Retail authentics vs. On-ice authentics

I would like to learn more about the differences between the retail authentic jerseys vs. on-ice jerseys. Which brands have the most differences between them and what are they? Did/do they differ a lot in quality?

Can anyone tell me, or redirect if there already is such a topic?

Thanks

IMO, for jerseys used within the last 20 years or so, CCM/Koho, Nike, ProPlayer and Reebok (6100's only) had the least differences between retail and on-ice authentics. Actually, I don't think there were any differences at all (except for the brand neck tag being absent in the CCM/Koho/Reebok on-ice 6100's) between the retails and on-ice authentics.

Starter on-ice authentics were made in the US, and the retails were made in El Salvador and Haiti, so there were some differences in the neck tags, as well as the fight straps.

With the advent of the Reebok Edge (Boooo!) came the greatest amount of retail/on-ice difference in the last quarter century. When the Edge 1.0 debuted in 2007/08, the retail and on-ice authentics were the same except for the lack of brand neck tag in the gamers. Everyone knows what happened after the first set of 2007/08, when teams started using the 2.0 and Reebok continued to make exclusively 1.0's for the retails, even years after the teams stopped using 1.0's. Even new jersey designs which were strictly 2.0 for the teams were made as 1.0's (and therefore not on-ice accurate) for the public. This discrepancy between retail and on-ice authentics became even worse when Reebok started producing the Indo-Edge in 2011, which was never a true on-ice authentic since the players never wore them. (At least the players used 1.0's at one time.) Even to this day, if you get a custom-ordered 2.0 from JerseyBaron or some other retailer, there are still slight differences in the fight strap stitching, and in some models like the Leafs, the retails lack reinforced stitching in the front collar.

Here's some pics of what LAK is talking about with the Leafs

Retail 2.0 collar

15248024295_e96e25546a_z.jpg

Gamer 2.0 collar

15110752317_75cc7ae3df_z.jpg

Notice the little spot of stitching under the lace holes on the gamer

Retail 2.0 strap

12320292045_4272e015b4_z.jpg

Gamer 2.0 strap with extra twill

15110537199_cd75c9c2be_z.jpg

Thanks for the information and photos. It seems that Edges 2.0 have the most differences, which I can imagine has effect on (emotional?) value of the jersey collection.

I've also learned that, next to the different 'made in locations', the Starter material of the retail authentics also were different from the team/game jerseys, Bruins for one. Was this for all teams that used Starter, if anyone knows?

I could be wrong about this, but I wasn't aware of any difference in material between Boston's retail and game authentics. One team whose materials were different, at least for some Starter sets, was Pittsburgh. Some of their game sets were made of mesh or ultrafil, and I don't believe they were made that way for the retails.

• 4 weeks later...

The other thing I've noticed is that the retail sweaters are smaller than the team issue sizes.

For example my retail leafs alternate edge 2.0 in 56 is narrower in the chest and shorter than my gamer in the same style.

The retail measures 25" from the bottom of the NHL shield patch compared to 26.5" on the gamer

What are the general preferences, gamers/team issues or (retail) authentics and why? I can imagine, a gamer from your favorite player is hard to get and expensive, the more cheaper gamers are from players one doesn't always want. Those jerseys from the Baron are more expensive compared to some gamers or other team issued jerseys.

Slap me if I'm asking too much.