Bauer to bid for NHL Jersey License in 2016

NYIJM29

im sure this means they would contract out to SP in quebec.. atleast I hope so..

Yep, that most likely would happen. They've made some good stuff (and a few clunkers, too).

Not owned by Nike since 2008 I believe.

Correct!

I love Bauer hockey equipment, but I don't know about jerseys. I actually really like the 2.0s, but if Reebok is going to continue jerking us around, might as well switch companies.

I think the article said Bauer bought some small shop in Ontario to work on jerseys

This is the best thing that can happen for us collectors, since Reebok is forcing that Indonesian garbage on us. But yes, I'm not sure how Bauer would do with jerseys. I had some really nice Bauer inline skates as a kid.

I hope ANYBODY besides Reebok gets the contract. I think I'd prefer Nike, but I'll take Bauer/SP or whatever.

I dunno...If Nike fux with the NHL the way they did on those horrid new NFL jerseys (flywire collar, gut panels, the Seahawks' horrid new look) we might find ourselves wishing Reebok had stayed around. I've REALLY grown to like the team-issued 2.0s, I think they're really solid.

Still, it'd be nice to have the retail authentics made in Canada.

I doubt Bauer or anybody else can do wore then RBK they have made jersey construction into a joke, they basically have tried to convince everyone that the edge material would revolutionize hockey.....Well it hasn't and to be quite honest with you i hate it!! i hate the edge socks more then the jerseys. I bought a pair for hockey this year and wore them twice and they suck. Form fitting jerseys and socks suck...just my take

I agree, the edge socks are a joke, I tried them once and hated them so much I gavem away for free. Also not a fan of the reebok jerseys in general. I love the old material..

the seahawks look in the NFL is great, I wish nike went a little more crazy with other teams instead of being so conservative. Football jerseys are boring enough as it is..

If Nike were to bid, would they do the Swift style? Then I think you guys would wish for Reebok again!

I think it would be great if they went back to each team signing with companies individually. That would get Bettman's short and curlies in a knot. The more variety the better. I wish Bettman would just go away, he's done more damage to hockey than any other individual ever.

I agree, the edge socks are a joke, I tried them once and hated them so much I gavem away for free. Also not a fan of the reebok jerseys in general. I love the old material..

the seahawks look in the NFL is great, I wish nike went a little more crazy with other teams instead of being so conservative. Football jerseys are boring enough as it is..

100% agree the seahawks uni's are cool , the thing i like most is the blue carbon on the helmet!! very nice

Unfortunately we're in an era where leagues rather than teams decide who manufactures jerseys. I'm not a fan of the cookie cutter, one style/material fits all teams and players mentality. The Edge 1.0 lasted half a season before they had to change things up and start making 2.0s for the pros. The Nike Swift has its share of negatives.

I like the late 90s Bauer jerseys and would love to see them back in the NHL. I'm just not sure if they can offer the cash of Reebok/Adidas or Nike to get back on the ice.

But on the flip side of that coin, he has made the NHL worth more!

True, but bigger doesn't always mean better.

Bauer has 3 (very successful) product lines for equipment -- Nexus (2012), TotalONE (Used to be Supreme, 2007ish?), and Vapor (2005ish?). Bauer has 3 product lines to better meet the individual need of the players. It would be interesting to see if Bauer will offer teams choose their jersey material (Ultrafil, Airknit, or a different material as part of a deal). Hell, even let players choose their jersey material.

As a slimmer guy, i like the construction of the Edge jerseys. I think the 2.0s did alot to correct my nitpicks about the jerseys, specifically how delicate the edge fabric was.

I have an old Bauer Carolina Monarchs authentic and it seems well put together.

Bauer is an actual hockey company, so I'd expect some real hockey jerseys from them - tough polyester knit with whatever type of weave they use. But I'd like to echo the sentiment from above, Bauer is a smaller comapny. Will they actually have the cash to shell out in the bidding process to overtake Reebok/Adidas?

Didn't the NFL say they've had enough of Reebok, which is why Nike was awarded the contract? I don't know that played out, but quality and retail sales may very well outweigh how much money a company is willing to pony up for the actual rights to produce jerseys. The NHL is all about their bottom line, and if Reebok jerseys aren't selling at retail you can bet your Arse they won't be around past the expiration of the current deal.