How did you decide what jerseys to collect?

lfcjari37

I've only been doing this for about a year and it all started with wanting to get a Sabres jersey since I supported them. I got a Premier with Vanek on it. After that I decided I wanted to get an on-ice jersey, so I got my Rangers Jagr. Then came a period of buying stuff I liked, hence I have Flames, Sabres, Devils jerseys etc. Then I thought it would be cool to have a gamer and so now have 2 penguins gamers. I still havent decided which way my collection will go yet, still I buy what I think are good looking jerseys or jerseys with favourite players on them. How about you guys?

I only buy jerseys I can actually wear to games, so for hockey it's Rangers and IIHF jerseys that are Rangers-related.

I only buy jerseys I can actually wear to games, so for hockey it's Rangers and IIHF jerseys that are Rangers-related.

Eric Cairns Isles jersey?

Pierre Alexandre Parenteau Isles jersey?

Al Montoya Isles jeresy?

John Tavares Isles jersey? (He owns Hank)

It all started with Lindros. I thought, he was a great "dirty" player so had to get a jersey somehow. Then I saw a few other "skilled" players such as Lemieux, Messier, Bourque etc. That's how I started to collect jerseys from other teams. Most of my jerseys are #66, #77, #88, #99 and also a few random players that wore #19 in combination with the "C".

Eric Cairns Isles jersey?

Pierre Alexandre Parenteau Isles jersey?

Al Montoya Isles jeresy?

John Tavares Isles jersey? (He owns Hank)

LOL, nothx. You couldn't pay me enough to wear that crap. Actually, scratch that. If you write my final paper for me I'll wear whatever Isles jersey you want :D

For me, I started collecting when Mitchell and Ness came out with the 70s replica Flyers jerseys. I always wanted a Bobby Clarke jersey from the mid 70s. Upon discovering jerseys being sold on ebay and the IceJersey's forum, I began putting together a 'history of the Flyers' with jerseys. With the info I gained from reading the forums, I was able to discover customizers that had the fonts I was looking for when I purchased blank jerseys on ebay. That is how I got started.

I don't so much consider it collecting. I only wear Penguins jerseys, and I'm not overly protective of them (except for one). They were bought specifically to be worn. I tossed around the idea of maybe Penguins related Olympic/minor league jerseys but in an effort to keep costs down and not get too crazy with it, it's NHL level only.

i met Mats Naslund when i was 12 i asked him if i could have his jersey, he told me he would be needing it so he gave me his stick......i wasn't happy with just the stick so my quest began haven't looked back since

Much like JustAnothaVictim.....my quest began with Eric Lindros.....trying to collect every jersey that he wore throughout his career.....I remember as a kid watching Generals games on local TV and saw him freight-train through everyone on the ice....and I wanted to play just like that (though I did not have his size/skill and the fact that I always play goal)

He has been my fave player ever since, and Patrick Roy my favourite goalie.....watched him as a kid as well....so I try to do the same with Roy jerseys......which is much easier since Roy was less traveled than Lindros and only played once internationally.

It has expanded to include rookie jerseys of current/former greats and first stanley cup jerseys as well as notable records (like 1851 pts, 104 shutouts, etc) and a considerable goalie jersey collection.....since I play goal myself since the days of foot hockey in the schoolyard....

This is the first jersey I bought back between '80 and '83 while I was in high school. It doesn't fit anymore but I doubt I'll ever sell it.

2822884040107003020S600x600Q85.jpg

I eventually want to get jerseys from every team. If the jersey already has a name and number I try to get Russian players. I studied Russian at university and have met and talked to all the Russians that have played for the Red Wings. They seem to enjoy meeting American fans who can speak their language.

For a few years I collected Russian game jerseys because they are so much cheaper than NHL gamers. I've pretty much sold everything except National team and Lokomotiv jerseys. I've been a member of the Lokomotiv forum since the early '90's.

I went to my first hockey game at Yost Ice Arena, University of Michigan, around '73. It was a game between UofM and Michigan State. I started playing hockey around the same time when I was in elementary school. The first team I played for wore Bruins jerseys, I wish I still had that. My favorite teams back then were the Flyers and the Bruins, the "Dead Wings" really sucked at that time. Orr, Clarke, Barber, Leach, Espisito, O'Rielly. What great teams they had back then. Like every other kid I collected hockey and baseball cards back then also. Still have most of them.

