Anyone try to customize their own jersey?

I can get kits not problem for about half the cost of normal lettering just wanted to know if anyone had any tips for sewing them myself, special needles/threads ect. I have tried a little on a patch and it looked horrible, uneven stitches and such.

I do my own. I bought a used sewing machine and looked at a bunch of youtube videos on how to use it. Got myself some scrap twill and played around with it until I was able to do it properly. It takes some time to get the settings right in oder to get the zig zag stitch to look good but once you get the hang of it it's a piece of cake.

I have never tried nor do i plan to

I've stripped one or two now and in doing so realize that i would never want to put myself through all that lol, especially knowing how bad of a job i'd do

If you'd like to hook me up with some kits i may give it a shot tho :)

I think Mike uses a decent middle of the road sewing machine for his work. I believe at one point he posted some info on what kind of machine, settings etc. but I wasn't able to find it.

As for me, I don't think I'll ever customize my own jerseys as I think any I do would probably end up like this:

KovalevCrayon.jpg

I was actually just searching the forums last night for info on this.

I got some kits, and a lot of partial ones, from Keener just the other day, but my mom's old machine is throwing a ton of fits on me. Was thinking about buying a new machine this weekend...either the Singer 5400 or 6180, as both are available at Walmart and come with pretty good reviews. Both are actually available as factory-serviced models...but if anything is amiss when I get it I'll simply just return it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Singer-6180-Factory-Serviced-Sewing-Machine/17163548

Thoughts? I obviously don't need all the extra pre-programmed stitches, but when it first came out the 6180 was apparently a $1000ish machine.

Mine is a singer that I bought used for $100. Probably a 300-400 machine when new. All you really need is something that does a zig zag stitch.

I think Mike uses a decent middle of the road sewing machine for his work. I believe at one point he posted some info on what kind of machine, settings etc. but I wasn't able to find it.

As for me, I don't think I'll ever customize my own jerseys as I think any I do would probably end up like this:

KovalevCrayon.jpg

KovalevCrayon.jpg

I am new to the forum, who is Mike? Also would anyone think of doing a tutorial video?

I picked up a Singer for $100 at Sears a couple years ago and can sew anything I need. Best investment I've ever made.

Iron numbers down or use temp adhesive?

I was planning on temp adhesive, but on my test run with garbage numbers I realized that it's hard to place accurately this way...

Also, what gauge needles do you guys use? The standard needles that came with my machine work fine on the numbers, though once I started to test on an old patch I make it a little ways into the patch before it hits something, makes a loudish chunking noise and then jams. Assuming I need a heavier gauge needle. Do you guys use heavier needles for everything or just patches?

Edited by blurryhaze312