Authentic Customization On Rare Jerseys

Tyler

Does anybody know a place that does exact or as close as physically possible to exact customization of coveted 90's jerseys (wild wing, burger king, other ducks 3rds). My local jersey place (Pro Image in Square One) says they do it, but I have seen them mess up a jersey and I don't feel like having a nice jersey messed up.

Does anybody know a place that does exact or as close as physically possible to exact customization of coveted 90's jerseys (wild wing, burger king, other ducks 3rds). My local jersey place (Pro Image in Square One) says they do it, but I have seen them mess up a jersey and I don't feel like having a nice jersey messed up.

I had Truman at Gamedaysportsarchives customize my Wildwing jersey with Selanne's name and number. From the picture he sent of it it looks like a great job and I can't wait to get it in person. If it helps he used the right material and method (ie glacier twill sewn directly to the jersey for the name, no namebar)

This is a question that seems to keep popping up. Here's my take on it, if you're a collector and you know what you want, then do your research, don't be lazy about it. Don't expect some place to just "know" what you expect - they'll do the best they can but frankly it's up to you as the customer to lay out exactly what you want. As for Truman, I've seen some of his work and it's as good as any place, but I've also seen some jerseys on his site that are wrong. If you leave it up to the customizer just hoping they know you'll likely be disappointed at some point.

Get as many pictures you can of gamers and in-game photos from places like Getty images and gamewornjerseys.com etc. Look at eBay and places where others that have gotten it wrong. Then once you've gathered all your information, then contact someone like IceJerseys and let them know what you're looking for and ask if they can do it - chances are they can.

This is a question that seems to keep popping up. Here's my take on it, if you're a collector and you know what you want, then do your research, don't be lazy about it. Don't expect some place to just "know" what you expect - they'll do the best they can but frankly it's up to you as the customer to lay out exactly what you want. As for Truman, I've seen some of his work and it's as good as any place, but I've also seen some jerseys on his site that are wrong. If you leave it up to the customizer just hoping they know you'll likely be disappointed at some point.

Get as many pictures you can of gamers and in-game photos from places like Getty images and gamewornjerseys.com etc. Look at eBay and places where others that have gotten it wrong. Then once you've gathered all your information, then contact someone like IceJerseys and let them know what you're looking for and ask if they can do it - chances are they can.

Ok, thanks man. I was just wondering if there was a place that specialized in that field, I don't trust my local place one bit.

Yeah, like akteon said, provide pictures. I go to Truman myself with all my things, and I am very pciky when it comes to detail. I've had him redo somethings of mine without any hassle. I provide him pictures when I drop jerseys to him.

For example, he has a Czech jersey on his site, and I just dropped one off to him, but I didn't want my jersey customized the same as his. The one he has on his site has fonts used in the 2002 olympics. I wanted mine to reflect the 1998 olympics which used a different font. I sent him pics of Hasek in the 1998 olympics where you saw his back and asked him to replicate it.

No matter who you go to, just be explicit in what you want and don't assume they'll just know.

To touch on the point about rare jerseys, I just got a Gretzky Burger King back from him, accurately customized. Don't bring stuff to Pro Image or other chain shops like National Sports or the like (Pro Hockey Life does customization too) but I would get it done elsewhere to be honest.

I'm in Malton myself and I've been to all those places. Don't trust them.

Yeah, like akteon said, provide pictures. I go to Truman myself with all my things, and I am very pciky when it comes to detail. I've had him redo somethings of mine without any hassle. I provide him pictures when I drop jerseys to him.

For example, he has a Czech jersey on his site, and I just dropped one off to him, but I didn't want my jersey customized the same as his. The one he has on his site has fonts used in the 2002 olympics. I wanted mine to reflect the 1998 olympics which used a different font. I sent him pics of Hasek in the 1998 olympics where you saw his back and asked him to replicate it.

No matter who you go to, just be explicit in what you want and don't assume they'll just know.

To touch on the point about rare jerseys, I just got a Gretzky Burger King back from him, accurately customized. Don't bring stuff to Pro Image or other chain shops like National Sports or the like (Pro Hockey Life does customization too) but I would get it done elsewhere to be honest.

