Jersey Q's from a novice

MPF24

Hello guys. These forums are a great resource for a jersey collector and I've been a long time lurker, often immediately referring to this site for my jersey curiosities. I'm not a big time collector, mostly just because of budget, but I pride myself on never purchasing knock off jerseys and only collecting authentics and never premiers. I have some issues now though that I'm too confused on to clear up without asking for specific answers from a more knowledgable party.

I would like to purchase a new authentic NYR jersey in the next week or so. I haven't purchased a jersey in a couple of years so the last time I picked one up it was a Canadian made Reebok EDGE with the vector logo on the back. Now, I don't understand the distinctions between EDGE 1.0 and 2.0 and where the "Indo-EDGE" falls into that group, but I've heard countless individuals complain about the Indo-EDGE jerseys, which makes me hesitant to pick one up. At the same time, I also am under the impression that, currently, the Indo-EDGE jerseys are the only authentics available for retail, except for back-stock of the Canadian vector logo jerseys. How big of a difference is the Indo-EDGE from the Canadian EDGE that I already have? Will I be miserable if I purchase an Indo-EDGE? I have the opportunity right now to pick one up, new, for $130 which is a great price for an authentic, but I don't want to purchase it and feel like all I got was a glorified premiere.

Now, I've also been hearing that they are ceasing/have ceased production of the Indo jerseys and that when the stock of Indo-EDGE jerseys run out, they will begin selling Canadian authentics again. I'm not really inclined to wait for that time to make my purchase, and also don't want to miss out on the $130 deal unless I'm told that I REALLY shouldn't purchase an Indo-EDGE.

I guess, essentially, I'm looking for some advice. Do you guys buy Indo-EDGE ever or have you completely boycotted them? Is the Indo-EDGE still double reenforced and heavier duty than a premiere, just with different materials in some places (the best way I can think to describe it is that my Canadian authentic is shiny and stretchy in some areas while I'm lead to believe the Indo-EDGE are one material all around)? Is there a problem with the crests on the Indo-EDGE jerseys (I seem to remember hearing that several times), and will it be a problem for me since I'm buying a Rangers jersey which doesn't have a "crest", per se? At the end of the day, I'm not a total jersey snob/connoisseur, so the jersey doesn't have to be the absolute best possible, but I want a high quality, authentic jersey that I can wear with pride and will not look or feel cheap. Will I get that if I pick up the Indo-EDGE for $130 or should I just avoid them at all costs and wait for the Canadians to come around? Is the Indo-EDGE truly a cheap product or do people only complain when comparing it to the Canadian jerseys and it is, in fact, significantly better quality than a premiere and a perfectly fine jersey for me to wear to games and feel content with?

EDIT: At the end of the day, I suppose what I'm most curious to know is whether the Indo-EDGE is actually a BAD jersey or if the reason people are so against them is that they resent the false advertising on Reebok's part for selling a jersey that is not the actual on ice quality and calling it authentic.

I'm satisfied with mine. It's heavier duty than a premier, easily. They just aren't made as well as a 2.0, the jersey they're trying to replicate. They're technically authentic jerseys that are almost different in many ways, but honestly, I doubt you would know why or ever notice. They have a history with inconsistency, though. Some seem better than others. That fact alone would turn off any collector.

But seriously, if I had $130 to spend, I would not buy a blank Indonesian-made Edge jersey. The Rangers are a bit tougher to get deals, but like islesfan25 right there has a better deal for you. 2.0 Vector is the absolute way to to to compared to an Indo. I feel like I saw someone post a nice 1.0 Rangers for sale today for a good deal, too.

I'd say that in the end you'll be happier getting an Edge 1.0 or 2.0 instead of settling on an Indo-edge. If you're patient I think you'll be able to find a legit Edge 1.0 at least in the $130 range.

Heck before Christmas I sold a spare blue Rangers Edge 1.0 size 56 on eBay and it only got one bid and sold for $99.

The Indo-EDGES are better than the replicas but don't compare to the 1.0 or 2.0 IMO. You could get away with one meaning if you wore one you could hold your head up high and say "this is not a Premier and it is what currently passes for an authentic".

I might be inclined to wait to find a 1.0 or 2.0 in your price range unless you really want one soon. Keep your eyes on eBay too.

I have another question. Do the Indo-EDGES fit larger than the Canadian ones? My 46 is a bit snug on me but I tried on an Indo size 50 today and it was a terrible fit. It kind of looked like a dress, not as much because it was a lot bigger but because the cut felt terrible and it just looked like a really bad fit. I'm a short guy and I'm heavy but slim because I work out a lot (and a lot of the weight is in my legs from hockey - 5'9 200lb) and I feel like 46 is too small at this point, but if the Canadian 50 is going to be as poor a fit as the Indo, I'm torn on what to do. And does anyone have a size 46/50 Canadian Rangers (home/blue) EDGE for a reasonable price? Or any tips on where to find one? I'm desperately searching ebay, but to no avail. May end up buying from IJ, but I'm trying to avoid spending $375.

