Help with my first authentic Edge jersey

shilenj

Hey all! I've been a reader of this forum for a few years and am finally in a time of my life where I can afford to start my collection of NHL Reebok Edge jerseys.

I'll admit, I know very little about collecting so I have some questions and I need to be pointed in the right direction here to get me started so I can learn the correct way of doing this.

Basically for my first jersey, I'd like to do a 2007-08 Anaheim Ducks Home Chris Pronger with the "C" in a men's 46. However, I'm clueless. I have no idea what my first step should be in the process. To my knowledge, I'd start with buying a blank of that year but I have no idea what to look for and where. I don't know how to tell what an Indo is, what a 1.0 is, what a 2.0 is, etc. so I need to learn what these are. Can anyone tell me what jersey I would need to match the year I'm looking for and where I should look for it? I know people on here use eBay but again, I'm clueless and I know eBay is full of fakes so I definitely want to be careful because the last thing I want to do is buy a knockoff. I want no part of fake jerseys and to my knowledge no one on this site does either.

After I manage to find the right jersey, from what I've gathered I would then look in the NHL Team Customizers thread to figure out who the Ducks' team customizer was for 2007-08 and send it to them to do the job. Again, this is what I've gathered by just browsing around here so I may be wrong.

If anyone can help get me started on this Pronger jersey, I'd be ecstatic. I'd also like to do a 2007-08 Ducks Away Andy McDonald after I get the Pronger one done too also in a men's 46. Hopefully I can get some help with these. Thanks to anyone who can give me any information and point me in the right direction!

First off I'd say you'd want to find this jersey. Knowing nothing about Chris Pronger, except his older brother can write a good book, a 7 second Google image search has led me to this

78477586-chris-pronger-of-the-anaheim-du

I personally don't know if that is a 1.0 or 2.0. Maybe another forum member can help. Scour eBay or other jersey sites.

Can't really answer everything you're looking for in a single post. (Not while I'm at work, anyway.) Spend some time on ebay just looking at listings, and the difference between 2.0's, 1.0's, Indos and fakes should start to become apparent pretty quick. Do searches for game worn jerseys to get an idea of what correct lettering looks like. At least one person on the board has a great Ducks collection. Browse that.

First off I'd say you'd want to find this jersey. Knowing nothing about Chris Pronger, except his older brother can write a good book, a 7 second Google image search has led me to this

I personally don't know if that is a 1.0 or 2.0. Maybe another forum member can help. Scour eBay or other jersey sites.

That was the home jersey that was worn that season, so yes, that's the one I'm looking for. Like you said, someone else can hopefully tell me which that is and how to find one.

Edited by slimcutta

This actually shouldn't be too hard. The Ducks started the 2007-08 season (like all teams) with 1.0's, then switched to 2.0's later in the same season. There is no way you'll find a 2.0 from that time period in a size 46, since they were made only for the team in larger sizes only, and not for retail. The Indo-Edge didn't appear until the 2011-12 season, so you have only one option- the 1.0. Any retail authentic Ducks jersey from the early Edge period will be a 1.0, so that makes it easy for you. You'll probably have to find them through eBay, because the 1.0's were discontinued for retail in 2011, so dealers won't generally carry them currently, unless they sell old overstock. I already checked HockeyMonkey, and they only have really large sized (58) Ducks 1.0's.

Here's a 1.0 from a good reputable dealer, although you might well find another at a better price. (I only looked for 3 minutes, haha.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rbk-EDGE-7187-Anaheim-Ducks-HOME-Black-Jersey-46-/330735943823

This actually shouldn't be too hard. The Ducks started the 2007-08 season (like all teams) with 1.0's, then switched to 2.0's later in the same season. There is no way you'll find a 2.0 from that time period in a size 46, since they were made only for the team in larger sizes only, and not for retail. The Indo-Edge didn't appear until the 2011-12 season, so you have only one option- the 1.0. Any retail authentic Ducks jersey from the early Edge period will be a 1.0, so that makes it easy for you. You'll probably have to find them through eBay, because the 1.0's were discontinued for retail in 2011, so dealers won't generally carry them currently, unless they sell old overstock. I already checked HockeyMonkey, and they only have really large sized (58) Ducks 1.0's.

So starting in 2007-08 with the switch to Reebok, all teams wore the 1.0's. Did all teams then switch to 2.0's later that season or just some? And what exactly is the Indo-Edge?

Here's a 1.0 from a good reputable dealer, although you might well find another at a better price. (I only looked for 3 minutes, haha.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rbk-EDGE-7187-Anaheim-Ducks-HOME-Black-Jersey-46-/330735943823

So this is the jersey I'd need to match the season? The price isn't too bad, considering I didn't have to even do anything to find it because you did all the work and I'm still new to this haha. I'd rather pay for something I know is from someone reputable anyway. Makes me know I'm going about everything correctly. 46 is the smallest men's size for the Edge authentics, right? Is there not a size 48? I went to a retail store today just to try on a few and the 46 seemed to fit fine and the 50 was a little too big.

