The one that got away.

The Hype

So everyone here is always posting about how they scored this jersey, or that one...But what about the ones that got away? The ones where even to this day you think about it and go "######!" and shake your fist at the wall. The craigslist searches gone sour, the ebay auctions that got sniped at the last second, how about it fella's?

I'll start. Perusing LA craigslist "Ryan Getzlaf jersey" clicked on it. New with tags. Authentic. Triple layered name/number. 2006-2007. Autographed. Price? $100. My face? homer-drool.gif

Emailed the guy and he says "Sorry don't have Paypal, won't ship to Canada." @#$%&^^% *(%@#$!#@!!!!

Still looking for another one, sigh.

So everyone here is always posting about how they scored this jersey, or that one...But what about the ones that got away? The ones where even to this day you think about it and go "######!" and shake your fist at the wall. The craigslist searches gone sour, the ebay auctions that got sniped at the last second, how about it fella's?

I'll start. Perusing LA craigslist "Ryan Getzlaf jersey" clicked on it. New with tags. Authentic. Triple layered name/number. 2006-2007. Autographed. Price? $100. My face? homer-drool.gif

Emailed the guy and he says "Sorry don't have Paypal, won't ship to Canada." @#$%&^^% *(%@#$!#@!!!!

Still looking for another one, sigh.

I don't get how sellers don't ship to Cananda?!!? that's half of your customer base IMO.

I lost a Authentic diagonal pens that way. couldn't believe it when we told me he was sending my money back.

I gotta admit I *hate* having to mail jerseys to Canada. I normally only will do it for someone I know from the various jerseys boards.

The US Postal Service has made it so easy to mail within the US it's ridiculous. I have a supply of flat rate boxes perfect for jerseys and I can print the labels myself and safely and quickly ship anywhere in the US for around $10 without ever having to go to the post office.

To ship to Canada I have to go get a box and tape and then make a special trip to the Post Office (the most annoying place on earth next to the DMV) and fill out a bunch of paperwork by hand. With my work schedule its just not worth my time to do that for someone I don't know.

I gotta admit I *hate* having to mail jerseys to Canada. I normally only will do it for someone I know from the various jerseys boards.

The US Postal Service has made it so easy to mail within the US it's ridiculous. I have a supply of flat rate boxes perfect for jerseys and I can print the labels myself and safely and quickly ship anywhere in the US for around $10 without ever having to go to the post office.

To ship to Canada I have to go get a box and tape and then make a special trip to the Post Office (the most annoying place on earth next to the DMV) and fill out a bunch of paperwork by hand. With my work schedule its just not worth my time to do that for someone I don't know.

Akteon, I think you can print the label online. I might be wrong but many sellers did that for me.

I hate dealing with customs forms. Shipping to Canada can be a chore. I'm thinking of only using EPS for now on since they are in the USA.

Akteon, I think you can print the label online. I might be wrong but many sellers did that for me.

You can fill out and print the label online, but not the customs forms (as far as I know). So it still takes a trip to the Post Office.

Honestly it's nothing against buyers in Canada at all - it's more the pain that post office / customs puts you through.

You can fill out and print the label online, but not the customs forms (as far as I know). So it still takes a trip to the Post Office.

Honestly it's nothing against buyers in Canada at all - it's more the pain that post office / customs puts you through.

In almost every case that the seller doesn't ship to Canada the jersey goes for less, sometimes much less, than it should. I'm pretty sure the #1 priority for any seller on ebay is making as much as possible - as soon as you don't ship here you almost always guarantee that's not going to happen. Convenience or cash?

In almost every case that the seller doesn't ship to Canada the jersey goes for less, sometimes much less, than it should. I'm pretty sure the #1 priority for any seller on ebay is making as much as possible - as soon as you don't ship here you almost always guarantee that's not going to happen. Convenience or cash?

I don't disagree at all that when selling hockey jerseys not shipping to Canada cuts out large portion of potential buyers. But I will say it's not entirely a convenience thing - time is money. The extra might I might make off the jersey usually doesn't offset the loss of my time to ship it outside the US.

