Ebay /Best offer or $$$ amount to start the listing

cowboys

Just throwing it out there I like to do my ebay with mostly best offers but do people just want to start bidding at say 99.00 ??????

I guess it depends on the jersey/if it's customized or not. I think 99 start is fair fur uncustomized and $125-$150 for customized. If it's a rare jersey then you are taking a big risk but you might also draw more watchers in by starting off lower and by the time the auction closes they decided to jump in anyways because they know how low it started thinking that you weren't just trying to ask a high price but thats how the market dictated the price of the jersey.

since we're on topic......I will be looking to sell a NYR Vector Heritage Gaborik jersey. 85th anny patch, retired numbers, NWT (with the price on it lol), size 52. What to start the bidding on that?

Thanks

I'll give you 10.50 for it :-p

your decimal place seem off....

:D

You should just send me all of the jerseys for free to save yourself from this dilemma....sending me the jerseys for free will cause you the least stress and will be the right answer :thumbsup:

Interesting topic. I've started just going with BIN listings with free shipping as a seller. I try to come up with a fair price, understanding it's going to cost me another $10 or so to ship, and price it that way. The upside is you can require people to pay immediately via Paypal when they use BIN, and offering free shipping avoids any arguments over shipping costs.

The downside to doing things that way is that I'm not maximizing how much money I get for each thing I sell (I'm okay with that) and you don't know when an item will sell. I do agree with what eBay claims when you're setting up a listing, that some buyers are more drawn to auctions than fixed price/BIN listings. I think with a BIN there's less urgency.

IMO fixed price is the way to go. Including a best offer option almost assures you of not getting your asking price, plus I think it wastes the buyer's time. The price is almost always set way too high and even if it's not, it's hard to tell. I mean does the $200 OBO mean the guy will take $120 or $195? I am astonished by the rejections of best offers, if I offer you $185 for a $200 item and you reject it, then why the hell did you have a best offer option?

If you want a fast sale and don't care how much you get, obviously an auction with a very low opening bid is the surest way to go. That said, I can also see starting it at your rock bottom price for the item, of course.

What I don't understand and have never, ever understood in now, gasp, 18 years on eBay, is the reserve price! WTF is that? Just start it at the reserve. Why are we playing around? And I see so many that go WAY under their reserve. Again, I am astounded by the increasing lack of flexibility, too. It used to be that if you were the high bidder on a no-reserve auction, you'd get a good chance of the seller offering it to you at that price or something similar. Not anymore it doesnt seem. I won a guy's shoes for $51 plus $15 shipping, didn't meet the reserve. He said it was $95, I sad I will give you $80 plus actual shipping and he scoffed. I don't understand that.

Never put a reserve I think the same just start it at that and see I like a OBO as it gives people on higher items a to see what they want to spend ,I put the over allowable low so we can start the back and fourth

Thank for all the comments

Yeh the reserve price thing is just annoying - I'd never use one when selling, just annoys people in my experience.

As for OBO, I only see the point if someone throws up something with a high price they know they won't get and is just using it to review legit offers because they're not quite sure what it's worth. Even then it can be annoying.

I love when a seller boasts that there is "No Reserve!" But the starting price is like $200. It's just kind of contradictory.