Way better deal here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NHL-Rbk-Edge-Authentic-Anaheim-Ducks-Hockey-Jersey-New-Size-46-MSRP-300-/371108599817?hash=item5667cbd809:g:ZEwAAOSwbqpT0m5y

Most teams switched to the 2.0 around the middle of the 2007-08 season. After 2008, a few teams used mixtures of 1.0's and 2.0's, as some players apparently still preferred the 1.0's. The extreme example is Edmonton- the entire team wore 1.0's all the way through 2012.

The Indo-Edge is the current "authentic" being retailed by Reebok (since 2011). No player has ever worn an Indo in games, so most of us here don't really consider it a true authentic. It has no tags in the neck area, just a green stripe, as in this jersey:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anaheim-Ducks-Reebok-EDGE-Authentic-Home-NHL-Hockey-Jersey-/321922099117?var=&hash=item4af40d67ad:m:mDVtDwXKiD_TF5_y9Ard9LA

Size 46 is the smallest Edge jersey available; there are no 48's.

Edited by LAK74

Great price. Is that a 1.0 too? Reputable seller? If that's the one I need, I'm going to snag that one.

Edited by shilenj

That's a 1.0, which is what you need. I bought a jersey from that seller just a few months ago. Great price, jersey new with tags, no problem whatsoever. I don't think you're going to get a better deal than that on a new jersey.

Great price. Is that a 1.0 too? Reputable seller? If that's the one I need, I'm going to snag that one.

And, he accepts offers so you may even get it for less than that!!

That's a 1.0, which is what you need. I bought a jersey from that seller just a few months ago. Great price, jersey new with tags, no problem whatsoever. I don't think you're going to get a better deal than that on a new jersey.

Bought it. Thanks so much for helping me find it. Nice price too. I received an email saying he's already shipped it.

I'm pretty sure Pronger played in the first home game of the season (I'll have to look it up) so this 1.0 that I just bought should be exactly what he wore on the ice before they switched later in the 2007-08 season to the 2.0's, correct?

In regard to the Indo-Edge's, since no player has ever worn one on the ice, then yeah, I agree, it doesn't really seem right to consider them "authentic" even though they are technically. So for collectors, if they wanted to do a jersey from 2011 to present, what do they do? Is it Indo-Edge or nothing? I would imagine if you want the exact thing worn on the ice from 2011 to present you'd have to get a gamer, as the Indo-Edge wouldn't be the same thing. I hope I'm understanding this correctly.

And, he accepts offers so you may even get it for less than that!!

I didn't even think to make an offer! I probably could have saved a small amount more if I had but I didn't come back to see your reply until after I had already bought it. I'll definitely have to make sure to remember that next time. It never hurts to see if you can haggle.

I'm pretty sure Pronger played in the first home game of the season (I'll have to look it up) so this 1.0 that I just bought should be exactly what he wore on the ice before they switched later in the 2007-08 season to the 2.0's, correct?

Correct. From what I've seen, I think Anaheim switched to 2.0's later in the season than most other teams. The Ducks' first 3 sets of that season seem to have been 1.0's; the set 4's used near the end of the season and in the playoffs were 2.0's.

So for collectors, if they wanted to do a jersey from 2011 to present, what do they do? Is it Indo-Edge or nothing? I would imagine if you want the exact thing worn on the ice from 2011 to present you'd have to get a gamer, as the Indo-Edge wouldn't be the same thing.

Fortunately for collectors, since around 2012, sellers like Jersey Baron, and to a lesser extent, IceJerseys, River City Sports, Cool Hockey, and Frozen Pond, have special-ordered retail 2.0's in limited quantities for most (but not all) teams, and in some (but not all) styles- home, road, and/or alternates. So if you want an authentic 2.0 after 2011, you can find many of them through one or more of these dealers. Of course, as you said, you can always buy a gamer, or even a game-issued, or team-issued blank, but that's not much help to some of us who wear small sizes like 46 or 50, as those aren't generally issued to teams. So you're not actually forced to get an Indo-Edge, unless it's for one of those teams (like Phoenix/Arizona, for example) that no one sells 2.0's of.

I didn't even think to make an offer! I probably could have saved a small amount more if I had but I didn't come back to see your reply until after I had already bought it. I'll definitely have to make sure to remember that next time. It never hurts to see if you can haggle.

Well, you also would have run the risk of someone else buying it while you were waiting for a response. That price was good enough that you were warranted in just jumping on it, it was exactly what you wanted and priced less than half of what the other guy had it for. Well done.

Enjoy that first jersey! I remember when I got my first Authentic (around this time last year)... And it was actually 2 2.0s. LAK & a bunch of others guided me along the way & now I have over 10, which is kind of ridiculous for me. But whatever, I can't help it.

Well, you also would have run the risk of someone else buying it while you were waiting for a response. That price was good enough that you were warranted in just jumping on it, it was exactly what you wanted and priced less than half of what the other guy had it for. Well done.

Enjoy that first jersey! I remember when I got my first Authentic (around this time last year)... And it was actually 2 2.0s. LAK & a bunch of others guided me along the way & now I have over 10, which is kind of ridiculous for me. But whatever, I can't help it.

Thank you to both of you! I'm really looking forward to getting it delivered and sending it out!