advice for buying Starter NHL jerseys

613sens

So I would like to buy some NHL Starter jerseys from 20 or so years ago.  I like how Starter fits and looks.  Worried about fakes and what to look out for so please comment with your tips. 
Also, if I wear a Starter replica XL NHL jersey...which authentic size should I get?

I could be wrong, but I don't ever recall seeing fake Starter jersey's from years past.  From my experience as far as fit, if you wear XL in a replica Starter a size 54 in an authentic should be more than fine, maybe even 52 as they do tend to fit big compared to RBK's.

I don't think I've ever seen a fake Starter outside of Rangers Gretzky jerseys. Regarding sizing, late 90's jerseys fit much larger than their early 90's counterparts. A 52 fits more like a 54/56 which I categorize as an XL-XXL.

I do like the Starter mesh like NY and CO wore as well as the ultrafil-like material the Pens used. The fit is no different from any other jersey during that era. Biggest thing with Starter jerseys is where they're manufactured as some (Haiti?) didn't have double elbows or fight straps, others (El Salvador?) sometimes had these items and other times didn't. Berlin, WI were what players wore and are most accurate.

Another problem with Starter jerseys is nameplate material. The jerseys were sold at retail with a separate nameplate (which was awesome), but those are very difficult to find nowadays. If you don't have the nameplate material, you're SOL with getting the jersey customized accurately.

Mesh like rangers/Avs? I don’t remember that, but I’m not an expert on Pens jerseys. I just remember their thicker ultrafil-like starter jerseys 

1 hour ago, furiousd said:

Yeah some of the Starter Pens gamers were mesh. Not sure which years, but I know I've seen Berlin made mesh ones in people's collections.

https://www.gamewornauctions.net/products/1997_98_Jaromir_Jagr_Pittsburgh_Penguins_Game_Worn_Jersey-4407-120.html

Yeesh, a Jagr gamer for $2200? Wow. I wouldn’t be surprised to see one sell for 3-4x that today. 

12 hours ago, furiousd said:

Yeah some of the Starter Pens gamers were mesh. Not sure which years, but I know I've seen Berlin made mesh ones in people's collections.

https://www.gamewornauctions.net/products/1997_98_Jaromir_Jagr_Pittsburgh_Penguins_Game_Worn_Jersey-4407-120.html

Very cool. Learn something new everyday!