Dealing with apparent bleach spots, overall "dark" white jersey

Hi folks. I gave this guy a White Revive Oxi bath today and it helped a little bit, but not sure how to deal with both the overall grayish look to this white jersey (big difference between patch and fabric) and also the bleach spots. Any suggestions assuming continued Oxi baths won't do it? Worth trying something like a Clorox Color Booster non-chlorine bleach? Thanks, I appreciate any help or advice.

I would suggest the Oxi bath, rinse and then wash 

I bought a jersey recently that was covered in stains, like really bad. 

I hit it with this (kinda drenched it and let it sit for about 10-15min) 
https://www.target.com/p/clorox-clean-up-all-purpose-cleaner-with-bleach-spray-bottle-original-32-oz/-/A-13027035?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Household%2BEssentials%2BShopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Household&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9021654&ds_rl=1246978&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsfCdv6HV5wIVTfDACh2kQQx5EAQYAyABEgKnZPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And then went over spots of concern with a toothbrush. 

One trip through the wash and it was gleaming white and no signs of stains or streaks. 

18 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

https://www.target.com/p/clorox-clean-up-all-purpose-cleaner-with-bleach-spray-bottle-original-32-oz/-/A-13027035?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Household%2BEssentials%2BShopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Household&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9021654&ds_rl=1246978&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsfCdv6HV5wIVTfDACh2kQQx5EAQYAyABEgKnZPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

One trip through the wash and it was gleaming white and no signs of stains or streaks. 

I appreciate that, Bob! I would assume no concerns with that Clorox cleaner with regards to patches/crest or other colors on the jersey?

I just tried to keep it on the white fabric only but nothing bled. 

And the jersey I used it on was mainly black 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NHL-Pittsburgh-Penguins-66-Mario-Lemieux-Jersey/293454988272?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

10 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

I just tried to keep it on the white fabric only but nothing bled. 

And the jersey I used it on was mainly black 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NHL-Pittsburgh-Penguins-66-Mario-Lemieux-Jersey/293454988272?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Awesome, thanks for the tip once again! 

10 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

I use that same stuff to clean the toilet. 

I'm honestly even considering stripping the patches and crest, carefully bleaching the thing and then have the patches/crest sewn back on after. That'll obviously have to be a last resort, but hopefully it doesn't come to that.

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I use that same stuff to clean the toilet. 

If it's stupid but it works, it ain't stupid. 

51 minutes ago, nitrokubie89 said:

I'm honestly even considering stripping the patches and crest, carefully bleaching the thing and then have the patches/crest sewn back on after. That'll obviously have to be a last resort, but hopefully it doesn't come to that.

That's just silly, I have cleaned hundreds of jerseys. 
Never once did I remove a crest or shoulder patches. 

If the watered down bleach spray I used didn't hurt the fabric, overall color, patches or glacier twill after drenching it it won't hurt your jersey. 

Do what you want though, it just seems like a lot of extra work. 

If you have metallic threads on your patches, or even metallic twill on the jersey, I’d be careful about using Oxiclean or bleach products on them.  

1 hour ago, Hockey Bob said:

Didn’t mean to imply it was stupid, just an observation. Glad it worked!!

No worries, didn't take it that way. Just saying I know it sounds stupid but it worked great!

As you can see I picked the jersey up on the cheap and it needed some work, I'm a little more willing to try something new on a low investment jersey and this was the perfect candidate.

Not only did it come out spotless but the born on tag stayed on too!  

Really pleased with how it turned out with one application.  

Edited by Hockey Bob

5 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

That's just silly, I have cleaned hundreds of jerseys. 
Never once did I remove a crest or shoulder patches. 

If the watered down bleach spray I used didn't hurt the fabric, overall color, patches or glacier twill after drenching it it won't hurt your jersey. 

Do what you want though, it just seems like a lot of extra work. 

No, no, I only meant as a last resort. I'm making a trip to the store to pick up your suggested Clorox and that's gonna be my next step. I'm just being pessimistic. I've never seen a white jersey like this, where the entire thing is essentially grey. Giving it another Oxi soak right now as we speak, and then moving onto the Clorox.

I have to catch the rest of the jersey up to the color of the bleached spots. I think most of the spots in the middle would be covered up by a nameplate and #8, but the spot on the left definitely wouldn't. Plus, a white nameplate would only highlight the problem in its current state.

5 hours ago, LAK74 said:

If you have metallic threads on your patches, or even metallic twill on the jersey, I’d be careful about using Oxiclean or bleach products on them.  

The Oxiclean has been fine, but I'm definitely going to have to be extra careful around the patches. Appreciate the tip (TWSS). The entire jersey is so dark compared to its original color, it's bizarre. My picture actually made it look better than it is somehow.

Edited by nitrokubie89

47 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

That’s what she said. 

Fitz, you’re slipping in your old age. 

But luckily I have trained you well. 

TWSS

49 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

That’s what she said. 

Fitz, you’re slipping in your old age. 

Boy, if I had a nickel...

To update, multiple Oxi soaks and Clorox treatments seemed to help a little, but I don't think anything short of concentrated bleach will work since it's literally the removal of color. Anyone have any other suggestions or have had experience with spot bleaching a white jersey? Based on positioning, an Ovechkin kit might cover up most of it except that spot on the left, so might just bite the bullet and deal with it.

20200223_201119.jpg

Edited by nitrokubie89