Small area of glue removal

I had to pull off an alternate captain's "A" that I added to a jersey by mistake. I am not really comfortable working with acetone. Are there any easier methods of glue removal I can try before I have to resort to that? 

I'm very disappointed in myself. Always check your photo references, even if you THINK you know!!

I prefer Goof Off over acetone.

Is it a white jersey?

You may experience some yellowing at 1st but it rinses out (cold water)  

45 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

I prefer Goof Off over acetone.

Is it a white jersey?

You may experience some yellowing at 1st but it rinses out (cold water)  

It's red. 

I happened to be driving past Home Depot and I bought two products. 

One is Goo Gone Pro-Power Goo and Adhesive Remover. The other is Goof Off Pro Strength Remover. 

I will start with the less harsh Goo Gone, and go from there. And, why not, I'll document it with pictures. 

We'll start with a picture of my A, like all good threads should. 

45566724264_5a28a6761b_b.jpg

Edited by mfitz804

In my experience I have had ZERO luck with Goo Gone on anything. I'd throw that right in the bin.

If it's a red jersey I would have no issue with Goof Off at all. That stuff works great (use in a well ventilated room!!)

I typically spray or pour it on and hit it with a toothbrush - rinse and repeat if necessary but I bet one time will do the trick. 

Ok, so I went at it with the Goo Gone, and nothing. Like you predicted. Oh well, I use it around the house for some things so it won't go to waste. 

The Goof Off, however, that seems to have done the trick. I started by applying it with a cotton swab and this did a pretty good job on most of it. On the stubborn areas, I just poured it right on and then scrubbed it with the cotton swab. 

I then liberally rinsed it with cold water, and then washed the area with a little mild soap and rinsed again. It'll get a full wash this evening. 

I would note, I have a raging sinus infection and cannot even smell the Goof Off, which may be good and may be bad. I could totally be high on the fumes right now. The only time I smelled it was when I stupidly took a deep whiff of the fabric after rinsing to see if I got the smell out. Not even close, that was a strong odor right there. 

Looking at it now, there's a little pilling/fuzz I may have to hit with a fabric shaver. It could be bits of cotton swab that are stuck and will come off in the wash.

Waiting for it to dry but I think we've had success here. 

That residue is minimal and probably would have come off with acetone as well.  For real thick residue, acetone doesn’t seem as effective to me because it evaporates so quickly, sometimes within a few seconds.  Goof-off soaks into the material and softens the residue over a longer period of time, so I use that for the more messy residue jobs.

As it dries, I’m still seeing an outline. I can’t tell if it’s glue or just the compression of the fabric.

I will wash it tonight and press it out. Then we’ll see where we are at. 

46241105102_bab4face24_b.jpg44474362320_7caebf344f_b.jpg

That looks like glue.  What usually happens with me is that when the residue is that light, passing the iron over it with steam just vaporizes the residue and it comes out automatically with the ironing.  If the residue is heavier, I won’t dare iron it because it might fuse into the fabric.  But with light residue like that, it always seems to come out with the iron, at least for me.

I’m kind of tiring of it. My plan is pretty much to sell this jersey anyway, I was just trying to make it correct before I sold it. Probably not the best idea, I probably should have sold as is.

I’m going to wash and press it and see what happens. When you say that the residue comes out with the iron, are you ironing directly on the fabric, or through a sheet or towel?

I’ve done it directly on the fabric and it turned out fine.  (Just a quick pass or two)  Note that I would only make this suggestion with the lightest of residue lines, not something potentially messier.  I wouldn’t want your jersey to be ruined, and I’m assuming your residue situation is similar to mine, but of course I can’t be absolutely sure without seeing it myself.

Sorry to chime in late (stupid work) I agree with 100% of what LAK posted.

I would wash the jersey and straight out of the wash while it's still damp, hit it directly on the fabric with a LOT of steam and that outline will be gone.

Then let it hang dry and yer golden pony boy!

34 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

Sorry to chime in late (stupid work) I agree with 100% of what LAK posted.

I would wash the jersey and straight out of the wash while it's still damp, hit it directly on the fabric with a LOT of steam and that outline will be gone.

Then let it hang dry and yer golden pony boy!

Now I feel like they should’ve named that team the Vegas Golden Pony Boys.

How about this small area from a poorly removed Centennial patch? Might the Goof off work here?

Will probably try anyway, since my alternate plan is just to cover it back up. But what do you think?

A pic would help but I'm betting it would work.

If it's a Centennial patch I think it's safe to assum you are working with Ultrafil?

In my experience, Ultrafil is bulletproof - I have a few older jerseys that were (and still are) hammered with glue.
I use them as my test dummy for any new chemical that someone suggests and I have yet to hurt the fabric in any way.

Air-Knit is also pretty resiliant

If the glue is hard I typically hit it with Goof-Off and let it sit / work it's way into the glue. It will turn it into a rubbery like or more plyable gunk that you can scrape off with the back of a butterknife (don't use the serrated side because that's just silly)

Edited by Hockey Bob

Apologies, it’s the NHL centennial patch from last year, not the Cup centennial. So it’s an Adidas Jersey. 

46370720111_08f07dba82_b.jpg

A lot of what you are seeing is the backing from the patch, I believe. Ideally I’d like to make it a Brodeur HOF night so this would need cleaning. Otherwise, it’s getting a new NHL 100 patch and it’ll be last year’s jersey. 

Ah,
I spoze I didn't think that through all the way.
I have not had much experience with that material
Looks like you get to be the test dummy :D

I wouldn't have an issue with giving it a go with the Goof-Off if it was mine but I can't be responsible.

Keep us posted

Has anyone used Goof Off on Adidas material? I'm not too keen on the idea of my second attempt being experimental in nature lol. 

I can report that the material was unaffected. However, some of the glue was similarly unaffected. I'm getting a new 100th patch and going that way.