What's the difference between air-knit, ultrafil and x-trafil as compared to the CCM or Starter mesh?

Cygnus X-1

What's the difference between air-knit, ultrafil and x-trafil as compared to the CCM or Starter mesh? I have an air-knit and it's sturdier than an EDGE 1.0 but not as rough as a CCM mesh. I also find the EDGE 2.0's to be more durable than the 1.0's.

Bonus question: the stripes on the the current Rangers' jerseys are part of the material ("dyed" on). Is that technically sublimation or is there another word to describe this?

If you look closely at a particular area with color changes, you can tell if it's sublimated or not.

Sublimation is a process that involves injecting dye directly into the fabric and sealing it. Sublimation paper (which carries the ink) has a coating on the back of it that serves as a sort of clearcoat, which protects the ink from being washed out in laundering.

If you look closely at the area, sublimated ink will go in nice smooth lines with no fuzzing or blurriness around the edges. And if you look on the inside of that area, it'll usually be somewhere in the white-gray spectrum, with maybe a small amount of the ink transferring through. This Quad City Mallards USA special is sublimated; you can see how much different the inside looks as far as how vivid the color is (down near the hem, or the inside of the right sleeve). http://i.imgur.com/9vv1yHl.jpg

Most NHL jerseys have woven color breaks. If you look on the inside, the color is as vivid as on the outside. And if you look closely, the edges of the color follow not straight lines, but the actual loops of the weave. It creates a slightly fuzzy effect. This signed Montreal Canadiens jersey is a good example; look at the edges of rhe color changes, and it becomes more obvious. http://i.imgur.com/QNZWzQy.jpg

(Make sure to zoom in on both of those pictures for maximum effect)

If you look closely at a particular area with color changes, you can tell if it's sublimated or not.

Sublimation is a process that involves injecting dye directly into the fabric and sealing it. Sublimation paper (which carries the ink) has a coating on the back of it that serves as a sort of clearcoat, which protects the ink from being washed out in laundering.

If you look closely at the area, sublimated ink will go in nice smooth lines with no fuzzing or blurriness around the edges. And if you look on the inside of that area, it'll usually be somewhere in the white-gray spectrum, with maybe a small amount of the ink transferring through. This Quad City Mallards USA special is sublimated; you can see how much different the inside looks as far as how vivid the color is (down near the hem, or the inside of the right sleeve). http://i.imgur.com/9vv1yHl.jpg

Most NHL jerseys have woven color breaks. If you look on the inside, the color is as vivid as on the outside. And if you look closely, the edges of the color follow not straight lines, but the actual loops of the weave. It creates a slightly fuzzy effect. This signed Montreal Canadiens jersey is a good example; look at the edges of rhe color changes, and it becomes more obvious. http://i.imgur.com/QNZWzQy.jpg

(Make sure to zoom in on both of those pictures for maximum effect)

Your description of sublimation is incorrect.

There is no sealing that takes place.

The paper does have a special coating, however, it is only for the purpose of carrying the ink. It has nothing to do with protecting the ink from washing out. As a matter of fact, I have once used kraft paper as my paper without problem and gotten full color!

When you sublimate, white polyester fabric is what we use. It is the heat that converts the ink (liquid) into a gas, and then "infuses" the polyester fibres and sets as a solid within. It only works on polyester fabric. Once it is in the fibres, it won't fade/crack/peel. Fading however, can occur, if the jersey or sublimated product is left in the sun, as it is not UV protected.

When a fabric is sublimated, the image will appear in full color on the outside, while the inside stays relatively white (if using white fabric). You will see the graphic through the material, however, it isn't a bleed per se, and certainly doesn't show through like the front. A lot of what you see through from the backside depends on what is sublimated on the front side of the fabric. If the front is like the Quad City jersey with distinct lines and "full coverage" as seen on the right sleeve, you will be able to make out the graphic from the front side. If you get a graphic that is super busy, you won't make out the graphic as much (if that makes sense).

JA, regarding the sublimated designs of the Koho and CCM 6100 jerseys from the early 2000's (e.g., Stars, Penguins, etc.), if you tried to strip one of these and used solvents like Goof-Off to remove adhesive residue, would that remove some of the coloring as well? I had that impression, and so I've never wanted to even attempt it.

JA, regarding the sublimated designs of the Koho and CCM 6100 jerseys from the early 2000's (e.g., Stars, Penguins, etc.), if you tried to strip one of these and used solvents like Goof-Off to remove adhesive residue, would that remove some of the coloring as well? I had that impression, and so I've never wanted to even attempt it.

I've never tried using any type of chemical on a sublimated jersey, so, I wouldn't know. PM me and I'll be glad to send you a swatch to test.

Your description of sublimation is incorrect.

There is no sealing that takes place.

The paper does have a special coating, however, it is only for the purpose of carrying the ink. It has nothing to do with protecting the ink from washing out. As a matter of fact, I have once used kraft paper as my paper without problem and gotten full color!

Interesting. My question would be why certain sublimated jerseys (like the old Bauer knit) have a distinctly different feel to them than a regular cut-and-sew type. At least in my hands, they tend to have this odd oily/tacky feel to them.

Interesting. My question would be why certain sublimated jerseys (like the old Bauer knit) have a distinctly different feel to them than a regular cut-and-sew type. At least in my hands, they tend to have this odd oily/tacky feel to them.

Cannot speak to the old Bauer stuff, however, this is my business and we certainly don't have that problem with any of our products.

It might have been unique to just that manufacturer and material. Their old mesh didn't have the same feel, nor did the old airknits.

Probably the fabric that they were using. Keep in mind that polyester fabric is partially made with petroleum type products.

The sublimation process itself (inks, paper, transferring) is green.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey guys. I'm sending my Canadiens Ultrafil jersey to EPS. It's from 1994. What kind of nameplate was used Ultrfil or Airknit? I didn't specify on my order form. What do you think they will use? Or should I e-mail them before the package arrives to let them know. Thanks in advance

Hey guys. I'm sending my Canadiens Ultrafil jersey to EPS. It's from 1994. What kind of nameplate was used Ultrfil or Airknit? I didn't specify on my order form. What do you think they will use? Or should I e-mail them before the package arrives to let them know. Thanks in advance

Ultrafil.