Authentic vs Replica

Finny

Authentic vs Replica?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which jersey do you prefer to purchase?

• Authentic
    • Replica
    • Those mini's you get at MacDonalds

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What others say - do what makes you happy!

I have decided to cut down my collection and only keep my core favorites. Some are authentics, some are replica. Doesn't matter to me at all!!!!

• 1 month later...

Do you guys feel the material of the NHL EDGE premier jerseys is poor quality compared to the old CCM and KOHO replica jerseys?

Do you guys feel the material of the NHL EDGE premier jerseys is poor quality compared to the old CCM and KOHO replica jerseys?

Definitely. The CCM 550 replicas were decent replica jerseys - but the new RBK Edge Premier jerseys are flimsy crap. The absolute worst part of the Edge Premier's in my opinion are the screened twill shoulder patches which apparently have a tendency to fade.

I own an AHL Penguins premier replica and it is so thin! I definitely expected the material to hold up better. One day I had a loose string on the sleeve of the jersey and I went to cut it off. Now the threading on that sleeve keeps coming loose. None of my other AHL Pens jerseys do this so I don't know if I got a defect or what. But it doesn't make me happy!

Definitely. The CCM 550 replicas were decent replica jerseys - but the new RBK Edge Premier jerseys are flimsy crap. The absolute worst part of the Edge Premier's in my opinion are the screened twill shoulder patches which apparently have a tendency to fade.

Eww that is pretty gross. And you would think reebok would improve the quality of their replicas... I'm not surprised. I was considering buying a premier replica or two... but since the quality isn't very good I am not sure if it would be worth it to step up to an EDGE authentic. I have an RBK EDGE authentic, but they are SO EXPENSIVE, especially with customization. <_<

For teams that didn't change their style much when they switched to the Edge style, I say pickup a CCM 550 replica (sometimes called the CCM Classic replica - not to be confused with Vintage).

I still recommend them to all of my friends/family that want a jersey but aren't willing to dish out money for an authentic (pre or post Edge) ...

I own an AHL Penguins premier replica and it is so thin! I definitely expected the material to hold up better. One day I had a loose string on the sleeve of the jersey and I went to cut it off. Now the threading on that sleeve keeps coming loose. None of my other AHL Pens jerseys do this so I don't know if I got a defect or what. But it doesn't make me happy!

The AHL jerseys are made from a different material than the NHL Premiers. I posted the differences between the AHL and NHL Premiers about two years ago, as there are a few.

NHL-made in Indonesia, have sewn-on painted shoulder patches, have jock tag, mid-weight nylon material, RBK vector below neck and bottom left sleeve.

AHL-made in Canada, have glued on screened shoulder patches, no jock tag, thin-grade nylon material, RBK vector below neck and bottom rear tail.

I might have missed a few things, but those are/were the highlights. Now that the Canadian Hockey League is using these, I wonder if they will be similar to the NHL make or AHL make?

Rab,

What's the difference between the NHL and AHL patches aside from how they are attached (glued vs sewn)? Do the AHL patches hold up better than the NHL ones? I've seen some of the fading on the NHL ones - just wondering if they are as bad on the AHL jerseys.

Rab,

What's the difference between the NHL and AHL patches aside from how they are attached (glued vs sewn)? Do the AHL patches hold up better than the NHL ones? I've seen some of the fading on the NHL ones - just wondering if they are as bad on the AHL jerseys.

aketon, the biggest difference is that it is a different material. The NHL patches are painted on to a plastic material which is sewn to the jersey. I'm guessing that they may be fading when being washed/cleaned. To be honest, the 4 NHL Premiers that I own have never really been worn at all, so I've never had to wash them. It could also be a chemical reaction. On the AHL jerseys, the patches are a different material, a cloth that is glued, not stitched. Looking at one a little more closely, there seems to be a screened type of application of the design to the patch. I have a Monsters' jersey that I've used a lot, and I have washed it dozens of times over the last two years, and the shoulder patches still look like new. The biggest problem, besides the flimsy stitching and material, is that the main logo on the chest has shown a lot of fraying around the edges. On a white jersey, this is very noticable. Without the jock tag, and with the vector and AHL logo on the rear tail, from a distance, it's fairly passable. But the material of the jersey is much thinner than what the NHL jerseys have, for the same money.

