Crosby jersey for framing - decoration/position advice request

Minx

Hi folks.

I am going to frame a Sidney Crosby jersey customized by House O Hockey.

Which of the following positions should I frame it with?

A note for the patch decorations, the Pittsburgh 250th anniversary patches are fake - I will get an authentic one for the framed jersey. Also its going to be 1 x Consol Energy Patch and 1 x Pittsburgh 250th Anniversary, not 2 x Pittsburgh 250th Anniversary as in the picture. But I did not have any loose Consol Energy patch at the moment.

1. - Arms folded

2editd.jpg

Full size: 20253225.th.jpg

With this one both arms should be like the left arm is set up. But because of the Consol Energy patch on the jersey in the picture I could not set the right arm in the same position as the left.

2 - arms on the side.

editdw.jpg

Full size: 50078829.th.jpg

I could not set up the right arm properly because of the consol energy patch in this picture too.

3edit.jpg

Full size:

3edit.th.jpg

Ideally I would like to have the jersey set up like this Jagr one I already framed - but the reebok sleeves is so different so its impossible to put it like this without the arms covering parts of the backnumbers & nameplate.

61196171.jpg[/url]

Full size:4edit.th.jpg

Which of the 2 setups do you prefer? I am really torn between them, so I figured I would ask for your expertise before deciding! I am leaning towards setup 2 although

that will require a bigger frame.

Obviously you are welcome to comment on the patches decoration as well, if I could better it somehow :)

Thanks

L

Are the patches stitched to the jerseys?? Please say no.. :)

I like the 2nd one minus the patches.

Are the patches stitched to the jerseys?? Please say no.. :)

I like the 2nd one minus the patches.

Hi.

The patches are not sewn, just laying there for the photo. I plan on getting a new jersey for the framing because the consol energy patch on the arm

ruins the placing of the jersey. I will keep the one in the picture as a collectible or start wearing it.

I appreciate the honesty about the patches, some people think they ruin the jersey and some really like the idea.

What I like about is that I get a chance to display the patches, and to me its no loss to lose some white hem of the jersey.

I think I am in the 'no patches on the jersey' camp. I think it's cool to find a way to display them within the case, but not sewn on the tail of the jersey. As for positioning, I'd say try to start the arms in a more outward, then fold just the bottom half of the sleeves in towards the body, hopefully you get what I mean.

What do you mean by sewing a jersey in the frame? Do you mean attaching the jersey to the frame by sewing?

Yes, the Jagr jersey you put up is sewn to the backing of the frame - which will happen to the Crosby when you have it done up. To most that's not an issue but it you ever want to remove it the stitching is there forever! The added cost of the clear displays works for me plus I like to rotate the collection (insert picture of wife shaking her head).

I bought a frame from those guys and I met up with the owner Glen and paid cash gave me a small discount, I specifically asked him if the jersey frames cases were made in Canada and he said "YES". after some investigating I found out he orders them from China for a third at what he sells them. I was not amused to say the least and emailed him he never replied.

Do Not Buy from those guys! 430 bucks for a case?? Frigging crooks I am mad at myself for paying 280....pretty big Racket these guys have going.

On the framing you have a few choices, 1 is buying something similar to the clear display which will run you about 200-300$ (probably the most ideal if you are going to switch jerseys) or a standard frame with felt.

If you go standard frame you can do it yourself it's pretty easy, ikea sells huge frames don't know the name off hand but they are like 50-60$ they easily fit jerseys. You simply go buy the frame cut out a cardboard or plastic form you want stick the jersey in and pin the jerseys in place( ya I said pin).

Any place you bring your jersey to frame will either pin it or sew it to the cut out to keep it in place I have even hears of some places gluing(ask before). I ordered 5 jerseys cases exactly like the ones from those crooks( same supplier) and it took 3 months to get here and I had to go to the airport to pick them up and pay 79$ in duty but the total price was 708$ instead of 430 a case. Like said they have quite a racket going if you don't believ me check the price of the jerseys they sell on eBay.

If you care about the jersey you are framing I would suggest you make sure you know what they are doing to it before hand. There are also other types of cases shadow box frames , free standing ect...

