentic, then clean it up and do whatever you like. If you want to keep the provenance, then don’t alter it alto much, just stick on the nameplate like Little Miss Sunshine said to.