Why not strip the tag off replicas?

StayFrosty

After stripping my first jersey by myself about a week ago, only now do I realize how easy it is to do.

After realizing this fact, now the weird size tags on the current replicas are annoying me even more. They are so ugly. What's the point of them, by the way?

Would it be totally not advisable to strip the tag off the replica, to make it look nicer and more 'authentic? Would it be a definite no-no, or would it actually be ideal?

I can't help but think how easy it would be to yank that sucker off. But then, I suppose that would make the jersey become an altered custom.

Any advice? I'm sure this has been thought of before.

It must be very simple as I am sure they are only sewn rather than glued and stitched. I would be concerned that the Premier fabric, which I hate, might still show stitch marks in the fabric once the tag was removed.

But I have never done it. If I had a Premier I would definitely consider it, even if I just started with a stitch or two that could be replaced if the fabric beneath it was marred.

I hate those tags and removed both of them from the only 2 Premiers I ever had. No adhesive was used on them and they came off easily. Just iron with steam and any stitch marks will disappear, no problem.

I strip em off my replicas. Some leave faint marks you can barely see. Others nothing.

Oh sweet. Maybe I should try it on one of mine. I currently have about 14 jerseys in total, 7 authentics and 7 replicas. I don't really wear replicas anymore but still, it might be nice to do this to them.

Seriously.... what are those tags for? Just more Reebok/NHL promotion or what?

I removed them on the premiers I own as soon as I got them. They leave a barely visible mark (just don't snag the jersey). Not sure why they put them on in the first place. Maybe to make them easier to sort since they probably make a lot more of them for the public? Either way, if they have to do it, I just wish they made it easier to remove, like a pillow/mattress tag.

The jock tags do come off easily. Just go slow - I do know of at least one poster here who left a whole by going too quickly.

As for why they are there, I know that jock tags are common on football jerseys and Reebok had the NFL license when they started the NHL Premier line, so I figure that was the reason.

The one replica I had I did take it off. When I went to sell the thing I had a guy try to negotiate price because it was removed, I told him to forget it and sold it later that day at the asking price. I think it's best to take it off.

I have removed the jock tag on the few replicas I have owned. I just use a seam ripper to remove the stitching and then iron the area to remove any marks. Just put a white tee shirt between the iron and the jerseys.

2009AllStarGameReplicaNash61Front-1.jpg

Has anyone ever tried taking off the vector/workmark/logo off the left sleeve too? I imagine that would come off with a seam ripper too if it isn't a patch.

There embroided into the jersey. I would think you would ruin it since they are not patches.

It's not as easy as that. I've dug out embroidery before and it can be tricky. It can be done but it takes time and practice and even then you could end up putting holes in the material.