Baseball?

ZoomZoom18

Huge baseball fan here. Ready for Oakland to win another AL West title this season and this time get out of the ALCS and to the World Series.

I'm a huge baseball fan. Shea Stadium was like a second home for me from 1976-1986. The Mets and Diamondbacks are my teams.

The Mets won the first World Series I ever watched as a kid, so I've always had a spot for them. I grew to really like them when they had Mike Piazza. I'm working on getting May 4th off from work so I can go to the Mets-DBacks game out here may try to hit a couple of the games. I grew up with the Reds, Cubs, and White Sox. Everyone was a Cubs fan, so I liked the White Sox. I could never get into the Cubs.

I caught the Cardinals last year, this drunk guy sitting behind me swore up and down the Cards would be in the World Series. I thought he was full of it and needed to sober up a bit, but lo and behold just over a month later...

One of the things I love about AZ is all the Spring Training around here.

The Mets won the first World Series I ever watched as a kid, so I've always had a spot for them. I grew to really like them when they had Mike Piazza. I'm working on getting May 4th off from work so I can go to the Mets-DBacks game out here may try to hit a couple of the games. I grew up with the Reds, Cubs, and White Sox. Everyone was a Cubs fan, so I liked the White Sox. I could never get into the Cubs.

I caught the Cardinals last year, this drunk guy sitting behind me swore up and down the Cards would be in the World Series. I thought he was full of it and needed to sober up a bit, but lo and behold just over a month later...

One of the things I love about AZ is all the Spring Training around here.

I moved to AZ in June of 1986, THEN they won the World Series. The next year I thought I'd miss baseball so much that I went to about 25 spring training games. I missed a big ballpark too much, though, so I have been to maybe four Cactus League games since. Then the D-backs were created and I got back into baseball. It was hard for me when I went to a 1999 playoff game when the Mets played the D-backs. I will be at the game on May 4, I'll be in the front row of 307. It's a D-bingo night, I like those.

I moved to AZ in June of 1986, THEN they won the World Series. The next year I thought I'd miss baseball so much that I went to about 25 spring training games. I missed a big ballpark too much, though, so I have been to maybe four Cactus League games since. Then the D-backs were created and I got back into baseball. It was hard for me when I went to a 1999 playoff game when the Mets played the D-backs. I will be at the game on May 4, I'll be in the front row of 307. It's a D-bingo night, I like those.

I was irked that I had to miss the Mets with Piazza out here, as I have only been out here since fall of 04' and think I had to work evenings the week they were here in 05. I've grown to really like David Wright and I like Carlos Beltran.

I was finally able to find Mets hats for my big head down here in AZ, getting the wool blue one with the orange NY in an 8. Last week I hit the jackpot with the new hat design and found the black one with blue bill and blue and orange NY (road hat) that I've wanted for years, in the size 8 I've been after. I think I've been after that thing since I was in high school. I hate having a big head. I am convinced that Indiana is biased against people with head sizes over 7 1/2, plus I could never find them when I lived in Mississippi (seemed like the mall had every team BUT the Mets in an 8) or Texas.

The Rangers and Royals train down the road from me. Surprise has a nice stadium, but nothing like the one in Peoria. I got to see the White Sox this spring there, and sat behind the bullpen. With that being said, Spring Training games are NOTHING like the regular season games.

I was a lifelong Expos fan - even more than a Canadiens fan. That team tore the heart out of every baseball fan in this city on so many occasions - by the time they left I think the fans were just too emotionally spent to care about the team anymore. Contrary to the bad rap the city and team has gotten in the press over the last few years about poor attendance etc., this city had an extremely rich heritage and a large and passionate fan base. The team was dominating the NL in 94 and had a great shot at it's first World Series when the rug was pulled out from a great season. That was the beginning of the end for the 'spos - as a firesale pretty much gutted the team and the fanbase when the lockout was over. From losing out in the final few games of the 1979 season to the eventual World Series Champion Pirates, to the Rick Monday 9th inning home run in 1982 that stole the Expos first World Series date, to the 94 lockout, awful ownership after Bronfman sold the team, to horrible TV and Radio contracts through the later years (to the point where you couldn't even watch a game on TV anymore at all)... it was just so hard to watch. I still have such fond memories of going to games at Jarry Park and then Olympic Stadium and watching so many great players that came up through the expos organization... and so many great teams fall just short. I really miss it to the point that I can't even watch MLB games anymore... it just isn't the same. I am so disappointed that I can't take my kids to a game the way my Dad took me so many times. There is really something special about that time spent watching ballgames with a father or son by your side.

