My First Jersey

villavelocity

My father bought me an old ChicagoBlackhawks jersey when i was 7 in the late 70's.

That was mine....

I still remember skating around the rinks of Montreal all Saturday and going home in my stinky jersey and watching Le Soiree du Hockey...actually i still do that : )

Villavelocity

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father bought me an old ChicagoBlackhawks jersey when i was 7 in the late 70's.

That was mine....

I still remember skating around the rinks of Montreal all Saturday and going home in my stinky jersey and watching Le Soiree du Hockey...actually i still do that : )

Villavelocity

For my ninth birthday, an old Ranger's sweater with the number nine. I still have it.

My first was a blank white Red Wings, on which I subsequently had Martin Lapointe's name & number added, and on which I subsequently got his autograph.

That started a chain reaction that hasn't abated to this day. :P

Nice. Definitly makes a good first jersey story.

A John LeClair Flyers jersey for me. Was in high school in Vermont and my dad heard about an athlete from Vermont who had made it to the big time, so he went out and bought it for me.

A John LeClair Flyers jersey for me. Was in high school in Vermont and my dad heard about an athlete from Vermont who had made it to the big time, so he went out and bought it for me.

Another good jersey story. I was born in Vermont, and I'll always love the place. If I can get around to it I'd like to go camping with my wife, or at least my sons next summer up there.

Another good jersey story. I was born in Vermont, and I'll always love the place. If I can get around to it I'd like to go camping with my wife, or at least my sons next summer up there.

Only lived there for 3 1/2 years, but my family is from there and much of my family still lives there and always will.

Only lived there for 3 1/2 years, but my family is from there and much of my family still lives there and always will.

Where around? I was born in Essex Junction, but I only lived there for about 8 months. I did vacation there with my family every year until I was about 17 though.

Where around? I was born in Essex Junction, but I only lived there for about 8 months. I did vacation there with my family every year until I was about 17 though.

My dad went to school at Essex High School. I went to Montpelier, but my family is pretty much all over the state.

My dad went to school at Essex High School. I went to Montpelier, but my family is pretty much all over the state.

Cool. I still visit for the Ben and Jerry's factory once in a while. My wife and I stayed in Lake George this summer and drove up for Ben and Jerry's one of the days. There's a little place that sells hot apple cider donuts and lots of interesting food items not too far from there that we always stop at as well. Vermont is such a charming place. I almost went to Middlebury college and I would love to one day try and get on the staff there, should this teaching job take off at my current university.

For me, it was probably in the late 60's when I was 6 or 7 years old. My grandmother gave me a flat box from Eaton's (a now defunct but legendary Canadian department store), and I opened it up and inside wrapped in tissue paper, was a red wool canadiens sweater with a matching knit hat and scarf. I still remember how itchy and uncomfortable that sweater was, and I wouldn't be caught dead wearing the hat or scarf on the rink. It's funny, because my memory of this sweater reminds me of the famous story by Roch Carrier called The Hockey Sweater.

For those of you who don't know it, it's a story about a boy (Carrier I believe) growing up in the late 50's as a fan of the Canadiens (as was every boy in town of course). All he wants for Christmas is his very own Canadiens sweater so he can pretend to be Maurice 'Rocket' Richard blazing down the ice while playing on the outdoor rink with his friends. His mother is too poor to buy one, so she writes a long letter (in French) to Timothy Eaton, at their headquarters in Toronto, asking if he would be kind enough to send her a Canadiens sweater for her son so she can make his Christmas wish come true.

Well, the package finally comes, and the excited boy can't open the package fast enough. When he finally lifts the sweater out of the box, to his horror, it is a blue Maple Leafs sweater! Apparently Mr. Eaton, being anglophone from Toronto, sent the Leafs jersey because he didn't understand the French letter (or he was a typical ego-centric Torontonian!). So, then the boy's mother forces him to wear the Maple Leafs sweater when he goes out to play, because Mr. Eaton was so kind to send it. Anyhow, you can imagine the humiliation he felt on the ice with all his friends wearing Rocket's jersey, while he had to be the only one wearing the jersey of their arch rivals!

I know that was a bit long winded, but my itchy wool sweater coming from Eaton's always makes me think of that story! It is really a great children's story (and a great read for adults too), and if anyone wants a good hockey bedtime story for their kids, you can order it from amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Hockey-Sweater-Roch-...TF8&s=books.

Cool. I still visit for the Ben and Jerry's factory once in a while. My wife and I stayed in Lake George this summer and drove up for Ben and Jerry's one of the days. There's a little place that sells hot apple cider donuts and lots of interesting food items not too far from there that we always stop at as well. Vermont is such a charming place. I almost went to Middlebury college and I would love to one day try and get on the staff there, should this teaching job take off at my current university.

