Bruins customization

TheKevinShow

After an extensive discussion with LAK74, I've come up with the following directions for proper customization of 1995-2007 Bruins jerseys.

Black jersey

• Back numbers: white twill bottom layer, gold twill top layer with screen-printed black border and black stitching over the black border
  • Sleeve numbers: one black twill layer with screen-printed inner white border and white stitching over the white border
  • Name: white twill bottom layer, gold twill top layer with black stitching inner border

White jersey

• Back numbers: one black twill layer with screen-printed inner gold border and gold stitching over the gold border
  • Sleeve numbers: gold twill bottom layer, white twill top layer with screen-printed black border and black stitching over the black border
  • Name: one black twill layer with screen-printed inner gold border and gold stitching over the gold border

Here are some photos of game-worn Bruins jerseys from the era that demonstrate what I mean by the above directions.

Tebi9bQm.jpg R8MUwZQm.jpg

bYvf4K9m.jpg kbsSmVbm.jpg

JIM07Fcm.jpg xhWYxGxm.jpg

I have quotes from multiple customizers for doing three Bruins jerseys (two replica, one team issue) in that style and also a less-expensive but more durable option (kiss-cut with tight stitching on top of the kiss-cut layer to simulate the screen printing/stitching, which is demonstrated by the below picture of the numbers from LAK74's Blues Demitra jersey done by EPS). The kiss-cut option will look very much like the real on-ice jerseys but will not be authentic. Only someone with a keen eye for those details would notice and/or nitpick it.

jcXS5GEm.jpg

Unfortunately, I've gotten too many warnings about Custom Crafted's customer service to make me want to go with them. Thus, I have to go elsewhere. I'm looking at EPS and Keener in particular because I have experience with EPS and Keener is extremely well-regarded. My question to the community is this: do you feel that going with the alternate kiss-cut option is an acceptable deviation, since it would be more durable? Screen printing won't stand up to nearly as much abuse.

Edited by TheKevinShow

5 minutes ago, Brilliant! said:

Keener has done the printed layers for me several times and they always look great.

The thing that I'm concerned about is shipping. EPS quoted me $80/jersey for the kiss-cut option and $100/jersey for the sublimated (Josh said they'd do it sublimated, not screen-printed) and Keener quoted me $100CAD/jersey for both options which is about $75USD/jersey. Basically a wash on the customization cost itself if I go with the kiss-cut option. However, it costs me about $30 more in shipping each way to go to Canada. My math could be off, though. It costs me about $35 to ship a single jersey to Canada and based on the size of the box I have sitting next to me, it'd be about $50 to do all three. To EPS, it's $18-ish to ship all three in a flat rate box and they've always charged me $20 shipping to send them back.

$344 shipped both ways for EPS to do the jerseys sublimated, since the 1995-96 would have to have the ASG patch.

$284 shipped both ways for EPS to do the jerseys kiss-cut.

$325 for Keener to do the jerseys, regardless of which style I go with. That assumes, of course, that the shipping cost for the three jerseys from Winnipeg to California is the same as what it costs me to ship it from California to Winnipeg.

So, if I want to do it kiss-cut, I'd definitely be better off with EPS. If I want to do it screen-printed, I'm better off with Keener. Decisions, decisions...

If Keener can do it perfectly, and you want it perfect, go with Keener. If you want it 95% go with EPS. But will that lack of 5% bother you? If so, pay the extra $ to have it done right, IMO. 

3 minutes ago, furiousd said:

I think your shipping estimates the Keener way are high. I've never had it cost 50 each way. More like 40 there and 25 back, if I recall.

I ship Priority Mail International because of the tracking and insurance. For one jersey and a package weight of 1 lb. 7 oz., that runs me $35. My math may have been off, but I ran rough calculations for 3 jerseys through USPS' shipping calculator and they came up with just short of $50.