unfortunately, being a poor college student, i don't have the opportunity to splurge on many authentic jerseys, so i go with replicas based on price. i have a nice collection of 12 jerseys, though it is put to shame by some of the other members here and it does include one knockoff and only 2 authentics.

I would love to buy more authentics but just due to the price, they are way to expensive for my blood. I have held off from purchasing edge jerseys just because the authentics are too high and the replicas are pathetic in quality. I absolutely despise the shoulder patches on the Replica Edges. I dont mind the pre-edge jerseys in Replicas even though i own a few authentics.

I would love to buy more authentics but just due to the price, they are way to expensive for my blood. I have held off from purchasing edge jerseys just because the authentics are too high and the replicas are pathetic in quality. I absolutely despise the shoulder patches on the Replica Edges. I dont mind the pre-edge jerseys in Replicas even though i own a few authentics.

It's the screen printed on twill on the shoulder patches that gets you, right? hehe

EDGE authentics are nice as I own one, but I don't feel they are worth $300+ for one customized. <_<

I don't own any replica jerseys and I am not sure whether or not to venture down that path...

It's the screen printed on twill on the shoulder patches that gets you, right? hehe

EDGE authentics are nice as I own one, but I don't feel they are worth $300+ for one customized. <_<

I don't own any replica jerseys and I am not sure whether or not to venture down that path...

Exactly, the Replicas look horrible even from a distance i notice the plastic shine from the shoulder patches. Cheap, Cheap, Cheap. I dont like spending more money for an inferior product that cost probably 50 bucks to make. Im looking to get my first edge authentic but hopefully not at 300 bucks though.

I suppose that there's no real need to pile on about RBK Premier replicas, but the drop in quality from a CCM/Koho 550 to a Premier is just about unbelievable. One of the only ones I've even considered buying is the new Wild third. No shoulder patches so no screening.

If Money was of no object, Authentic by far.

You are not the only one. I have a Hershey Bears away replica jersey (how many Calder Cups do the Baby Pens have again?!? B) ), and I have some of the same problems with some of the stiching on the bottom of the jersey. My girlfriend though has a home and away replica that she had no problems with whatsoever, so I guess its whatever you get, I dunno :wacko:

I guess the premiers are only good if you don't intend on wearing them a whole lot or just wearing them while watching the game. The material is definitely not made for playing in because they probably will get damaged easily.

As far as the A v. R question, I've always bought replica's for budget concerns. That and the fact that i wear all my jerseys and would hate to drop lunch on a show piece.

If I could afford to drop the kind of money that the non-fake, well-done authentics cost, I would. As such, replicas it is for now, especially since if I'm gonna spend the money even they cost, I'd like to be able to wear them and tix to Caps games are now a bit more than they used to be...

So when it comes to authentic versus replica, I sort of see it as a quality versus quality argument. Replicas are obviously cheaper, but they are of less quality than the authentics - both in material and the style of the jersey (reebok vector on sleeve, jock tag on front, reebok vector on back of neck is not raised, etc.). On the other hand, the authentics cost a lot more, but are of better quality than the replicas.

Since the authenics are supposed to be what the players wear on the ice, they are obviously going to cost a fortune. NHL fans see this and are going to back off because they don't want to spend a ton of money for a jersey.

An age old debate, in my opinion.

If you take care of your stuff and don't buy a bad asian piece of crap, you CAN get a nice replica. Theres some that are better than others during time certainly. I like bein a billboard for my fav team and or player, so having GW GI or most authentics isn't a major concern. Every buyer is different. It's not really somethin that can b debated cuz it's preference.