On a more uplifting note... have any of the Baseball fans around here checked out our baseball site, BallJerseys.com? Any thoughts on the site? Has anyone bought product from there? I would be very interested in your feedback.

I was a lifelong Expos fan - even more than a Canadiens fan. That team tore the heart out of every baseball fan in this city on so many occasions - by the time they left I think the fans were just too emotionally spent to care about the team anymore. Contrary to the bad rap the city and team has gotten in the press over the last few years about poor attendance etc., this city had an extremely rich heritage and a large and passionate fan base. The team was dominating the NL in 94 and had a great shot at it's first World Series when the rug was pulled out from a great season. That was the beginning of the end for the 'spos - as a firesale pretty much gutted the team and the fanbase when the lockout was over. From losing out in the final few games of the 1979 season to the eventual World Series Champion Pirates, to the Rick Monday 9th inning home run in 1982 that stole the Expos first World Series date, to the 94 lockout, awful ownership after Bronfman sold the team, to horrible TV and Radio contracts through the later years (to the point where you couldn't even watch a game on TV anymore at all)... it was just so hard to watch. I still have such fond memories of going to games at Jarry Park and then Olympic Stadium and watching so many great players that came up through the expos organization... and so many great teams fall just short. I really miss it to the point that I can't even watch MLB games anymore... it just isn't the same. I am so disappointed that I can't take my kids to a game the way my Dad took me so many times. There is really something special about that time spent watching ballgames with a father or son by your side.

On a more uplifting note... have any of the Baseball fans around here checked out our baseball site, BallJerseys.com? Any thoughts on the site? Has anyone bought product from there? I would be very interested in your feedback.

I made it a point to go to an Expos game while on my honeymoon (2002) and it was a heck of a unique an experience that I'll never go through again. One thing I remember was while walking down to my seats, them announcing the Darryl Kile just passed away. Anyway, we took the train to the stadium (it wasn't fun deciphering the names of the stops). The stadium gets a lousy rap, but I actually liked it. I like indoor parks, the big blue ceiling was something else! All the French language made me a little nuts, but it was expected. The crowd was small, but LOUD, louder than the crowd at the usual D-backs game. The metal floors probably helped. The Expos received the royal screw as you mentioned, Wolf. I can't count the number of people that I explained the elb logo being an M. The other lasting image of Montreal was POUTINE. It's like every single place with a food license sold that. I didn't try it, I probably should have, but I was a little spooked to see that stuff sold at a downtown Subway restaurant. My grandfather used to take me to Mets games, including my first one on September 5, 1976. We sat in section 222, row F and those box seats were $4.50 each. Steve Carlton beat the Mets, 3-1, and I was seen on TV back home, even. And so begins the love affair with the game of baseball.

It's too bad that there's not even a minor league team in Montreal, or is there now?

As for balljerseys.com, well, you have almost NO D-backs stuff. I haven't shopped around much on it since I have just about all the baseball jerseys I think I want and I'm funneling more money toward hockey jerseys. With baseball jerseys, I'm would much rather buy authentics, if at all possible, depending on the team and price I find. Throwbacks, now, those I will wear replicas of, since there's almost no choice.

