Islanders Rebranding?

CJ Matthews

That would suck, I always thought the Islanders had such a classic uniform (that should have never been messed with in years past).

Is there a reason so many teams in NY are blue and orange though? I always wondered if it was just coincidental that Knicks, Mets and Isles were all the same shades of Blue and Orange.

They are the colors of New York City. Which makes sense for the Mets and Knicks, but not currently for the Islanders.

Would be ironic if the finally move to the city and then ditch the city colors!

They will rebrand logo and colors. Its unfortunate that history means nothing when it comes to making money. Most owners are there to make money first and as evidenced by recent history if they can accomplish an overhaul like the jets did with a new logo and color scheme that still represents their roots it will happen.

Don't do it! If you win 4 championships in a row, dont change it. They finally just got it right after what, 10-15 years? They already started farting around with those horrid thirds. They should never change their jerseys again.

Haha. Hipsters

I like the Islanders color scheme but, the logo - not so much. As long as they don't go to black and white like the nets

A couple of things:

-I tried to get into this focus group, but the date of the event was the day of a home game (against the Flyers)

-The response from the people who went to the focus group were overwhelmingly opposed to a change

-Charles Wang said the logos and colors will never change as long as he owns the team. The thing that scares me is that he might sell relatively soon and the new owner will change the logos.

-NY Post is a joke and everything they publish should be treated as such

Why would they change a thing? They finally got it right again...even though that black one has to go...but the home/road ones are perfect; just the way they SHOULD be.

No way does Chucky Wang allow the powers that be at Barclays to change the team's colors or name. He's still the owner and he still has to approve any changes, which isn't going to happen.

Leave the uniforms as they are! I'm all for ways to introduce new fans to the sport, but you don't see Jay-Z posted up behind the glass at Islanders games like he is at Nets games(he doesn't own a small stake in the Isles either). Move the team, have a $1 PBR night, hell get a mascot with a beard and skinny jeans, but remember, it may be trendy for a while, but in the end it's the TRUE hockey fans that'll be the ones supporting you!!! Those Nets black and white uni's are snooze-worthy btw...

I think people are failing to realize that where the Barclays Center is located, on Atlantic Avenue and Flatbush, is not a hipster neighborhood. The whole reason the Nets were moved to that specific part of town is because it's a predominantly black neighborhood and they knew they would draw fans because quite frankly, white people with wool coats, skinny jeans and fedoras aren't the NBA's target audience. I don't know when people began associating East Flatbush with hipsters and yuppies, it's not Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights or Park Slope. I mean, it's close to the very end of Park Slope, but not close enough.

The purpose of that arena was to put a basketball team in a neignborhood where it would generate interest. They could have built it in Coney Island and had the same effect. If you're going for hipsters, you don't build an arena in a neighborhood hipsters wouldn't be caught dead in after dark. The only people who are going to go to Islanders games are the Islanders fans from Long Island, because the LIRR stops right under the arena. Hipsters are not going to hockey games in East Flatbush.

Of course Kabanov was looking for houses in Brighton Beach, the only people who live in Brighton Beach are Russians and Ukranians. I go to school literally 5 minutes from Brighton and drive through it to get to class when the Belt is backed up. But the fact is there's nothing trendy or hip about the neighborhood the Barclays was built in. It was built in a black neighborhood to bring a black sport to black people and generate revenue for a franchise that would have otherwise folded. The place is packed on a nightly basis when the Nets are home, but you can't sell out a rock concert in that neighborhood for the same reason hipsters won't go to hockey games there - It's not the safest of places for white 20-somethings to congregate.

Dropkick, the joke is that everyone in Brooklyn are hipsters. Obviously that's not true it's just a joke (and one I still think is funny).

Secondly you said "flatbush" ... /beavis laugh beavisnbutthead.gif

I don't think the Isle should change their logo, but I think it's inevitable ... too much money to be made not to. I just hope they do something better than their last couple of attempts at 3rd jerseys.

Some concept shots from icehetics

0430-nyi-bw.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSI

This color scheme reminds me of the Chicago Blackhawks jerseys during their inaugural season. Too lame and bland for my liking. The Isles are what they are, orange and blue, which is what they should always be. IMO there is no reason for them to change their colors or uniforms.