I really got seriously into jersey collecting during the early '90's when the Wings started having good teams. I hung out with a bunch of people who had lots of Wings jerseys and we would watch the playoff games at the bars and if the player who's jersey you were wearing scored a goal you had to buy a round of drinks for everyone. Originally I was buying replicas, didn't know anything about authentic jerseys. My first authentic jersey was a CCM Ultrafil Maple Leafs Doug Gilmour jersey, I've almost always lived somewhere that I could watch HNIC so I LOVE the Leafs. After that I never bought another replica unless the jersey I wanted wasn't available as an authentic anymore. I didn't get married until I was in my mid 40's and I lived in a cheap dump and had a good paying job, so I had lots of money to spend on jerseys and guitars. At one point I had over 500 jerseys, only have between 200 and 300 now. Now that Reebok has screwed us over on the authentics I think I'll go back to buying gamers which means I wont be buying as many. I'll still try to buy Russian players when I can. Currently I'm focusing mostly on authentic and team used practice jerseys as these tend to not cost as much. I'm currently only working part time so I don't have as much money to spend on jerseys any more, not to mention I'm married with a 3 year old daughter. I really love this hobby and the game of hockey and hopefully always will.

I was 6 when the US won gold at the 1980 Winter Olympics. I remember being hooked on hockey since then. Being from Southwestern Ohio, there was never hockey on TV unless it was the Olympics. Although the US didn't do well, I became a fan of Mike Richter during the 1988 Calgary games. When he became a Ranger, I became a Rangers fan. As such my current rule for jersey collecting is it has to be a jersey of a Ranger player or prospect from either before, during, or after their time with the Rangers.

Not so much a “collector”, I began following hockey and the Rangers in the early 1960s. I would go to the (old) MSG and make the obligatory stop at Cosbys to browse. My first jersey was an uncrested Blackhawks white. Over the years, continuing to follow the Rangers, I still only bought uncrested jerseys to use playing hockey: Flyers, Bruins, Islanders, though I had no affiliation or ties to those teams. It wasn’t until the late 1980s that I got a couple of replica jerseys: Rangers white and New Haven Nighthawks blue.

After so many years, this year I decided to finally get a Rangers blue, and found a Reebok Premier replica on eBay. It arrived, and though it was all right I continued to look. Eventualy bought what appeared to be a legitimate Edge from eBay, though that turned out to be a very well done fake.

Undaunted, I went to MeiGray and got a real, genuine Rangers blue jersey with LOA. So completely happy with the jersey and their outstanding customer service, I ordered a white jersey to complete the set. I have kept the others to loan out to friends when we go to watch the current Rangers games at the sports bar here in El Salvador.

If this “collection” goes forward I can only envision more Rangers and Rangers-related (Wolfpack/Whale) jerseys being added.

If the jersey already has a name and number I try to get Russian players. I studied Russian at university and have met and talked to all the Russians that have played for the Red Wings. They seem to enjoy meeting American fans who can speak their language.

I think it's really cool that you can appreciate another culture and have taken the time to learn their language. That was you who told that story about Kozlov and the autographed stick, right? I was laughing my arse off when I read that!

I think it's really cool that you can appreciate another culture and have taken the time to learn their language. That was you who told that story about Kozlov and the autographed stick, right? I was laughing my arse off when I read that!

Yes, that was me. I laugh every time I think about it.

I studied Russian at university and have met and talked to all the Russians that have played for the Red Wings. They seem to enjoy meeting American fans who can speak their language.

That's awesome. I actually taught myself Swedish for kicks and picked up a bit of Finnish, Latvian and Russian on the way. I havent had an experience with a Swedish hockey player but it sure did work for my girlfriend. It can blow foreigners minds when youre American and speak another language.

I learned Portuguese and Spanish, and sometimes it kinda freaks people out to see an Asian-American speaking those languages.

I learned Portuguese and Spanish, and sometimes it kinda freaks people out to see an Asian-American speaking those languages.

I actually have quite a few Philippino friends that speak Spanish.

I was introduced to the game via the American Hockey League back in the Original Six era when there were very few NHL games on television. And, while many NHL Hall of Famers were playing out their careers in the AHL, I followed teams more than players at the start. So when I got into the collecting replicas, I went after my home team, Pittsburgh Hornets, to start. The Quebec Aces and Cleveland Barons jerseys followed, then a Red Wings sweater (the Hornets' parent club) and it just mushroomed into about three dozen jerseys. Like booze, gambling and women, it can be addictive. But, a lot of fun.