Retro 80's / 90's Jerseys

Geohay

Hi all.
Being from the UK, I generally know very little about NHL hockey and especially jerseys. I collect sports shirts, mainly football (Soccer) jerseys and buy and sell various other tops that I pick up from charity shops and car boot sales etc. My soccer shirt knowledge is excellent and I know what each top is worth etc, but when it comes to Ice Hockey, I'm stumped!

However I've managed to get hold of a bundle of jerseys that are apparently from the late 80's, early 90's. Most are made by CCM and some are from teams that that no longer exist.

I will probably look to sell them on ebay, but I would like to know what sort of price I can get for them. I don't want to list for £20 if they're worth £120, equally I don't want to list at £120 if they're just worth £20.

I haven't got any photos yet, but I can upload some later if you need.
The list is:

- New Jersey Devils
- Winnipeg Jets
- Calgary Flames
- Hartford Whalers
- Quebec Nordiques
- Washington Capitals
- NY Rangers
- Edmonton Oilers
- Buffalo Sabres
- Montreal Candiens
They're all in v.good condition for the age.

On top of this, I could also get hold of Colorado Rockies game hockey shirt from the early 80's.

If you guys could give me some sort of idea how much these are worth that would help a lot.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone could accurately answer your questions without knowing more details. The main factors determining the jerseys' value are the condition, but most importantly, are they authentic (same as the ones used by the players), or replicas (lower quality copies made for sale to the public). If they are authentics, the styles listed are very desirable to collectors and some could fetch US $200 or even $300 each, depending on size and condition. But if they are replicas, they might not be worth even $40 to $50. We'd need to see photos or at least more detailed descriptions of them to say any more.

Agreed, but with the caveat that some less desirable jerseys could fetch as little as $100. For example, red and black Devils from the 90s go for $100-125. where the earlier red and green go for more.

If you have either in a size 56, we should talk.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone could accurately answer your questions without knowing more details. The main factors determining the jerseys' value are the condition, but most importantly, are they authentic (same as the ones used by the players), or replicas (lower quality copies made for sale to the public). If they are authentics, the styles listed are very desirable to collectors and some could fetch US $200 or even $300 each, depending on size and condition. But if they are replicas, they might not be worth even $40 to $50. We'd need to see photos or at least more detailed descriptions of them to say any more.

Yea, I thought lack of photos would be a main comment. I'll get some loaded up when i'm back from work tonight (UK time - in aruond 4/5 hours time).

With my lack of knowledge I couldn't say if they were authentic or not.

Any key identifiers for the early 90's ones I should be looking out for?

To save yourself some time, all we'd really need to see is a shot of the neck tags. We can all tell what they are based on that alone.

If they're good, post the rest of your photos. You'd probably get a few decent offers without dealing with FeeBay.

Presence or absence of a fight strap is another clue. It would be hanging from the inside rear of the jersey. If it has a fight strap is most likely authentic, if it doesn't it's most likely replica.

This is a good site with high res pics of game worn jerseys.

http://dropthepucks.com/sotg/inventory.html

Go to the NHL drop down menu to search each team, and you can see photos of gamers from the time periods you are interested in. Pay close attention to the CCM logos on the back hem, the brand/size tags in the collar, and the presence of a fight strap on the inside of the jerseys. If your jerseys look like the ones on the site, there's a good chance they are authentic. If they have no fight straps and have letter sizes like S, M, L, then they would be replicas.

Cheers for the info guys, I'm learning by the minute!
From the top of my head, I think that they're most likely replicas. I seem to remember them having M / L etc on the size label and I can't remember seeing any fight straps either.

Is there a difference between jersey's that came from US/Can and the ones that would have been available from the UK? I don't really know much about the history of these particular jersey's if they were bought over here or over there.

Darn it, though that I was onto a gold mine! I'll still have better look through them tonight, with my ever increasingly tuned eye..

Edited by Geohay

Whoo another member repping the UK!

The jerseys available in the US/Can are no different from what we can get. From my own basic knowledge is replicas have a S/M/L authentic's have a size number. Replicas should/will have a manufacturers logo on the sleeve.

Also, just FYI, most CCM replicas from the early 90's or late 80's would have a red/blue/white screened CCM logo on the rear hem. These look quite different from the embroidered logos found on authentics.

Thanks for all your help guys. I'm going to try and get this Rockies jersey too, I've got a feeling that this one might an authentic one, if I get it I'll come back and post some photos.

Thanks again, I've got another string to my bow after today :thumbsup:

I will be listing on ebay eventually (Hopefully within the next 3 weeks as we've got our 2nd child due soon and once he's here i'll have v.little time!)

Keep an eye on my listings, and if you know anyone interested in soccer jerseys, I'm always adding new ones here:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Owls-That-Bazaar?_rdc=1

I hope it's ok putting my ebay shop on here? If not, feel free to delete.

Cheers

The soccer jersey market is pretty different. It's extremely rare to get "Player issue" shirts. Most people collect the standard replica jerseys. They're 100% official and made by Nike, adidas etc, and are pretty much identical to what the players wear, apart from maybe a slightly different material or missing an inner layer etc.

A "knock off" soccer shirt wouldn't be the same as these CCM hockey jerseys, they would be really bad quality and you couldn't buy them from shops, they'd usually be from some dodgy bloke in a pub who has imported them from China.

Some people will still buy the "fan shirts" or unauthentic shirts. But I will always comment if I believe they are fake jerseys or authentic, shop bought jerseys.

How do you get player issue football shirts? I have tried having a look.

They're really rare. They pop up on auctions now and then. Either official player issue ones from teams, or I've seen the player standard ones selling on some sites before, they're like £120-£150 new as opposed to the usual £40-£60 for "Normal" shirts.

Here's a good guide. The official replicas are the most common (still authentic), the "match" shirts are the rare ones that are very rarely sold in shops. Then you have to beware of the actual fakes, that look like the official replicas, but the quality is poor, as they're not real adidas / nike etc.

http://www.soccer.com/guide/authentic-vs-replica-do-you-know-the-difference/

How do you get player issue football shirts? I have tried having a look.

Here's a good site that not only has older jerseys, but also a ton of player issue ones: https://www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk/

Also some teams, like AC Milan, have the player versions on sale on their website.

But it's good to remember that, contrary to hockey jerseys, the player version jerseys are tighter. Well, at least the newer ones. If you're interested in, I have a player issue 13-14 Real Madrid for sale. :thumbsup:

Sorry for the offtopic.

Here's a good site that not only has older jerseys, but also a ton of player issue ones: https://www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk/

Also some teams, like AC Milan, have the player versions on sale on their website.

But it's good to remember that, contrary to hockey jerseys, the player version jerseys are tighter. Well, at least the newer ones. If you're interested in, I have a player issue 13-14 Real Madrid for sale. :thumbsup:

Sorry for the offtopic.

I got quite a few of my AC Milan shirts from classic football shirts

They are quite stand up guys. I purchased a 2003 champions league final team issue jersey from them on ebay.

I did not realize they had the same shirt for sale on their site.

When they dropped the price on the site (by £200) just after the auction ended....they gave me a £200 credit to use on their website....which got me 4 additional player issue ACMilan shirts when they happened to all drop in price.

Very good guys to deal with.....and it does not hurt that they have an "AC Milan kit room" section on their site.....makes getting jerseys a bit easier for me.

The other player issue shorts i got on eBay.....but you have to know what to look for as there are quote a few fakes out there. I have just noticed that there are a few 2007 Champions League final AC Milan jerseys out there.....even with the Adidas "FORMOTION" branding heat pressed on the front hem.