Authentic vs Replica

Finny

Authentic vs Replica?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which jersey do you prefer to purchase?

• Authentic
    • Replica
    • Those mini's you get at MacDonalds

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious what people prefer to buy, as in money isn't an issue if you buy authentic. I for one am now buying authentic, it's just so much better in quality and durability.

I would like to buy Authentics but due to cost pretty much only buy Replicas. The quality and durability hasn't been a problem for me as of yet.

Understandable, I am in the budget to basically buy one authentic with my name and number once a year. This year I'm getting my Red Flames done and then maybe I might splurge in the spring if Buffalo is looking like a cup contender.

I prefer Authentic flat out. I own a bunch of replicas, but when I pay for the customization and the price starts to approach $200 anyways, I'd just assume go with the authentic and enjoy owning the genuine article.

If money wasn't an issue, why buy a replica jersey? The authentics are so much nicer, ALL the crests are sewn on and everything is the proper size. I can do without the fighting straps, I don't need to look any bigger than I am (I don't play) :lol: .

Money is an issue, though, so I own a closet full of replicas. CCM came a long way on the replicas when they came out with the 'semi-pro' model. I do not miss their pre-90s replicas with the lightweight snag-prone polyester and undersized crests.

I do not miss their pre-90s replicas with the lightweight snag-prone polyester and undersized crests.

I completely agree. I own a few of the older Starter jerseys of a few teams. Seems like quality was not a major concern for them at times as I owned a Buffalo Sabres jersey with a Western Conference patch on it. The newer replicas are 200% better than what they used to be.

I definitly agree as well. I too have some old starter jerseys and the quality is laughable. Even some of the older CCM's that I have are less than impressive. I haven't purchased a jersey in a few years, but I have checked them out in the Ranger's store at MSG and in other shops that carry hockey apparel near me and and the drastic improvements in the quality of the replicas has been tempting enough on it's own for me to almost pick up a few. Thank god my will power is strong or I'd have a very angry wife and a lot less money in the bank.

If money wasn't an issue, I'd definitely go authentic all the way. But since money is an issue, I go with replicas ;)

I don't play, so durability isn't as big an issue. My wife doesn't let me do the laundry and she's really conscientious about how different materials get washed, so my jerseys come out of the laundry in great shape.

Considering the cost issue, I've patrolled eBay quite often for jerseys in nearly-new conditions for dirt cheap prices and occassionally, I've had great luck (scored a new-with-tags CCM Minnesota Wild for $25). I usually by blank jerseys until/unless there's a player I really, Really, REALLY need to glorify. :)

I completely agree. I own a few of the older Starter jerseys of a few teams. Seems like quality was not a major concern for them at times as I owned a Buffalo Sabres jersey with a Western Conference patch on it. The newer replicas are 200% better than what they used to be.

That's funny, I saw a Kings jersey with an Eastern Conference patch on back. Most Stars Starter jerseys I saw had up-side down state of Texas shoulder crests. The Coyotes jerseys had shoulder yokes that came down so far that there was no room to put a sleeve number. The good thing about their jerseys was the applique crests, they would never fall off, as they were sewn INTO the jersey, but they weren't very durable.

• 2 years later...

Only authentic!

same as just about everyone, I'd only buy authentic if I could afford it, but right now I can't do it

• 2 weeks later...

I'm buying Premier Reps and getting everything stitched on by IJ. Plus I take the size tags off the bottom hem so they look better. I have to say that I don't intend to wear my jerseys a lot, so durability is not really an issue for me.

• 3 months later...

Replica. Cost is an issue. Wear everything i collect out on the ice.

CCM, Classic Jersey, Bauer, Maska, etc. are good enough quality for me. When i want to customize, i just do it myself - isn't exact but looks good enough for me most of the time. Sometimes get blanks and reproduce some of the simpler crests, or find some crests on ebay, trade with a friend, or get off a jersey from a thrift store.

What I've seen of the Reebok replicas in stores does not impress me. I've seen some better looking jerseys out on many of the local beer league teams. If I'm going to pay that kind of money all the patches should be embroidered and if there are numbers they should be tackle twill. The Reeboks may be okay if you can get a good deal and if you are just wearing them around like a shirt or sweater.

I perfer Authentics but replica's are nice of the Hard to find jersey's

I really want Authentics but because money is a big issue with this and i also have a girlfriend to keep happy :P I buy replica's most of the time .

I think the new RBK replica's are less quality then the great ccm semi pro's they where fantastic.

I live in the netherlands so import a new authentic is pretty mucht a risk cause of custom charges.

But i will send a bunch of jerseys in once to IJ to customize it for me so i dont have to pay for shipping double etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a replica Edge jersey, luckily bought when companies stilled sewed rather than heat pressed numbers and names on. I don't know how well this will fly, but if I end up getting a new jersey this season, Joffrey got traded :(, then I will definitely go with one of the fakes due to cost. I know they aren't real or authentic even though the ebay ads say it; but I sure as hell don't want faux sticthing and you can't beat 45ish dollars.

I do know the risks and only purchase from sellers who don't use stock photos, I got a pretty sweet California Golden Seals jersey from a taiwanese guy for 25 bucks shipped.

I hope this isn't like a taboo on this board and I get shelled for it, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I prefer the replicas with the sewn on, authentic type lettering such as those you can get at IceJerseys but if money continues to be an issue for awhile, I will be settling for the minis and posting pics of those in "It Arrived Today" for a change of pace. :P:lol:

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ever tried to remove the front jock (size) tag on the front right hem of the new EDGE premier jerseys? I was thinking about buying an EDGE replica, but I feel the size tag looks VERY hideous on the front. Thanks.