Canucks Experts

Van67

1997-98 season. First season with the original orca jerseys (and had the All Star Game patch). Dave Babych is listed as an assistant captain, however I can only find photo evidence of the greatest moustache wearing the A in white. Does anybody have evidence (or know for a fact) that Babych wore the A on the road in the dark jerseys as well? 

1 hour ago, Van67 said:

1997-98 season. First season with the original orca jerseys (and had the All Star Game patch). Dave Babych is listed as an assistant captain, however I can only find photo evidence of the greatest moustache wearing the A in white. Does anybody have evidence (or know for a fact) that Babych wore the A on the road in the dark jerseys as well? 

I also couldn’t find any info that would lead me to believe that he ever wore an “A” on the dark jersey.

I tried to go thru some youtube footage but couldn't find anything.  From what I've seen in other images it looks like Bure and Linden were wearing the A on the black road jersey.

I'm doing the same thing trying to find any old highlight reels from that season but can't find much for road games other than the line brawl in Buffalo. According to the Canucks Wikipedia page for that season, the A's were Babych (Oct-Mar), Bure, Linden (Oct-Jan), McCabe (Mar-Apr) and Murzyn (Jan-Apr). Back then, teams typically dressed two A's. This leads me to believe Bure and Linden wore them full time with Babych filling in when needed.... until Linden got traded in January (A to Murzyn) and Babych got traded in March (A to McCabe).

What I would like to find, if visual evidence isn't happening, is a source for official game sheets as those would have the C's and A's listed. That seems less possible than finding a pic or video.

Edited by Van67

While we're on the subject of 97-98 Canucks jerseys, I found an interesting sewing detail on the numbers. Forgive the Messier jersey, but the site doesn't let you save images so I couldn't do that and pretend the 1 was from another jersey. If you zoom in on the photo of the back number, it appears like they used a reverse kiss-cut style, and then sewed the top layer down anyway. 

https://www.classicauctions.net/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=140250

Edited by Van67

I thought I remembered reading somewhere about how they had some fragility problems with that material when it was kiss-cut, which is supposedly why they switched to layered shortly after.  Although I’m not sure how that would have helped.

You can save any image or open it in a new frame, although the autograph does give it away anyway, 😄

https://www.classicauctions.net/ItemImages/000140/140250h_lg.jpeg

Edited by LAK74

On this one from the following season (98/99), the letters do look like the same material as the numbers:

129575b_lg.jpeg

I hate how the revelations of my questions for this jersey have to be THAT f***in' guy's jerseys! Why can't there be better optics of Bure, Linden, Mogilny, Naslund or Enrico Ciccone!?

Edited by Van67