Fake Jerseys on display in Restaurants/Bars

Reivax

I recently went to a Buffalo Wild Wing with my wife and son. They're newish here in Canada, so we figured after being to one in the US we'd give the Canadian version a whirl. After being seated, the first thing I noticed was the entire place had fake jerseys in glass displays all throughout the entire place. Yes, all fakes are bad, but some are really bad; and these were the ones so bad that one second of seeing them in your peripheral vision was enough to notice. Plus they were customized with players from the wrong era, and so on. You know, s***ty fakes.

It's sad, but it did become something I focused on a little during the meal. Not because I think "How dare they display fakes in this establishment", more because I think further than that. I think of the owner(s) deciding in that moment if it's worth it to save money in this area and cutting costs and displaying fakes is a good idea. I wouldn't be surprised if I was one of just a few people to ever enter there and notice, so I can see why someone would make that choice, even if I believe it's the wrong one.

I exaggerate a bit on how I obsessed on the matter. The meal was fairly average, but I had a good time with the family, but it is probably something that factors in to why I probably won't go back there. If the food was great, I'd look past it.

If there's a question here, I'm just wondering how often people notice this? As a person that has developed a pretty good eye over the years, I oddly don't notice this very often at all. Not at this level. There were many; all fake. For even a split second I felt like sending an email kinda giving them a little crap for their decision, but I just can't be that guy. Not yet. ;) Anyone gone that far as to call out an establishment for displaying fakes?

I have always wondered about that. I bet there are people at BDubs in charge of purchasing jerseys for the chain and they are pocketing tons of money because nobody in corporate knows they are up to no good. Just convince corporate that a real jersey costs $200-$300, buy fakes for $25-$50, frame them and pocket the difference.

I recently went to a Buffalo Wild Wing with my wife and son. They're newish here in Canada, so we figured after being to one in the US we'd give the Canadian version a whirl. After being seated, the first thing I noticed was the entire place had fake jerseys in glass displays all throughout the entire place. Yes, all fakes are bad, but some are really bad; and these were the ones so bad that one second of seeing them in your peripheral vision was enough to notice. Plus they were customized with players from the wrong era, and so on. You know, s***ty fakes.

It's sad, but it did become something I focused on a little during the meal. Not because I think "How dare they display fakes in this establishment", more because I think further than that. I think of the owner(s) deciding in that moment if it's worth it to save money in this area and cutting costs and displaying fakes is a good idea. I wouldn't be surprised if I was one of just a few people to ever enter there and notice, so I can see why someone would make that choice, even if I believe it's the wrong one.

I exaggerate a bit on how I obsessed on the matter. The meal was fairly average, but I had a good time with the family, but it is probably something that factors in to why I probably won't go back there. If the food was great, I'd look past it.

If there's a question here, I'm just wondering how often people notice this? As a person that has developed a pretty good eye over the years, I oddly don't notice this very often at all. Not at this level. There were many; all fake. For even a split second I felt like sending an email kinda giving them a little crap for their decision, but I just can't be that guy. Not yet. ;) Anyone gone that far as to call out an establishment for displaying fakes?

I always went to B-Dubs back when I was at college. We went for the big trivia nights and at the time I knew jack about real vs fake. I mean if I saw one with a fight strap...even one I know is a horrible fake I'd have thought, "Oh Wow! That's so cool! That has to be the real deal!" I never even gave them a second glance, just like the vast majority of the people who go there I am sure.

Case in point, I bought a Blackhawk White jersey, one of the "Vintage" ones they sell now, with the name "GRISWOLD", (love that movie), and the "00" on it for my mother because she wanted one and didn't care if it was a replica or not. She wore it to work on a casual Friday once and everyone thought it was completely real just like on ice because of the fake fight strap alone. The average person probably thinks most fakes are real, only the HORRIBLE fakes are noticed.

I have always wondered about that. I bet there are people at BDubs in charge of purchasing jerseys for the chain and they are pocketing tons of money because nobody in corporate knows they are up to no good. Just convince corporate that a real jersey costs $200-$300, buy fakes for $25-$50, frame them and pocket the difference.

Oh how devious... yet rather easy to probably get away with because who really "checks" right?

