Leafs 1978-92 style jersey w/ ProPlayer tagging?

zooeyperry10

Just won this Dougie Gilmour jersey on ebay and i'm in a bit of a twist over a couple of things:

1. How come these jerseys are ProPlayer branded even though CCM was doing the jerseys at the time?

2. Am I right in thinking this is a foul, as Doug never wore the C with this style of jersey?

(Seller's image, i'm sorry)

$_57.JPG

That IS weird. The jersey material doesn't look like ProPlayer material, whether replica or authentic. Looks more like a CCM vintage replica to which someone possibly added a ProPlayer neck tag. Do you have a shot of the back hem logo? What was the listed size?

And yes, it's a foul. Gilmour only wore that style in his first season with the Leafs, and he wasn't captain (yet).

I've asked for a photo of the back, will post it here when I get it. The size was listed as saying it has M on the tag, so it's obviously a replica. It was also listed as having the number 39 on the back, which I'm hoping is a listing typo, or I'm going to have to get the sewing machine out.

I took a look at a ProPlayer replica, let my vision blur out a little bit, and the out-of-focus material did look something like what's in your picture. So maybe it is a ProPlayer, even though I was never aware of them making any vintage replicas. But I'm still half-expecting to see a small block CCM logo on the hem!

That is weird. Never seen a pro player in that style. I'm thinking the same as lak74, someone added a proplayer tag to a ccm jersey.

In regards to accuracy, Gilmour did not wear the C in that style and the letters and numbers are off as well.

The name font did not change until Nike took over in 97-98. The font on that jersey looks like what they use currently.

To my knowledge ProPlayer did not make any vintage jerseys. They only manufactured NHL jerseys for about a year. I never saw anything vintage when the liquidation occurred, nor in any of the catalogs from that time period. From the pictures, though, the crest does look like the Korean-made direct embroidery that the company that ProPlayer used for most, but not all of it's replica production. They also made some jerseys in Canada, and the manufacturing techniques were a little different. I would like to see some better pictures of this. If possible, I would like to see a picture of the inside of the jersey underneath the front crest and the shoulder patches,

There are definitely some weird ones out there. The earliest authentics seemed to look like Starter/PP hybrids with the Starter size tags with the "-R" on them, the Starter (white/orange/black) Center Ice tags, and the older orange NHL shield. Some even had a PP logo sititched onto the sleeve, replica-style.

I'd just like to get a clearer look at the material texture. The pics are just blurred enough so I can't tell for sure if it's CCM airknit or PP replica poly knit; it could be either.

I used to know a guy who actually bought out the remaining pro player stock when the company folded. He showed me a catalogue where there were some jerseys that didnt seem to get released. While it wasnt that leafs jersey they definitely had more stuff planned for release then made it out. This guy had a pro player liberty jersey in both blue and white that didnt get used (hem had the trademark hole burnt in for factory second/prototype). In any event he also told me that Pro Player bought out Starters rights to designs and possibly starter had the rights to recreate the leafs style. Speculative at this point but some pics when it arrives would be cool.

I feel like i've got half of IJ waiting for these pics. The jersey will be here within the next week, and i'll be posting pics of it straight here. I'm still awaiting the hem logo photo, but i've got a feeling i'll have to wait until the jersey comes to post a photo.

Okay so another update that could be pretty important - I asked the seller for a photo of the logos on the 'lower back right of the jersey', and they replied by saying that they were unsure of what I was talking about. Now i'm only guessing here, but could this mean that there are NO logos on the bottom right, ProPlayer or CCM or otherwise?

Maybe, but we're all guessing here. When you get the jersey, if there aren't any hem logos, you could still take a look at the hole pattern in the jersey material to see if it resembles CCM or PP material. And note whether the crest and shoulder emblems are stitched on or merely glued on.

what you have is a cheap knockof, these proplayer leaf jerseys flooded the market in toronto in about the early 2000. every flea market dealer had them for about 10 bucks. i have seen many around the used clothing stores in the city still.

what you have is a cheap knockof, these proplayer leaf jerseys flooded the market in toronto in about the early 2000. every flea market dealer had them for about 10 bucks. i have seen many around the used clothing stores in the city still.

Really? Do you have any examples of these in photos? Even if it is a knockoff, it looks pretty legit - properly stitched logos with the correct materials, twill letters/numbers.

Edited by zooeyperry10

I hope you're right, but what may probably be of more use are closeup pics of the details that you yourself can take when you get the jersey. So far the seller's pics have been pretty blurred, and full front/back shots are likely to show even less detail.

It doesn't look like ProPlayer replica material. In the second shot the blue area looks like CCM airknit. But on parts of the white area, it almost looks a bit like flo-knit, the material used on ProPlayer authentics. I'm still not sure, but I'm leaning towards CCM airknit.

It doesn't look like ProPlayer replica material. In the second shot the blue area looks like CCM airknit. But on parts of the white area, it almost looks a bit like flo-knit, the material used on ProPlayer authentics. I'm still not sure, but I'm leaning towards CCM airknit.

Agreed, that blue material looks exactly like CCM and nothing like ProPlayer.