I'm in Malton myself and I've been to all those places. Don't trust them.

You hit the nail on the head. I don't want some place that just has Joe Dropout from the local high school making 9.50 an hour. I want a place where the owner is there all the time and knows the business. This Truman guy, whats his website?

You hit the nail on the head. I don't want some place that just has Joe Dropout from the local high school making 9.50 an hour. I want a place where the owner is there all the time and knows the business. This Truman guy, whats his website?

Truman's at gamedaysportsarchives.com. Like already stated just make it perfectly clear to the customizer what you want and you should be ok. To add to that Truman's done a lot of my stuff too but there are things I won't go to him for and have had done elsewhere because I think they will do a better job.

Yeah, like akteon said, provide pictures.

Oh my God, yes - provide pictures!

And notes!

With arrows!

EVERY jersey I send out get's a "spec sheet" just like this, detailing exactly what I want done, in what colors and in what fabric if needed.

I also detail the placement of patches and any other important details. Assume nothing and specify everything. No one wants to send you a jersey that isn't what you want and no one wants to get a jersey done in a way they weren't expecting.

IslandersFerraro.jpg

Here's what I got back.

2677862480100337552S200x200Q85.jpg 2717459530100337552S200x200Q85.jpg

Do you think I'm getting that "A" without specifying it? No how, no way. That number font also evolved over time and only the best of the best would know to put the Islanders 91-92 number font, which was different that the previous season's.

While it's easy to critique and criticize the customizers, it's up to you to provide them as much information as you can about what you expect to receive, no matter how basic it might seem, otherwise you end up with garbage like this.

2896601000100337552S200x200Q85.jpg

Seriously, who puts the back numbers that far over the waist stripes? Now anytime I send in an older jersey of questionable size, I always put a note warning that nothing should overlap a waist stripe, even though you think that would be as obvious as the nose on your face.

I just sent two of mine out to SportsK, but I'm curious about this guy. I went to his website...does he only sell kits? I'm a bit confused.

I just sent two of mine out to SportsK, but I'm curious about this guy. I went to his website...does he only sell kits? I'm a bit confused.

SportsK is a legitimate retailer. I ordered a jersey from the site there a while back and I can't complain about it at all.

Oh my God, yes - provide pictures!

And notes!

With arrows!

EVERY jersey I send out get's a "spec sheet" just like this, detailing exactly what I want done, in what colors and in what fabric if needed.

I also detail the placement of patches and any other important details. Assume nothing and specify everything. No one wants to send you a jersey that isn't what you want and no one wants to get a jersey done in a way they weren't expecting.

IslandersFerraro.jpg

Here's what I got back.

2677862480100337552S200x200Q85.jpg 2717459530100337552S200x200Q85.jpg

Do you think I'm getting that "A" without specifying it? No how, no way. That number font also evolved over time and only the best of the best would know to put the Islanders 91-92 number font, which was different that the previous season's.

While it's easy to critique and criticize the customizers, it's up to you to provide them as much information as you can about what you expect to receive, no matter how basic it might seem, otherwise you end up with garbage like this.

2896601000100337552S200x200Q85.jpg

Seriously, who puts the back numbers that far over the waist stripes? Now anytime I send in an older jersey of questionable size, I always put a note warning that nothing should overlap a waist stripe, even though you think that would be as obvious as the nose on your face.

I was wondering where you found all of this information? Is there a sight that offers all the teams jersey specs?

I was wondering where you found all of this information? Is there a sight that offers all the teams jersey specs?

There isn't one place for all of your answers - that's why it's research. If you really care about the details, then it's worth the effort. As I said in my earlier post, look for pics of game-worn jerseys online. Search for in-game photos showing the player wearing that jersey. Even if you can't find that specific player with his backed turned so you can see the jersey clearly, inspect all the photos you can. If you've looking to have a #14 jersey, maybe you can find pics of a gamer of #11 and #24 so you can gather the information you need. The hunt is half the fun. Folks on this board will surely help, just understand we're not going to do all the work for you.

Some resources to check:

there are many more, let Google be your guide ...

www.dropthepucks.com/Fredericktown/images

This is also a very good resource for pre-lockout game-worn jerseys.