What counts as a rookie season?

AngeloS76

I guess the topic title sums it up - What counts as a player's rookie season in a league?

Is it the season that he plays his first game in, or is it the season where he plays a certain amount of games?

Edit: I ask this question because I'd like to get clarification on what counts as a player's rookie jersey (first jersey ever worn? jersey from first "full" season?)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From NHL.com:

Rookie Qualifications

To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

I would also like some clarification for a jersey purpose. Should I get Nino on a EDGE 2.0 royal Isles jersey with the vector on the back because he played his first game in that?

I guess the topic title sums it up - What counts as a player's rookie season in a league?

Is it the season that he plays his first game in, or is it the season where he plays a certain amount of games?

Edit: I ask this question because I'd like to get clarification on what counts as a player's rookie jersey (first jersey ever worn? jersey from first "full" season?)

Are we talking NHL or International leagues as well? Some guys play two or three pro seasons in Europe and come over and can still be calssified as a "rookie" by NHL standards...

I think I know what you are asking though...If a guy is called up for a game and doesn't make the roster for a year or two down the road...Thus the "# 67 call up jersey"... Good question!??

Mike Modano popped his NHL cherry in 88-89 by playing 2 whole playoff games -

2102477720105778501S425x425Q85.jpg

But 89-90 was cleary his rookie year. That being said, I would submit that Modano's 'rookie jersey' is the following 88-89 jersey -

http://www.gameworna...h-2986-101.html

2002661300105778501S425x425Q85.jpg

because it is the first jersey he wore in the NHL. So, IMO, his 'rookie jersey' (the first jersey he wore) has the 'TEAM CHOICE' on the rear hem, whereas his 'rookie year jersey(s)' wouldn't have the logo.

But it's all subjective: do we classify a player's rookie jersey as the first jersey he ever wore, or do we classify it by being the jersey he wore in his NHL defined 'rookie season' ?

If we wanted to get super picky, the first NHL jersey Modano ever wore for the North Stars came in the 89 super series, where he wore '39', but does it qualify as being his rookie jersey?

2764983450105778501S600x600Q85.jpg

Example B, Jason Spezza -

Most of us know that Spezza wore 39 in his rookie year -

2487924170105778501S425x425Q85.jpg

but he started out by wearing 44 -

2455098360105778501S425x425Q85.jpg

So, is his 'rookie jersey' 44? or is it both 39 and 44??

IMO, a 'rookie jersey' is the first jersey that a player wore in an NHL league game (even if he only played 1 game), whereas a 'rookie year jersey', can be any number of jerseys that a player wore in their NHL defined rookie season.

And now I just realized that you're only asking about a rookie year...not a rookie jersey :doh:

...but if that's why you were asking, there's my two cents :)

I'd consider a rookie jersey to be a jersey worn in his first year.

Roberto Luongo according to this hockey card wore what looks like the number 40 before his usually number 1

njuK.jpg

Also Alex Semin wore 74 and Zdeno Chara wore 53.

lOHe.jpg

p1865620reg.jpg

Correct. Jonsson wore 3, then 29, and the Chara picked up 3. Chara wore 53 for a couple of games in the 96-97 season (I think I saw that on Hockeydb)

Funny thing is something similar is going to happen with the 3 next season on the Island. Travis Hamonic wore 36 this past year, but he always wore the number 3. Calvin de Haan is going to "compete" for the 6th spot (probably will start the year in Bridgeport) and he wore 3 with his time as an Isle, but wears 24 in Oshawa. Radek Martinek wears 24 for the Isles but probably will not be re-signed, thus making 24 available to de Haan, thus making 3 available to Hamonic.

I am sort of hoping this happens so I can be one of the few with a 36 Hamonic jersey (once I get it done) :thumbsup:

Remember too that some players played preseason games with different numbers before changing to their "standard" number. That happened alot with Nashville, e.g. Cal O'Reilly wore #48 in the preseason and also his first NHL game but later changed to his standard #16.

yeah players are assigned numbers a lot of times before they get to pick them. As for the Caps alone, watch out for John Carlson to change his number this year. Eric Fehr went from 50 to 14 to 16, Tomas Fleischmann went from 43 to 14, Varly went from 40 to 1, Semin from 74 to 28 and no way Holtby would stick with 70 as a goalie.

WOW, talk about a grail

now that jersey would look amazing in my collection next to the others I've bought from him

highly doubt that thing will ever go up for sale

Can't find any pictures of it, but the year before his rookie year Trent Hunter played in 2 playoff games and wore #43. He then wore #21 to start his rookie year and quickly switched to #7 which he wears now.

Other Current Isles:

!B7d1zbg!2k~$(KGrHqUOKkEEzLrCmYbpBM0Rv0mnBQ~~_35.JPG

new-york-islanders-bruno-gervais-645-rookie-parkhurst-2005-06-upper-deck-nhl-trading-card-20115-p.jpg

9f335f4e-0ec1-4e1b-915c-6ef0f4175027.jpg

!B5SO6+!B2k~$(KGrHqUOKjUEyK,d1R)YBMtDEpWJog~~_35.JPG

I'll do past Isles later when I have more time.

The more rare the better, at least to me. I don't care whether they wore it all season, preseason, or what. Paul Stastny wore 62 in his first 14 games for the Avalanche and then switched to 26.

Shameless, but very relevant, plug alert for a post on my blog: http://goo.gl/HFzjW

If the number on the jersey leads to a better story, go with it, as long you do your homework and know the facts.

That's just me though.

Ok Islander fans......did Luongo wear #40 during the regular season?

To my knowledge he's always worn #1....

I know Mr. 2011 Conn Smythe Timmy Thomas wore #70 with the Bruins before switching to #30.

I have even seen a preseason jersey from his tryouts in Edmonton with #70.

To think, I was expecting this topic to fade away quickly. Thanks for all the input, everyone. Rookie numbers are definitely a fun quirk to play around with as a collector, and the jersey that actually got me to ask this question was my Matt Hunwick gamer from his first full season with the Bruins. Good to know the distinction.