No they fit the same. I just tried a 50 Indo-Edge and a 50 Edge 1.0, and they feel the same to me.

There is a big size difference between a 46 and a 50. That's why it is really big to you. At 6'1" 190 lbs I wear 50/52 for Edge. 54 with equipment. A 54 without equipment is way too big for me, and a 56 is a dress.

As for finding the jersey you want on a budget, just be patient, creative with your searches, and (thoroughly) check eBay, check Craiglist, check Kijiji. If you have a question on the legitimacy of an item, post a question in the "It is good or not" thread.

Thanks for the tip. I've looked on Kjiji for sticks at a discount before but it didn't occur to me for jerseys.

I would have thought you'd fill out an Edge 2.0 50 really well. I'm 5'9" but quite thin at 150, and an Edge 1.0 50 fits great on me, while an Edge 2.0 50 is OK, but definitely looser in the chest and arms. But with you being 50 lbs. heavier than me, I would have thought the 2.0 50 would actually fit you better than it does me. Or maybe you just like your jerseys tighter fitting than most. In general, the 2.0's are roomier in the chest and arms than the same size 1.0.

I was surprised as well. It felt like a much bigger differences than the listed measurements for the sizes. Maybe I'll go out and try one on again.

I would have thought you'd fill out an Edge 2.0 50 really well. I'm 5'9" but quite thin at 150, and an Edge 1.0 50 fits great on me, while an Edge 2.0 50 is OK, but definitely looser in the chest and arms. But with you being 50 lbs. heavier than me, I would have thought the 2.0 50 would actually fit you better than it does me. Or maybe you just like your jerseys tighter fitting than most. In general, the 2.0's are roomier in the chest and arms than the same size 1.0.

Is this true, that the 2.0 is looser in the chest and arms than the 1.0? My 46 is a 1.0 so maybe a 46 2.0 would fit well.

Absolutely. A 46 1.0 is too tight for me to wear, but I have a 46 2.0 that is definitely more roomy in the chest and fits fine. The arms on the 2.0 are also more loose (baggy). The nice thing about 2.0's is that the sleeves are a little shorter than the same size 1.0's. A 1.0 that fits me well always has sleeves that are a bit too long.

A lot depends on what kind of fit each individual wants in a jersey. I prefer the bigger shirts ... a jersey made for pads but worn without look. Some prefer a jersey that fits without pads. To each their own.

That said, it is a lot easier to find size 56 and 58 jerseys than 46 and 50.

This thread is the perfect example why asking people's preferences on size are almost meaningless.

I'm 3 inches taller and 65 pounds heavier than Pattyy130 and I prefer a 52 (3 sizes smaller)

I'm not asking people's size preference though; I wanted to know if there's truth in there being a difference between a 2.0 and a 1.0. I know I prefer my jerseys a little closer to the fit of a regular sweater on me, but my 46 1.0 has gotten just a little bit snug. I tried on a new 50 and it was much larger than I like. I wanted to know if it's true that a new 46 might be a but roomier than the one I have now.

Yes- my 1.0 46 is a bit more fitted than my WC 2.0. But it's hard to be 100% sure of the fit unless you try it on. Your best bet is to wait and see if 2.0's become readily avaiable. I'm hoping to be at the Rangers' home opener and then I'll get to see sat kind of stock is out there.

You gotta remember that you won't be able to find a Rangers Edge Vector 2.0 in a size 46, or 50 even. The Edge Vector 2.0s were meant to be worn by the teams and I think the smallest that Reebok made were 52s. However, Reebok did make Edge Vector 2.0s for special events such as ASG and WC. Otherwise, if you are looking for a size 46 or 50, you need to stick to the Edge 1.0 and the Indo-Edge, or wait until Reebok makes the new retail Edge Wordmark 2.0s available.

It seems like the new wordmark Canadian edge's are available for the Rangers at IJ.

So after all the feedback here and some outside research, I ultimately decided to go ahead and order a canadian authentic from ice jerseys this afternoon. Getting it done as Girardi, because I rarely see people wearing G in the stands and I like picking players that aren't common. Just want to thank everyone for their input and information and can't wait for the next 7+ weeks to pass so I can see the final product.

So after all the feedback here and some outside research, I ultimately decided to go ahead and order a canadian authentic from ice jerseys this afternoon. Getting it done as Girardi, because I rarely see people wearing G in the stands and I like picking players that aren't common. Just want to thank everyone for their input and information and can't wait for the next 7+ weeks to pass so I can see the final product.

Awesome. I have four new blank Rangers jerseys, and Girardi is def. going on one of them soon. Excellent choice! :)

Girardi: Good choice!

Agreed. I did my white one up as Girardi last season.