The Jersey Number Game

CryWolf

Here's an oldie that I'm sure everyone has played.

Post the following three clues: Jersey number, NHL team, year (or if you want to go for a player in a major international tournament state which tournament).

e.g. #2, Montreal Canadiens, 1970

The next person to pick up the thread responds with the player and new clues to another player's identity.

e.g. Jacques Laperriere

#1, Canada, 1972 Summit Series

...and so on... (when you post the clues, ya must know the answer yourself though! just in case of a dispute...)

So let's start with this one and see how it goes:

#8, Boston Bruins, 1971

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Ken Hodge

#19, Detroit Red Wings, 1982

Good one Crimson... I don't know the answer. Maybe someone else can answer this and get this game going once again? Come on guys... we need some group participation here!

I was going to say Yzerman, but he was drafted in 1983. I remember the wings wore those funky numbers back then, but I can't imagine who wore 19. The team wasn't very good then, so I didn't pay much attention to them. This sounds like one of the stumpers they'd ask on a Fox Sports telecast.

Gilles Meloche.

0098.jpg

#00, New York Rangers 77-78

• 2 weeks later...
#00, New York Rangers 77-78

nyr-00.jpg

how about...

#21 California Golden Seals 1975-76

I may be wrong but is it Dennis Maruk?

#12 Sweden (mens) Olympics 2006

I was stumped for a minute and than I remembered you were a Canucks fan. I don't think either of the Sedins wore their right numbers in the olympics and I think it was one of them that wore 12.

02-03 Ottawa Senators #39 ? (it's late - I'm not feeling creative...)

I was stumped for a minute and than I remembered you were a Canucks fan. I don't think either of the Sedins wore their right numbers in the olympics and I think it was one of them that wore 12.

The Senators for the first several seasons had a policy of no numbers over #35. Jason Spezza was the first exception that I could think of and is the answer to that question.

next one... 96-97 Phoenix Coyotes #20 (I owned such a jersey, replica, of course).

you are right it is one of them but which one? :P

It's Borat! No, Dennis Maruk is correct! VERY NICE! :thumbsup:

calseals-21.jpg

Yay. I'm not going to lie I kind of looked it up...I found a pic with his (last) name on it then hockeydb'd it.

Spezza indeed. It's the reason I wear #39. I'm kind of glad Spezza moved on to #19 though as his appeal has faded in my book and I like my number being a little more unique, even though there are a fair amount of NHL'ers who wear it.

I like to see larger, unique numbers on occasion. When Radek Bonk played in Las Vegas (IHL), he wore the number I always wear, 76. I wasn't happy when Travis Roche took that number this year, as I have Coyote jerseys personalized with my name and that number (done up through IJ, I recall). I was glad to see him switch to 77.

The Senators for the first several seasons had a policy of no numbers over #35. Jason Spezza was the first exception that I could think of and is the answer to that question.

next one... 96-97 Phoenix Coyotes #20 (I owned such a jersey, replica, of course).

Oleg Tverdovsky I believe? I don't think he switched to #10 until the next season.

Oleg Tverdovsky I believe? I don't think he switched to #10 until the next season.

You are correct. I had an Oleg jersey made back then because I thought he was a good offensive defenseman that would stick around for plenty of years. That didn't last too long. Everytime I have a jersey numbered, the player gets traded or signs elsewhere within several years. <_<

You are correct. I had an Oleg jersey made back then because I thought he was a good offensive defenseman that would stick around for plenty of years. That didn't last too long. Everytime I have a jersey numbered, the player gets traded or signs elsewhere within several years. <_<

Precisely what happened with my Coyotes Mike Johnson jersey last season! I hate that! I'm still kinda wishing I would've bought an Afinogenov Sabres jersey when I was in Buffalo, but oh well...

Ah, I'll take a stab at this,

1994-95 Los Angeles Kings 39#

Precisely what happened with my Coyotes Mike Johnson jersey last season! I hate that! I'm still kinda wishing I would've bought an Afinogenov Sabres jersey when I was in Buffalo, but oh well...

Ah, I'll take a stab at this,

1994-95 Los Angeles Kings 39#

Yanic Perreault

1992-93 Stanley Cup Champion Montreal Canadiens, #22