Ah yes Wolf, I liked the Expos. They gave the Indianapolis Indians many great years of minor league baseball in the 80s, 4 straight AAA championships. I still vividly remember so many of the names that came through Indy on their way up to Montreal, Randy Johnson, Andres Galaragga, Delino DeShields, Marquis Grissom, Larry Walker (who was one of my faves as a kid), plus many more. Its really terrible that they got brought down like they did. I think Loria(?) was the owner that ran them into the ground? I am under the impression he was the guy that brought them down. Olympic Stadium had some kind of tower outside of it didn't it? I always thought that was a neat stadium. Its terrible they went down the way they did.

I haven't had a chance to check out balljerseys.com yet, I'll have to look into it.

to the Rick Monday 9th inning home run in 1982 that stole the Expos first World Series date

That was 1981. Wouldn't a true Expos fan have known that?? :P

to the Rick Monday 9th inning home run in 1982 that stole the Expos first World Series date

That was 1981. Wouldn't a true Expos fan have known that?? :P

Yes - October 1981 is correct... I think my psyche is doing whatever it can to remove that moment from my memory, which would account for the slip up on the year! I was actually at Syracuse University, watching the game in my dorm lounge with a bunch of guys. It was 1-1 in the top of the 9th when Monday hit what looked like a lazy fly ball to center off pitching ace Steve Rogers that just kept carrying over the centerfield fence. Ohhh the pain... :o

I made it a point to go to an Expos game while on my honeymoon (2002) and it was a heck of a unique an experience that I'll never go through again. One thing I remember was while walking down to my seats, them announcing the Darryl Kile just passed away. Anyway, we took the train to the stadium (it wasn't fun deciphering the names of the stops). The stadium gets a lousy rap, but I actually liked it. I like indoor parks, the big blue ceiling was something else! All the French language made me a little nuts, but it was expected. The crowd was small, but LOUD, louder than the crowd at the usual D-backs game. The metal floors probably helped. The Expos received the royal screw as you mentioned, Wolf. I can't count the number of people that I explained the elb logo being an M. The other lasting image of Montreal was POUTINE. It's like every single place with a food license sold that. I didn't try it, I probably should have, but I was a little spooked to see that stuff sold at a downtown Subway restaurant. My grandfather used to take me to Mets games, including my first one on September 5, 1976. We sat in section 222, row F and those box seats were $4.50 each. Steve Carlton beat the Mets, 3-1, and I was seen on TV back home, even. And so begins the love affair with the game of baseball.

It's too bad that there's not even a minor league team in Montreal, or is there now?

As for balljerseys.com, well, you have almost NO D-backs stuff. I haven't shopped around much on it since I have just about all the baseball jerseys I think I want and I'm funneling more money toward hockey jerseys. With baseball jerseys, I'm would much rather buy authentics, if at all possible, depending on the team and price I find. Throwbacks, now, those I will wear replicas of, since there's almost no choice.

You should have tried poutine... it is like a bowl of cardiac arrest... but VERY good. As for BallJerseys.com we are still waiting for a lot of our d-backs stuff... so check back soon.

Ah yes Wolf, I liked the Expos. They gave the Indianapolis Indians many great years of minor league baseball in the 80s, 4 straight AAA championships. I still vividly remember so many of the names that came through Indy on their way up to Montreal, Randy Johnson, Andres Galaragga, Delino DeShields, Marquis Grissom, Larry Walker (who was one of my faves as a kid), plus many more. Its really terrible that they got brought down like they did. I think Loria(?) was the owner that ran them into the ground? I am under the impression he was the guy that brought them down. Olympic Stadium had some kind of tower outside of it didn't it? I always thought that was a neat stadium. Its terrible they went down the way they did.

I haven't had a chance to check out balljerseys.com yet, I'll have to look into it.

Ya... they had so many great players... that all found success elsewhere unfortunately.

Ya... they had so many great players... that all found success elsewhere unfortunately.

It was definitely an awesome ladder system! Its really a shame that it didn't all go that way at the major league level. One of the Indians' players would be called up, he'd play up there most of the season and next thing you know he was getting dealt off and we'd be getting a prospect back. I never understood that at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a big Braves fan myself.