The patches are hideous that's just my opinion ..good luck with the project

I can't speak first hand to how good or bad they are, but I really like the look of ultra mount displays.

UltraMount

In particular, the acrylic display, though I suppose there's probably something a little nicer looking out there for the over $200 budget.

ad19.jpg

I think the arms down, hanging naturally, or folded in such a way as to show one number on each side would look best.

And, if you're asking, the patches look horrible. IMO, a jersey should match what's worn on the ice. You could display the patches creatively in another frame or perhaps take a practice jersey, cut the front down to just a square or rectangle with plenty of area around the crest and sew them on that.

keep in mind that most solutions may not have UV protection. The sun, or light of any kind, will absolutely fade the jersey over time.

Thanks for all the input.

For the UV problem. How much will the jersey fade if you display it an a room where the sole window will always be fully "closed" by blinds?

I have only done one jersey and thats the Jagr one in the picture. And since its not UV protected I begin to feel I did it the wrong way etc. And it cost alot since it was a company that did it.

A further problem is that I am in Europe, so ordering any frames or stuff from the USA would be very expensive. The only framed piece I bought from the USA came with the glass shattered.

Hm...I will have to start by asking the company I used how they attach the jerseys and what the cost is for UV protected glass etc.

I bought a frame from those guys and I met up with the owner Glen and paid cash gave me a small discount, I specifically asked him if the jersey frames cases were made in Canada and he said "YES". after some investigating I found out he orders them from China for a third at what he sells them. I was not amused to say the least and emailed him he never replied.

Do Not Buy from those guys! 430 bucks for a case?? Frigging crooks I am mad at myself for paying 280....pretty big Racket these guys have going.

These guys always have a booth at the local semi-annual memorabilia show. I asked the guy why these frames are so expensive and he says to me it's because the acrylic is really expensive. He usually drops the price to $275 for the show. I need 2 or 3 frames, as do my buddy, so we were thinking to offer $1000 for 5 frames a few weeks ago. But that's still a lot of money so we decided to look around some more. Hearing this though, I probably won't buy from them unless I'm paying $150 a frame.

Trust me they are liars , they don't even pay 125 for each for the amount they buy go see thei " eBay store" he sold me 1 at 280. I thought it was a deal till I started to look for the supplier and when the supplier quoted me the price I wanted to punch "mr" Glen in the head. I got 5 for 700$ it was a hassle with the airport and the forms to fill out , customs ect but I saved about 1500 not buying from those crooks.

Trust me they are liars , they don't even pay 125 for each for the amount they buy go see thei " eBay store" he sold me 1 at 280. I thought it was a deal till I started to look for the supplier and when the supplier quoted me the price I wanted to punch "mr" Glen in the head. I got 5 for 700$ it was a hassle with the airport and the forms to fill out , customs ect but I saved about 1500 not buying from those crooks.

Do you mind sharing who the supplier was that you got them from? Would be greatly appreciated...

I got a large jersey frame from from Pennzoni Display on eBay.

I liked it because it was wide enough to display a hockey jersey without the arms covering the back or being folded strange.

Do you mind sharing who the supplier was that you got them from? Would be greatly appreciated...

Not sure where Sungod got his but there are plenty to be had on www.alibaba.com - just type in "jersey display" in the search field

I plan to frame a Giroux jersey after I get it signed in Feb 2012. I think I'd rather have a jersey frame with the hangar over putting it in a photo-type frame... EIther pinned or sewn or glued...

I plan to frame a Giroux jersey after I get it signed in Feb 2012. I think I'd rather have a jersey frame with the hangar over putting it in a photo-type frame... EIther pinned or sewn or glued...

Giroux is doing a signing here in March so I hope to find a 2.0 by then to get it signed. I like those display frames with the hangar on top much better as well, it gives the jersey some shape instead of it being flat.

Ya know, since 99% of the crap you buy is made in China and distributed here for 10x the price I suppose everyone is a crook.

You said it yourself that it was a PITA, now do it by the container full.

While I agree that marking something up 100% is a bit much, acting like this guy is a thief when it is a common business practice is a bit much dontcha think?

Look at your shoes, shirt, etc etc...you paid too much for those as well.