Bought a gameworn jersey that turns out to be an event worn

Flyrs21

I usually don't post a lot but do read the boards often and recognize some names from some game used forums that are out there but I would like some opinions on what to do with my problem.

I recently bought a game worn jersey on ebay and didn't really get a chance to research it cause the jersey was ending soon but bought it anyway because I didn't want to miss out on it. The ebay listing description was that it was a game worn jersey. It came with a loa from a known auction house so I thought some of the authentication was already completed for the jersey. After I received the jersey I started doing some research and called meigray and found out that it is listed by the NHL as being an event worn jersey and not a game worn/used jersey and 3 other jerseys were worn for each period. I checked video from the 3 different periods and in each period the name plate and numbers of the jersey I purchased didn't match the video.

Turns out the jersey was already sold on ebay a week or two before I purchased it and relisted. After reading some other sites I found that another forum member had already alerted the seller that it was an event worn jersey but the seller just relisted it as being a game worn and didn't describe it as being an event worn jersey.

My question is what should be done with this jersey? I don't want it since it's probably not a game worn. I haven't contacted the seller yet about returning it, in the listing it says no returns but we all know how ebay works. I feel like if I return it they are just going to be shady about it and relist it as gameworn jersey hoping that someone else comes along and purchases it as a gamer.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The general rule of thumb is always do your homework. If it is a meigray registered jersey you could of checked the population report. I'm not saying these things to be a downer on you but just pointing it out. Best thing you could do is open a case with eBay about the bad description.

You got an item that was not as described. Get some documentary evidence (I.e. Print out the population report if it's listed there), and ask the seller for a refund. If he refuses, make the claim. You'll need to prove 1) it's event worn and not game worn, and 2) that the difference affects the value, because the eBay people are likely to not understand the difference otherwise. You might also point out the prior sale.

You didn't (couldn't) do the research, but eBay's rules permit you to rely on the item description.

Frankly buyers have all the power on eBay these days, the rules are all in their favor. Open a case and provide all the info you verified from MeiGray, but I'd leave out the stuff about hearing 2nd hand that someone else told him it was an event jersey, just stick with what you can prove. I think that would be enough for eBay/Paypal to force the seller to allow you to return the jersey for a refund. You'd probably be out return shipping is all.

Frankly buyers have all the power on eBay these days, the rules are all in their favor. Open a case and provide all the info you verified from MeiGray, but I'd leave out the stuff about hearing 2nd hand that someone else told him it was an event jersey, just stick with what you can prove. I think that would be enough for eBay/Paypal to force the seller to allow you to return the jersey for a refund. You'd probably be out return shipping is all.

Agreed. And be prepared to show what the difference is between event and game worn as I stated above. You have to demonstrate those are defined terms and it affects the value. Otherwise, to a lay person, it sounds the same, a game is an event, etc.

Thanks for the replies guys. The jersey is an all star jersey and used for the photoshoot, I don't know why I wrote event jersey in my post. It was used before the population reports started being used but meigray has all the serial numbers from the NHL, I believe from1998 to current day and it's listed as a photoshoot jersey. Don't have pics readily available yet.

Before I send it back I feel like I need to somehow alert the next person that buys it that it is listed as a photoshoot jersey because the seller will just sell it again as just a gameworn jersey. The next person may not know that Meigray has a list of the serial numbers.

I know this is a strange example but it's like I'm in a convenience store and see someone shoplifting but I don't tell the owner and it's his fault because he doesn't catch them...ha ha

Thanks for the replies guys. The jersey is an all star jersey and used for the photoshoot, I don't know why I wrote event jersey in my post. It was used before the population reports started being used but meigray has all the serial numbers from the NHL, I believe from1998 to current day and it's listed as a photoshoot jersey. Don't have pics readily available yet.

Before I send it back I feel like I need to somehow alert the next person that buys it that it is listed as a photoshoot jersey because the seller will just sell it again as just a gameworn jersey. The next person may not know that Meigray has a list of the serial numbers.

I know this is a strange example but it's like I'm in a convenience store and see someone shoplifting but I don't tell the owner and it's his fault because he doesn't catch them...ha ha

i know the feeling.......should i rat the person out or not, i allways say no to myself, don´t be a dikk , especially when i got my pockets full of s*** as well.........​ :P

Edited by tomtucker

It admirable that you want to protect everyone, but unless you are going to follow this guy's listings and try to contact any future buyer, not sure you'll accomplish that. I suppose you could just report his listing to eBay before it sells, cite your prior experience with it and tell them he's trying to defraud people.

Seems like a lot of work though, I'd focus my efforts on getting my money back.

Did you ever contact him to ask for a return?

It admirable that you want to protect everyone, but unless you are going to follow this guy's listings and try to contact any future buyer, not sure you'll accomplish that. I suppose you could just report his listing to eBay before it sells, cite your prior experience with it and tell them he's trying to defraud people.

No didn't contact them yet. I was thinking about contacting the other person who contacted Meigray and see if they found out any other info about the jersey.

I guess the seller will want to retract the positive feedback they gave me on Ebay after all of this ;)

I purshased a event worn Rick Nash all star jersey but was told that in the listing .the players have both team all star jerseys made up for them for events around the all star game and the draft so they can put on the correct jersey when chosen . Who was the player on the jersey

No didn't contact them yet. I was thinking about contacting the other person who contacted Meigray and see if they found out any other info about the jersey.

I guess the seller will want to retract the positive feedback they gave me on Ebay after all of this ;)

Honestly, if you are upset by it the first thing you should have done is contact the seller and ask to return it. Why wouldn't you do that right away?

The other issue is that, while eBay does a lot for the buyer in their terms and conditions, it's not hard to create a new account and start ripping people off again. How many times have y'all seen an obvious importer of fakes get burned and then see those same listings (photos, description, and all) back a few months later?

I remember seeing this jersey bought up on a Facebook forum quite recently. From the sounds of it, everybody felt bad for you and are upset with the seller for misrepresenting it as game worn.

Well if it's not game worn it's obviously misrepresented. I would think a game worn Forsberg would go for a lot more than that but I don't really know pricing on game worn All Star Jerseys.

I first wanted to research the jersey to see if it was possibly worn in the game.

It sounds like you've done that, contacting him would be the logical next step. The longer you wait, the less likely he'll cooperate.

Seems to me it might be worth the price. But the OP said he only wanted it because it was game worn.

Edited by mfitz804

I remember seeing this jersey bought up on a Facebook forum quite recently. From the sounds of it, everybody felt bad for you and are upset with the seller for misrepresenting it as game worn.

What's worse is it was listed as a gameworn in their auction with no mention of it being a photoshoot by the NHL. A five minute phone call to Meigray would have revealed that during the "authentication" process.