I'm often in Vermont (usually Stowe) and have been to the Ben & Jerry's factory a few times. Great place (both Vermont and Ben & Jerry's)

I'm often in Vermont (usually Stowe) and have been to the Ben & Jerry's factory a few times. Great place (both Vermont and Ben & Jerry's)

Amusing story. I'm going to have to read the original, but it's really funny to think about your first sweater in that context. As for Ben and Jerry's... I uphold that it's still the best ice cream around. I wish I could eat it more, but it's off limits according to my wife.

That was mine....

Villavelocity

My first jersey was a stretchy polyester white Islanders one circa 1977, which I quickly grew out of. I don't remember the manufacturer, but I wasn't even 10 at the time, so I wasn't paying that much attention to things like that. :)

My first jersey was a stretchy polyester white Islanders one circa 1977, which I quickly grew out of. I don't remember the manufacturer, but I wasn't even 10 at the time, so I wasn't paying that much attention to things like that. :)

It's funny you mention that jersey, because I remember one of my early jerseys was a white islanders jersey, probably circa 1978. I think at the time, there were two companies making jerseys for the NHL (at least in Canada), Sport Maska and Sandow Sports Knit (which eventually merged with CCM to become CCM Maska). Well, the daughter of Sandow was in my class in high school, and always liked me (even though I never really gave her the time of day). So she offered to get me any NHL jersey of my choice. I chose the Islanders because it was a unique look and fairly new to the league at the time. It was also a team that was beginning to emerge with some young stars who eventually became superstars (as we all know). The jersey I had was the dureen style (maybe that's what you meant by stretchy polyester?), and although my habs were my true love, that jersey was always a favorite of mine. I wore it to play regularly, until it literally started to disintegrate by the time Culture Club was topping the charts :P

It's funny you mention that jersey, because I remember one of my early jerseys was a white islanders jersey, probably circa 1978. I think at the time, there were two companies making jerseys for the NHL (at least in Canada), Sport Maska and Sandow Sports Knit (which eventually merged with CCM to become CCM Maska). Well, the daughter of Sandow was in my class in high school, and always liked me (even though I never really gave her the time of day). So she offered to get me any NHL jersey of my choice. I chose the Islanders because it was a unique look and fairly new to the league at the time. It was also a team that was beginning to emerge with some young stars who eventually became superstars (as we all know). The jersey I had was the dureen style (maybe that's what you meant by stretchy polyester?), and although my habs were my true love, that jersey was always a favorite of mine. I wore it to play regularly, until it literally started to disintegrate by the time Culture Club was topping the charts :P

I believe I have a Blackhawks jersey in that same material. I used to wear it out on the ice, but I've never been a big hawks fan. I don't really remember how it came to be mine. I think it was second hand though.

Christmas, 5 years old, Devils red and black from my grandfather.

Always a nice way to get your first jersey.

Oh and welcome to the board SteveNJ.

Always a nice way to get your first jersey.

Oh and welcome to the board SteveNJ.

Christmas is the best time of year for jerseys. I love opening a package and finding a jersey inside, folded so the name is facing you when you open it up. When they get you just the right sweater you were looking for it always feels great.

Christmas is the best time of year for jerseys. I love opening a package and finding a jersey inside, folded so the name is facing you when you open it up. When they get you just the right sweater you were looking for it always feels great.

Thank goodness they weren't Christmas colored jerseys! I was 5 just around the time those jerseys stopped being missed.

Yes folks, my childhood was in the slow-paced, glowing puck, trapping-Devil, Fox-ized NHL and yet I'm still a fan at 17!

Thank goodness they weren't Christmas colored jerseys! I was 5 just around the time those jerseys stopped being missed.

Yes folks, my childhood was in the slow-paced, glowing puck, trapping-Devil, Fox-ized NHL and yet I'm still a fan at 17!

I raised my kids through basically the same era and their both tremendous hockey fans. I think I did a good job. One played college and is done, the other is playing college now.

I stopped playing when I went to a non-hockey high school. I emulated Claude Lemieux most of the time.

I was not well liked by other teams one could say.

I stopped playing when I went to a non-hockey high school. I emulated Claude Lemieux most of the time.

I was not well liked by other teams one could say.

I've played for about 45 years. Played college and all kinds of international tournaments when I was in my 20's. Coached college for a little while. Stopped coaching highschool when my younger son graduated. Now I just play beer league and open hockey and go on the occasional trip for adult hockey tournaments.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my first when I was about 12. A nashville predators home (replica + blank + navy). I still have it since we got it for me grow into. I use for street hockey now so its all banged up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! This particular thread caught my eye. I'll never forget mine. I had begged my parents for a jersey when I started watching hockey at 9 and didn't end up getting one until I got my first job mowing grass when I was 11, I was torn between the New York Rangers blue or the San Jose Sharks new ones at the time (they had just become popular). I went with the Rangers since I had seen their farm team from Flint and had loved their style. That jersey was my second skin for the longest time!

Hey Zoom - welcome to the forums. Nice classic story for the first jersey experience. Mowing the lawn to save up for that first sweater... I can relate to the second skin comment.