My experience with river city sports

DaNoobie

I recently purchased some stuff from River City Sports, and at checkout, my currency was changed to Canadian. I didn't think too much of it and clicked ok to the pop up and checked out as usual. When I received the email invoice, I noticed the jersey I got was not at the listed price of $109. It was now $129, so I went on to contact support. Here is my entire email transcript with RCS support from before I ordered to right now. I copy/pasted the emails so its read in top down order as oppose to bottom up. I highlighted the time at which the emails are sent to show how fast he is capable of replying to emails. Keep in mind I'm on west coast time where as he is on central time, so if hotmail has some kind of funky time thing going in the last few mails, work out the time. He is 2hrs ahead of me.

http://news.webshots.com/photo/2515234720107052671yvPWyk

http://news.webshots.com/photo/2970319210107052671VUuiUJ

http://news.webshots.com/photo/2797557630107052671jXxIMz

My invoice is here:

http://news.webshots.com/photo/2524127780107052671JeakFQ

While this is probably not as bad as orangecrush's experience with EPS, I'm just passing my experience along with you guys. When shopping at RCS, be very sure to double check before you pay!

Cliffnotes:

Site listed prices incorrectly

I boneheadedly paid for it without double checking

Ignored by support

Threaten further action

Support seeks solution, promises same day reply but replies next day

I am less than impressed

Support claims to have shipped my package out yesterday

I am annoyed

Support now ignoring me again

EDIT:

Click on the pictures, view on full screen. Zoom in to see text. Cant seem to hyperlink it.

Rob Main tends to be a lot less punctual about dealing with problems after RCS has already gotten your money. Almost to the point of going out of his way to ignore you until he realizes you aren't going to give up.

Works. If the US price was $109.99. We would have to add 12% of the purchase to the jersey the price would approximatly be $123.19. I see that After you email to customer service RCS has bumped up their price for the Canucks vintage jersey to $129.99.

Yes it was 109.99. I was billed 129.99. Both figures are pre-tax. The $20 difference is pre-tax, its not created by taking the post-tax value for one and pre for the other

Yes it was 109.99. I was billed 129.99. Both figures are pre-tax. The $20 difference is pre-tax, its not created by taking the post-tax value for one and pre for the other

Well now for both US and Canada it's now $129.99.

I don't know anything about the laws in Canada, but here in the states, if a retailer advertises a price, even if it's a mistake, you're legally entitled to that price. Something reeks of fish here.

I don't know anything about the laws in Canada, but here in the states, if a retailer advertises a price, even if it's a mistake, you're legally entitled to that price. Something reeks of fish here.

Not true for business websites. Usually there are disclaimers for pricing errors in purchase agreements.

Yea man that's not accurate. Reputable sites will honor it, or at least send you a coupon or something, but they're typically free to cancel.

gave them a call, Rob answered and he claims to have put in another request to whoever can make the call on this, says theres nothing he can do beyonds that, and pretty much blames me for looking at the US pricing while I'm in Canada despite it being the default one that pops up, *eyeroll*

gave them a call, Rob answered and he claims to have put in another request to whoever can make the call on this, says theres nothing he can do beyonds that, and pretty much blames me for looking at the US pricing while I'm in Canada despite it being the default one that pops up, *eyeroll*

I'm all good with mistakes and realize they happen but nothing kills me more than when a place puts blame on the customer....in a time where things are tight for everybody I would think you'd want to make good on keeping whatever customers you have, especially in a business that isn't a "need". Anyway, I've never had a problem speaking with Rob on issues so it sucks to hear this.

I'd also add that this is a business with incredible amounts of competition, and there is only so many collectors who are going to be continuing customers. Factor in the prolific amount of fakes that draw away even more of their business, it honestly feels super super short sighted.

Just to clarify, he did it in a very passive aggressive manner. It went something like

"well you shouldn't have been looking at the US prices since you're in Canada, you should've been looking at the Canada site right?"

I replied something along the lines of, thats the default one your site pops up for me

He replies "when you first go to the site, it makes you choose canada or US" etc. and so forth

(obviously paraphrasing. I didnt bother recording the convo or I'd type it out verbatim)

I havent been paying attention to Hockey jerseys in a while but i always love topics like this. I have never and probably never will purchase proved RCS for a reason you said. I refuse to pay 15 dollars to ship a patch and think that companies that charge that much are showing the customer exactly how they feel about them when they do. Hopefully your situation gets straightened out.

I'd also add that this is a business with incredible amounts of competition, and there is only so many collectors who are going to be continuing customers. Factor in the prolific amount of fakes that draw away even more of their business, it honestly feels super super short sighted.

Just to clarify, he did it in a very passive aggressive manner. It went something like

"well you shouldn't have been looking at the US prices since you're in Canada, you should've been looking at the Canada site right?"

I replied something along the lines of, thats the default one your site pops up for me

He replies "when you first go to the site, it makes you choose canada or US" etc. and so forth

(obviously paraphrasing. I didnt bother recording the convo or I'd type it out verbatim)

I kind of don't understand...You are in Canada, yet you wanted to pay in US $$ or did you see the difference in price before ordering? At first I was thinking you were in the US and they charged you the Canadian price by mistake. BTW, $12.00 shipping for a patch IS ridiculous.

I kind of don't understand...You are in Canada, yet you wanted to pay in US $$ or did you see the difference in price before ordering? At first I was thinking you were in the US and they charged you the Canadian price by mistake. BTW, $12.00 shipping for a patch IS ridiculous.

No, my default for one reason or another, showed all their prices in USD. I originally mailed in asking how much it would cost to ship a couple V patches that were on sale for $2. I got quoted a $12 shipping fee for the first two, but shipping is free after 139 or something like that in purchases. So I bought myself a Canucks jersey that was listed at $109.99

At the checkout step, after I've entered my credit card and shipping info, I got a popup that said, we're going to convert your checkout to CAD, click ok. I clicked ok, a new checkout page came up with my CAD totals. I didn't look through that careful enough, figured it'll be the same and just clicked ok again. Thats where I made my big mistake. The jersey had gone up to $129. Rest is probably captured in the email screenshots.