How do you get the smell of cologne out of a jersey?

orangeblitz47

My friend just sold me a Reebok Edge jersey and he loves to wear cologne a lot and I have allergies. When I went home I washed the jersey on gentle cycle and air dried it. I put it on and couldn't stop sneezing, so I washed it 2 more times but this time on the heavy soil setting on the gentle setting. Now it smells fine except on the chest area above the crest smells like his cologne. What should I do or use to help get the rest of the smell of cologne out?

Wow, you have washed the jersey three times and can still smell cologne on parts it?

You must know when your friend comes over five minutes before you see him.

I received a jersey that smelled of cologne once, I didn't wash the jersey, just let it hang

and a couple of weeks later I couldn't tell the jersey had an odor.

Of course I am not as sensitive as you as I don't have allergies, but I would think time will take care of the problem.

It is warm and dry in California, let it hang outside, out of the sun for a while.

Just throwing this out there...but chances are if I'm wearing a hockey jersey, I won't be impressing any ladies, so cologne wouldn't be necessary anyway.

Also, this is silly...but my ex's family smoked like a family of chimneys in the dead of winter. I'm allergic to it, so it would get to the point where I was coughing up and tasting blood. What I would do is hang my shirt, jacket, even a jersey once out the window and drive at a reasonable clip for about a mile, and you would never know I was in a smokey home. This is serious, btw.

sex-panther-cologne.jpg

You can't wash it out because it's a special cologne... It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.

It's a formidable scent... It stings the nostrils. In a good way. They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

(paraphrased from Anchorman)

It smells like Bigfoot's d!ck!

I too would go the Febreze route. Spray the outside of the jersey and then turn it inside out and spray there too. Cover both layers.

My friend just sold me a Reebok Edge jersey and he loves to wear cologne a lot and I have allergies

Another reason why I don't buy used jerseys. Hell, I don't even trust that "new without tags" crap. Never know what a jersey is going to smell like once it's been on somebody.

Just throwing this out there...but chances are if I'm wearing a hockey jersey, I won't be impressing any ladies, so cologne wouldn't be necessary anyway.

That's because you wear Flyers jerseys :D. But seriously, I don't even wear cologne with normal clothes, much less hockey jerseys. Hell I even wear a t-shirt under my jerseys so they don't stink of deodorant.

Hell I even wear a t-shirt under my jerseys so they don't stink of deodorant.

is anyone put there NOT wearing clothes under a jersey? that just seems uncomfortable, let alone kinda gross

ahahahahaha chicks digging a hockey jersey, that's a good one XD

You know, oddly enough, my girlfriend thinks that white 1.0's are sexy, hence my leaning towards them and my abundance of white 1.0's. Sometimes you need all the help you can get hahaha.

Oh, and Dropkick, chicks dig playoff teams ;)

Oh, and Dropkick, chicks dig playoff teams ;)

Thats where I have been going wrong...so clear now lol :doh:

I was also going to suggest that you have someone else wear it to get the smell out.

is anyone put there NOT wearing clothes under a jersey? that just seems uncomfortable, let alone kinda gross

Trust me, I've seen it. I live in NYC after all, you wouldn't believe most of the sh*t I see.

I know NHLers do that. I tried it once to see how it felt. It isn't that bad with an Edge 1.0, but everything else it feels weird. That being said, I have never gone for more than 2 minutes without wearing a shirt while wearing a jersey.

I picture the little old chinese lady from Happy Gilmore wearing a jersey with no clothes under it

That is an image I did not need....thanks :unsure:

Let the jersey air out in the great outdoors overnight or for 24 hours. Then, like others have suggested, use Febreeze or an agent that will eliminate odors. Follow this up by washing the jersey. Use a fabric softner or dryer sheet that has a scent. After all this, the smell SHOULD be gone, if not be very faint at this time. Maybe repeat this if it does not work the first time.

I haven't done this with jerseys, rather my clothes (t-shirts, jeans). I used to go to parties in college where people would smoke inside. By the time I got home my clothes would smell like cigarettes. I used what I described above and it worked VERY well.

I hope you can solve your problem!

Just washed it today and sprayed it with febreze and I got the smell of cologne out but now my jersey smells like febreze. Luckily I am not allergic to febreze. Its better than smelling the cologne, now I have to wait for the febreze to wear off. I was going to let it sit outside but I worked all day and wouldn't be able to keep an eye on it because it gets very windy where I live in California.

I never wear cologne with jerseys and always wear shirts under. I couldn't imagine a jersey being comfortable without some sort of shirt underneath. I couldn't pass up the offer my friend gave me, he needed the money and it was a good jersey pick up for me. Thanks for the help guys, I hope this post will help others with the same situation.

If I launder anything, I use vinegar in place of fabric softener. It has the same effect, but also acts as a disinfectant and removes plenty of horrible smells in the process. And since it breaks down the way that it does, there's no vinegar smell that remains...so all my jerseys smell like hockey jerseys and not like they were in the cheap seats at the old Aud in Buffalo.