Retail Edge 2.0 Pricing To Retailers

AlereFlammam

If I recall, Cosby's in MSG was selling CCM authentics in the mid-late 90's for around $150-200 already customized.

Yeah that's correct. My first authentic CCM in 1994 was a John MacLean that I got at the New York Mets clubhouse store in the Menlo Park Mall (they sold other team's stuff in addition to the Mets, never knew why). Price was $150.00 already customized, and I think $175.00 if you were having something ordered. And I remember thinking it was a lot to spend, but of course I was in high school and making like $8 an hour at the time.

I was going through a bunch of old stuff a few months ago when I saw an old Hockey News I kept from 1991 (don't ask why). There were ads in it that advertised replica and authentic prices, if I remember I'll have to take a picture of the ad and paste it in here, I don't recall what the prices were anymore.

I remember when Gtetzky retired, RCS had authentic double-stamped CCM Gretzky Oilers, Blues and Kings jerseys for $199.99.

That's a great deal for 1999.

Only problem is he never wore a double-stamped CCM as an Oiler though ;)

Yes. I'm aware of that. Still, a deal at $199.99.

How much did the authentics and replicas cost in the 90s and the early 2000s? Also, was there a difference between different brands?

At one point in the 90's there were as many as three companies making replicas at the same time, CCM, Starter, and Nike/Bauer. Usually those would retail for $75-80. And they were for the most part good quality. There was generally not any difference in price between teams.

Authenics were different. The prices varied by team and manufacturers. I remember teams like Detroit and New Jersey retailing for $100-125, while Coyotes were the most expensive, around $185-200. I think I paid about $175 for a Bauer 1st year Predators. When CCM/Koho and ProPlayer split the league in 99, then stable team pricing went into effect for the first time, then around $200 or so a jersey. When ProPlayer went belly up and CCM took over the entire league, they began to rise the prices to where they are today.

Edited by rabinsurance

Authenics were different. The prices varied by team and manufacturers. I remember teams like Detroit and New Jersey retailing for $100-125, while Coyotes were the most expensive, around $185-200. I think I paid about $175 for a Bauer 1st year Predators. When CCM/Koho and ProPlayer split the league in 99, then stable team pricing went into effect for the first time, then around $200 or so a jersey.

That's really interesting that different teams cost different amount…That's also interesting how the popular teams back then cost less. They could've charged more for their jerseys since there were more demand. Not surprising that the Yotes weren't popular even back then :P

That's really interesting that different teams cost different amount…That's also interesting how the popular teams back then cost less. They could've charged more for their jerseys since there were more demand. Not surprising that the Yotes weren't popular even back then :P

It was based on ease of construction. Detroit and New Jersey were extremely simple to make, Phoenix had that heavy knit southwestern trim for the collar and through the stripes.

It was the same thing in the IHL and AHL. Grand Rapids, Carolina (Monarchs), and the last year of Salt Lake were all in the $200-250 range, while Adirondack and Albany was in the $130 range.

Yes, the IHL and AHL jerseys were also flex priced, too. Especially around 1995-96 when the IHL made a bid to move into bigger markets like LA and San Francisco. Also Cleveland and Cincinnati changed their looks dramatically, along with the Houston Aeros and Detroit Vipers. Those jerseys were more expensive, and in some cases, much harder to get. The Ice Dogs' jersey in my avatar is a good example. Bauer stopped making them because the team almost folded in that first year. So the authentics were hard to come by. I ordered one in October 1995, but didn't get it until March 1996. That's also why those Spiders' jerseys are so rare, Bauer stopped making them because the team was running out of money. So while those jerseys were $175-200, a Kalamazoo Wings jersey was $125 or so. Once again, basic design, less time to make, lower cost.

As for the Phoenix Coyotes, they sold a lot of jerseys when they moved to Arizona. Starter was very aggressive in their marketing, and they got their replicas in a lot of retail stores. The authentic was very expensive to make and still to this day is an impressive jersey build, even if you think the design was gaudy. I remember getting that first authentic in the mail, and being just blown away by the details on it. And that jersey took a long time to get, also. A good 5 months between ordering and actually getting it sent. I think that's why a few years later when Starter went belly up an liquidated their inventory through places like Value City I bought so many of them. It's just such a unique jersey, for many reasons.

Edited by rabinsurance