Yea, its clearly just done to save money and still achieve the same, or a close enough, look.

I doubt that anyone is "pocketing" money on it though. I'm sure they have to show receipts for the purchases they make for the restaurants.

Somehow I don't think weeding out fake jerseys is a high priority for a big corporate chain. I'll bet they were purchased by someone who doesn't know anything about jerseys, who got a pat on the back for getting the jerseys so cheaply. And like others have said, the only customers who notice are the nitpickers like us, who frankly are few and far between, even amongst serious hockey fans, let alone the general population.

Lots of autograph dealers use fake jerseys. So if they were autographed, odds are, that's how they got them.

Average non-collector cannot spot a fake. Look at the is it good thread, lots of newer collectors are unsure about certain eBay auctions (myself included when I first began).

This isn't saying fakes are good quality. If I took a properly customized Senators Edge jersey and put it next to a fake one, I'm sure even a non-hockey fan would be able to spot which one is fake based on the poofy letters, weird crests, and cheap feel. But just seeing one jersey on its own, most people can't spot fakes.

Lots of autograph dealers use fake jerseys. So if they were autographed, odds are, that's how they got them.

This is a good point too. Autograph dealers buy the fake jerseys and get them signed then defend it as "the signature is authentic" when confronted.

This is a good point too. Autograph dealers buy the fake jerseys and get them signed then defend it as "the signature is authentic" when confronted.

Yeah, it's a very strange business practice considering they could get Reebok/CCM jerseys at a wholesale rate. When selling something as sketchy as an autograph, having it on a counterfeit piece of merchandise completely devalues the seller's credibility. Which seems counter productive in the long run, since credibility is important when selling something like autographs.

What timing...I was in the BWW in Watching NJ about an hour ago and spent a good chunk of time bitching to my wife about the sad fake Callahan jersey on the wall. The fake Brodeur jersey didn't bother me as much.

I've even seen restaurants offering fakes as prizes for their weekly/monthly contests. Kelsey's in Southern Ontario is probably one of the worst chains for doing it. All of them have had the fakes at one point or another.

Pretty terrible for the winners thinking they got a great prize when it's a $20 piece of crap

What timing...I was in the BWW in Watching NJ about an hour ago and spent a good chunk of time bitching to my wife about the sad fake Callahan jersey on the wall. The fake Brodeur jersey didn't bother me as much.

Funny. I had to do my best to not to complain too much. Luckily my wife's cool about jerseys and asked why it was so obvious. Maybe it's just my age and I don't go to bars as much any more, because this is surprisingly the first really bad case of fakes just all throughout the joint that I've noticed.

The level of obsessiveness is a blessing and a curse. I can't go out in public and see a hockey jersey without automatically assessing it for authenticity, appropriateness of customization etc. It's like having the power to hear peoples thoughts. It will drive you mad.

BW3 is not really worth it anyway unless you go on Tuesday or Thursday.

+1 for calling it BW3's ... these young whipper snappers don't know it was originally Buffalo Wild Wings & Weck

:thumbsup:

that's why i go to Hooters!!!

nothing fake there!

:noway:

+1 for calling it BW3's ... these young whipper snappers don't know it was originally Buffalo Wild Wings & Weck

Agree! There's still one in Columbus (Bethel Road) with the old sign...

CBW3logoedit.png

What in holy heck is weck?

320px-Small_-_Beef_on_Weck.jpg

A beef on weck is a variety of steak sandwich found primarily in Western New York. It is made with roast beef on a kummelweck roll.

You know... I had a couple friends who called it that and I never questioned it. I Just assumed it was a nickname...but always DID wonder what the "three" was for. So...thanks for pointing that out.

We went to our local Applebee's here in SoCal and they actually had real Nike Elite football jerseys hanging up. Granted there were only 5 different ones but still I checked each one out. Haha

some boston pizza restaurants in Calgary have fakes in the glass as well. the glass/frame is easily worth more than those jerseys lol. its embarrassing though.

some boston pizza restaurants in Calgary have fakes in the glass as well. the glass/frame is easily worth more than those jerseys lol. its embarrassing though.

The s*** tickets in the bathrooms are worth more then those jerseys.