Problem with a Ducks throwback customization kit, need your thoughts

thecapn

Hi guys,

I've been having this discussion with Mike via PM, but I thought I'd ask the community as a whole what you think my best bet is.

I took advice from here on the forum and contacted Pete about getting a Ducks throwback customization kit. Can't say enough good things about the guy! He was fast and very communicative. Even gave me some help with getting the right Edge nameplate, which he didn't have to do.

When I got the kit (A Selanne, of course!), it looked great, on spec to the on-ice jerseys, which is, I understand, hard to get. BUT there was a malformation in the white twill on the big '8'. I asked Pete about it, and he said he'd be happy to do another one for me, but it turns out mine is the last one...the team customizer ran out of the Jade and Eggplant-colored twill, and they likely won't reorder it.

On the one side, it makes me feel lucky that I have this kit, but on the other hand, I'm a bit bummed.

There's a couple pictures below, but I'm having trouble describing it. It LOOKS in pictures as if there's a bubble, but it's not. The twill is completely flat, but in one spot the normal lines are twisted, making it an optical illusion as if it's 3D.

My question is, is there anything I can do here? Would it be possible to replace the white twill top layer? If so, where can I get a piece of white twill? If I can't get it off, could I pull the threads and sew a new twill layer on top of the existing twill?

Has anyone done anything like this before!?

Thanks a bunch, everyone!

8%20problem.jpg

I'm thinking there might have been some debris under the twill that's makinging it puff up like that. Maybe try removing the thread in that area and pull up the white layer and see if anything is stuck under there.

That is a simple fix. Seam rip the threads for the white layer. It will peel off as twill doesnt bond to itself like it does to fabric. Then use the removed layer as a template to re- cut a new layer of white twill. Stahls sells by the yard but many members probably have it on hand. Other option is have the customizer just send a replacement of the white layer. Dont sweat it, it can easily be fixed.

Thanks chow_hound! I'll ask Pete if he can do it. If I do order a yard from Stahl's, which kind of twill is it? They have Perma-twill, Poly-twill, and P.S. Poly-twill...looks like they recommend the P.S. Poly-twill for jerseys, but wanted to get a second opinion.

Basic differences to those are going to be the application. Some are iron on and some are adhesive backed. Ps is the pressure sensitive which is like a tape consistency backing. They will all have the same front visual appearance so any can be used. I suggest the ps poly twill as you can place it exactly where the previous layer was and it will adhere. If you do an iron on its tougher to place it as accurately.

That is a simple fix. Seam rip the threads for the white layer. It will peel off as twill doesnt bond to itself like it does to fabric. Then use the removed layer as a template to re- cut a new layer of white twill. Stahls sells by the yard but many members probably have it on hand. Other option is have the customizer just send a replacement of the white layer. Dont sweat it, it can easily be fixed.

Don't you have to be a business owner to order directly from Stahls. I've never been able to order from them.

Hi guys,

I've been having this discussion with Mike via PM, but I thought I'd ask the community as a whole what you think my best bet is.

I took advice from here on the forum and contacted Pete about getting a Ducks throwback customization kit. Can't say enough good things about the guy! He was fast and very communicative. Even gave me some help with getting the right Edge nameplate, which he didn't have to do.

When I got the kit (A Selanne, of course!), it looked great, on spec to the on-ice jerseys, which is, I understand, hard to get. BUT there was a malformation in the white twill on the big '8'. I asked Pete about it, and he said he'd be happy to do another one for me, but it turns out mine is the last one...the team customizer ran out of the Jade and Eggplant-colored twill, and they likely won't reorder it.

On the one side, it makes me feel lucky that I have this kit, but on the other hand, I'm a bit bummed.

There's a couple pictures below, but I'm having trouble describing it. It LOOKS in pictures as if there's a bubble, but it's not. The twill is completely flat, but in one spot the normal lines are twisted, making it an optical illusion as if it's 3D.

My question is, is there anything I can do here? Would it be possible to replace the white twill top layer? If so, where can I get a piece of white twill? If I can't get it off, could I pull the threads and sew a new twill layer on top of the existing twill?

Has anyone done anything like this before!?

Thanks a bunch, everyone!

8%20problem.jpg

I'd like to preface my statement by saying that I realize all of you spend a ton of money getting your jerseys done and want your jerseys to be perfect in every way, shape or form.

Reality is that if this happened on a game jersey, it would have gone to the team in that same manner as what your jersey was sent to you. Sometimes the twill has an inconsistency/flaw in it that isn't seen or caught along the way. It happens, and usually, IF it is caught, it's too late to redo it as the teams need their stuff.

I know this isn't what most want to hear, however, it is reality.

I have to agree with Junkyard- that blemish looks pretty insignificant from my end, and while i admit i might be a tad bit upset if it were mine, i don't see it worth going through all the trouble to fix, it'll give the jersey some extra character lol

Please don't misunderstand me! I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T fix it. I'm saying that reality is that if that were a pro jersey, it would be on the players back AS IS.

I'm not offended in any way, and you guys are completely right. And honestly, if this were a normal jersey, I wouldn't probably bother. But it's a fairly rare one, and probably will just get rarer and more expensive over time. It was also a 30th birthday gift from my wife, and she paid a pretty penny for it through Jersey_Baron. It's the most expensive jersey I've ever owned, and probably ever will. And since I have a cutter at work, Mike can sew it, and the twill from Stahl's cost a total of $24 shipped, I figure, it can't hurt to try!

Heck, the way I see it, if I can't get a cut to look good, I'll just have Mike sew it back together, and it'll be just as it was. No harm, no foul!

Oh, and TMLFan, the Stahl's website did ask for a company name, but I just put my work name and address in there, and used my personal credit card. Didn't have any trouble ordering, although they're not open today...they could give me a no-go call in the morning.

Please don't misunderstand me! I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T fix it. I'm saying that reality is that if that were a pro jersey, it would be on the players back AS IS.

Yeah i guess i did go off on my own little tangent, sorry about that lol

I've had issues with customizers putting nameplates on backwards and messing up the stitching on numbers, but as far as i'm concerned they're the official customizers and whatever errors they introduce are for the most part normal

I certainly can't blame thecapn for wanting to fix it though, the jersey is definitely rare AND it means a lot to him so that pretty much settles that

Edited by FlyersFan376

So I got my yard of fabric from Stahl's. I already ripped off the top layer, and it came off nice and smooth with no problems. I have a cutter I'm going to attempt to use. I also messaged Pete and he said he might be able to send me a laser cut top layer as well.

I'll keep you guys posted!

So I got my yard of fabric from Stahl's. I already ripped off the top layer, and it came off nice and smooth with no problems. I have a cutter I'm going to attempt to use. I also messaged Pete and he said he might be able to send me a laser cut top layer as well.

I'll keep you guys posted!

How did you order the twill from Stahl's? I've always assumed you needed a business license to order from them.

Well, I went ahead and cut the twill with a cutter I have here at work. Turned out pretty good, and while the edges may not be *quite* as clean as the original laser cut version, the fact that that warp is gone makes it 1000% better in my book.

Sending everything out to Mike today, I'll make sure to post the final both here and in the "This arrived today" thread.

Thanks a lot, guys! Especially chow_hound for the idea!

Edited by thecapn