But then again I'm not a flipper nor am I someone who tries to get rich off eBay. I simply sell jerseys I don't need anymore hoping to get a bit of income to offset all the money going out to support my habbit-err, hobby :)

As some members on this board can attest, it's not that I *never* ship to Canada, but I honestly consider it a favor to a fellow collector and not something I'd do for an anonymous eBay buyer.

Personally I wish IceJerseys had a US address to send jerseys to for customization - I know I'd use them more often if that was the case.

My grail. The Russian Yzerman jersey from the Larionov Farewell game. Got snipped a few times and actually won two auctions...that never came through :angry:

My grail. The Russian Yzerman jersey from the Larionov Farewell game. Got snipped a few times and actually won two auctions...that never came through :angry:

That's rough dude. To have won your grail twice and get stiffed both times is almost laughable, almost.

That's rough dude. To have won your grail twice and get stiffed both times is almost laughable, almost.

Yeah, I was so ticked. I even went through old auctions of the jersey to find out who won and tried to contact them through ebay to offer more than they paid and no dice.

IT will come be patient. i never thought i would get a 1982 goulet hammered but it just landed in my lap one day. time my friend all a question of time

IT will come be patient. i never thought i would get a 1982 goulet hammered but it just landed in my lap one day. time my friend all a question of time

The fact that you acquired it drunk is even more impressive!

;)

Well, this may sound silly, but I've had a good number of jerseys get away from me. Fortunately, a few times, I later found them at lower prices than they were auctioned off for on ebay. But to me there's nothing more irritating than getting sniped at the last second of an auction. I don't like it and I wish it was illegal.

Usually when I bid on ebay I'll bid for the maximum I am willing to pay for the jersey. If I do get outbid by the conclusion of the auction, then I often don't feel bad because chances are the jersey went for more than I was willing to pay for it. But I think most people here know that nearly everything shows up on ebay at one time or another. Sometimes jerseys show up more than once, which is what I hope for.

For example, a while back I was bidding on a M&N Penguins Dave Schultz jersey and my max was $250 because I really wanted the jersey. I ended up losing the auction, but didn't care because I refused to pay over $250 for it. It turns out a member at JC had a Pens Schultz M&N and sold it to me for less than half of what I intended on paying for the one on ebay. :)

The moral of the story is I guess sometimes it's better not to overpay because you just NEVER KNOW when it will pop up again. :D

I agree, and I will hardly ever get a used jersey for more then $75. I also agree that the sniping is a pain in the butt.

I've scored plenty of beauty jerseys with 3 seconds left in the auction. Why show your hand if you don't need too....

I snipe as well, chances are good you will not only win the auction but you will win it for much cheaper then if you placed your bid with say 3 days to go.

I snipe as well, chances are good you will not only win the auction but you will win it for much cheaper then if you placed your bid with say 3 days to go.

So true, I've won jerseys for incredible prices that I never could have if I got into a bidding war with someone days before it ended...pretty tough to counter a bid with 3 seconds left!

Yeah well it's not terrible, but I bet you all would feel the same way I do if it happened to you. I'll admit I have placed a bid with seconds left and sometimes won and sometimes lost. Sometimes it's worth it like when you see an auction at a VERY low price that is going to end soon. Then there's a good time to bid at the last few seconds.

depending on the jersey & price... if theres already a bid even just 1 bid.. i let it go...

now i wouldn't let a 94-97 Eastern Confrence All-Star jersey go, but since i have been huntin for avalanche jerseys i have come across a few that i could have won easily but just let some one else get em...

You stay away from authentic EAS jerseys!

lol... have you bid on any replicas?

i saw one about a week or 2 ago... had like 2 hours left and was at 15 so i bid on it it was size XXL i think if i won it i was gonna send it you way... NO Joke...

Yeah well it's not terrible, but I bet you all would feel the same way I do if it happened to you. I'll admit I have placed a bid with seconds left and sometimes won and sometimes lost. Sometimes it's worth it like when you see an auction at a VERY low price that is going to end soon. Then there's a good time to bid at the last few seconds.

If you can't beat them, join them :skaterwht: