The 2009 NCAA Tournament

lafountain

Bemidji State? The home of Beaver Pride is in the tourney?

They got one of the two "Lame-O Conference AutoBids™"

I'll be at the Minneapolis Regional (your temporary Home of the Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs) next Friday and Saturday. If by chance anyone is going to be there, give me a shout.

Don't be mad just because the Gophers didn't make it. :P

Air Force ended up 14th in the Pairwise so they aren't just there because of the auto-bid. There isn't going to be one for CHA next year anyways.

On a jersey note I wish Nike would make replicas of the smaller NCAA teams like UMD.

Edited by guam64

I think it will be a good tournament this year. I lucked out, it is my first year in D.C. after graduating from Notre Dame and the frozen four is here this year. ND has to hold up their end of the bargain though and not screw up in the Midwest Regional and make it here.

I'm thinking that this is the year for our first national title! GO IRISH!

I am definitely excited for this year despite RPI and Mich State not being in the tourney. As an ECAC fan I say watch out for Yale. They are really fast and tough and I expect them to definitely make the Frozen Four.

I just witnessed "The Great Escape" in Minneapolis.

Minnesota-Duluth was down 4-2 with a 1:05 to play when Princeton got a high sticking penalty. Duluth pulled their goaltender for a 6-4 advantage and was able to score with 39.5 seconds to play to make it 4-3.

With 12.4 seconds to go and Duluth pressuring, the ref calls for a faceoff outside the Princeton zone, seemingly killing any chance Duluth has to equalize.

However...

Duluth wins the faceoff and dumps the puck into the corner

tick...tick...tick...

and then shoots it behind the goal...

tick...tick...tick...

where the puck is shot out from behind the net to the right of the Princeton goalie for one final, desperation shot...

...tick...tick...

and the shot goes in!!! And the clock reads...

"0.8"

The Duluth fans go nuts, screaming "What just happened!!" "O my God!!" "What did I just see?!"

Overtime!

A back and forth OT with the shots pretty even but a Duluth player is skating behind a Princeton player and looks to have skated over his legs, but the ref rules the Princeton player stuck his foot back and tripped him for a Duluth power play

They cash in 16 seconds later to win 5-4 after scoring two goals inside the final 40 seconds of regulation to force the OT and avoid being the fourth out of four higher seeds to lose today, as Michigan, Yale and Denver all are upset by lower seeds.

I just witnessed "The Great Escape" in Minneapolis.

Minnesota-Duluth was down 4-2 with a 1:05 to play when Princeton got a high sticking penalty. Duluth pulled their goaltender for a 6-4 advantage and was able to score with 39.5 seconds to play to make it 4-3.

With 12.4 seconds to go and Duluth pressuring, the ref calls for a faceoff outside the Princeton zone, seemingly killing any chance Duluth has to equalize.

However...

Duluth wins the faceoff and dumps the puck into the corner

tick...tick...tick...

and then shoots it behind the goal...

tick...tick...tick...

where the puck is shot out from behind the net to the right of the Princeton goalie for one final, desperation shot...

...tick...tick...

and the shot goes in!!! And the clock reads...

"0.8"

The Duluth fans go nuts, screaming "What just happened!!" "O my God!!" "What did I just see?!"

Overtime!

A back and forth OT with the shots pretty even but a Duluth player is skating behind a Princeton player and looks to have skated over his legs, but the ref rules the Princeton player stuck his foot back and tripped him for a Duluth power play

They cash in 16 seconds later to win 5-4 after scoring two goals inside the final 40 seconds of regulation to force the OT and avoid being the fourth out of four higher seeds to lose today, as Michigan, Yale and Denver all are upset by lower seeds.

Survive and advance. I just hope they don't have a hangover for the next game. Two years ago Notre Dame had to play an OT game against Alabama-Huntsville and then played Michigan State (a team we had owned in the regular season) and we didn't look the same. They beat us and ended up winning it all.

Sounds like it was a great game to watch Jeff.

I got home from work and turned on the DVR and watched the Vermont/Yale game. Vermont pretty much controlled the game in their 4-1 Win. Glad I watched the game before reading this thread though as your post would have annoyed me since I would have known Vermont won before watching the game.

Next up for the Cats is Air Force in the East Region Final. My employer vs my home team. Definitely still cheering on the Cats though.

Yea, I was at the Notre Dame/Bemedji State game in Grand Rapids. As a Notre Dame student, I'd rather not talk about it...

3 #4 seeds beating the #1 seeds? What a crazy weekend! All my brackets got busted to say the least and all I can say is go UVM!

Bemedji State...pulling for them now...What a great tourney...too bad it doesn't get more exposure...

Bemedji State...pulling for them now...What a great tourney...too bad it doesn't get more exposure...

There were four games (out of 12) that had goals scored in the last 18 seconds to win or send them to overtime last weekend.

UMD twice in 40 seconds,with the last one with 0.8 left, to force OT vs. Princeton where UMD goes on to win.

New Hampshire with 0.1 left to force OT vs. North Dakota where UNH goes on to win.

Cornell beats Northeastern by scoring with 17.2 seconds to play.

Boston University scores with 14.4 second against UNH to go to the Frozen Four.

I know it is in direct conflict with the basketball tourney but man this 2 week layover is terrible. How about shortening the regular season a bit and pushing the conference tourneys up?

I know it is in direct conflict with the basketball tourney but man this 2 week layover is terrible. How about shortening the regular season a bit and pushing the conference tourneys up?

The best suggestion I heard was because Basketball is playing on Saturday & Monday, make it a "Championship Weekend" and have hockey play on Friday and Sunday. Duh.

The best suggestion I heard was because Basketball is playing on Saturday & Monday, make it a "Championship Weekend" and have hockey play on Friday and Sunday. Duh.

That would make too much sense. The NCAA can't do that.

Yesterday since I didn't pay attention to the date of the game, before I went to work I spent a few minutes looking on ESPN2 to set the DVR to record the Vermont/BU game only to discover that it is next Thursday. Good news for me, I found out yesterday that I am moving back to the dayshift so I won't have to DVR the game and can get home in time to watch the games on Thursday.

Here we go again, let's get it on! I am going to do my level best to drop out of work to see the Beavers in the early game. One of my favorite hooky moments came in law school when my buddy (from N. Dakota) and I skipped Criminal Law to watch Mich State play the Sioux and drink beers. Good times!

I've got my DVR set for the 5pm game - guess I have to root against the Beavers since Miami is local my mom is an alum.

Well that was interesting. Both the favorites won yesterday setting up what should be an entertaining final. The Beavers never just had "it" and that Vermont game was so back and forth it was incredible. The last 2 periods was insane and I was glad I stayed up late for it. Can't wait for Saturday!

It was sad to see the Beavers run come to an end. They would have really been a great story had they made the finals vs. BU.

How about that finish last night?

BU played a great tournament, no matter the situation if they were down, they just were determined that they were not going to lose. Sucks for Miami to lose on such a bounce, but that is how it happens sometimes. It was a great tournament all the way around though.