The Rookie Jersey Number Dilemma

carsoni4

It is a common occurrence for young players to change their number after their rookie season.

The question is -- which is the jersey to have? Would one be at the risk of committing the dreadful jersey foul if you rocked a jersey with an out-of-date number? Or does it work in the opposite manner: that the old jersey is somehow a little cooler since everyone else would be sporting one with the up-to-date number?

What do you do when buying rookie jerseys? Hold off and wait for the number change, or go for it early and wear it with pride?

Edited by carsoni4

I bought my John Tavares jersey as the navy Isles jersey because he only wore it for one season. I like the old number on rookie jerseys. What player are you considering?

I am of the go early and be unique school of thought. Anybody can get customized jerseys after the fact when they are pre-made. Having it done up with their rookie number always shows you were a fan before others.

This is actually a funny thread...I had the same discussion on an Islanders messaging board. A lot of Isles bought the old Bill Guerin jerseys and stripped GUERIN and brought it to a place to make a Schremp nameplate. We called this process "Schrempification". I didn't buy one because they were replicas, but it was a solid deal. Now Schremp wears 44. Only the true Schremp fans have the 13. :thumbsup:

As the self-appointed IJ Forums jersey foul police, it is not a jersey foul as long as the player wore that number with that style of jersey.

As the owner of a #21 Mikko Koivu jersey, I vote go for the rookie number.

Well it depends when you buy the jersey, IMO. If you buy a player's jersey right when they join the team, then you are getting their original number, or in this case, their rookie number. Like others said, it shows you followed them first if you get their original team number as opposed to a jersey if they change their number. But I really don't think it matters as long as you have the player on their team because one can cite the player wore multiple numbers.

For the record, rookie jersey numbers look super bad Arse. People who understand what goes on, give you props for it, and people who don't, well who cares what they think.

As the owner of a #21 Mikko Koivu jersey, I vote go for the rookie number.

I've got an authentic green Koivu #21 too! Power to the rookie jersey!

I have a #46 Dan Girardi Rangers rookie jersey (replica) and I'm in the process of making a #43 Ryan Callahan rookie jersey.

Does anyone have a list of players who wore a certain number their rookie season and then changed it?

Joe Sakic #88 Nords jersey??

That's my next jersey I think... only ones I seen are the 88 stat jerseys on Ebay, forget those, lol

Will probably have to do it up on a 550 replica

Does anyone have a list of players who wore a certain number their rookie season and then changed it?

no but this has everyone who wore what number... (as of 2008)

http://www.azhockey.com/shirts/shirts.html

Yeah rookie numbers are cool.........#56 Giroux would be sweet. I like to get AHL or OHL, QMJHL, etc of a player I like.

My Jerseys

Once more you want everything handed to you on a silver platter. You must suffer for your art!