Time to ruin another time horored jersey in the NHL.

thebiggoalie

Honestly, I could care less what the refs/linesmen wear. However what I really found shocking about that story, as was pointed out by someone on another jersey forum, was this:

In addition to the introduction of new officials jerseys, the jerseys that will be worn by the Eastern and Western Conference NHL All-Stars will include Reebok's patent-pending Smoothfit™ performance name and numbering technology, which allows players to move more efficiently on the ice and will contribute to improved moisture management. The Smoothfit™ performance name and numbering technology eliminates up to 35 percent of the weight inherent to the traditional name and numbering system, which in many cases, includes multiple layers of twill.

First they ruin the jersey, and now they ruin the numbers & name? How long before the crests and patches on authentic jerseys are no longer twill as well?

I'm actually quite curious what this is going to do to the places that offer customizing now. Will this new Reebok technology simply be a twill alternative or are they also changing the way they are attached to the jersey as well? Is this just a way to limit who can do official customization so Reebok has more control, like with NFL jerseys currently?

Why does "Smoothfit" sound like a euphemism for "dye-sublimation"?

Heh...I thought the same thing. WONDERFUL. I guess these new jerseys are gonna look like the old Nordiques and Penguins screened on beauties...minus the awesome, of course. Argh.

Well, I guess the plus side is, all of our collections will probably double in value when this crap goes full-time next year...I know they didn't 'say' that but you can see it coming, can't you? What's next? Full body, one-piece Under-Armour RBK EDGE suits like footy pajamas? No need for britches! Your excrement gets absorbed right into the jersey! Just like a diaper!

Are these hockey players REALLY affected by 3 extra ounces of fabric?

Either that or the cheap plasticky one-layer garbage they used to customize replicas last year. It's only one layer, so it's gotta be lighter...and FASTER! <_<

Are these hockey players REALLY affected by 3 extra ounces of fabric?

I thought the same thing regarding the sublimation. Sigh, we have to wait until 2014 before we can kick Rbk out. Why did they have to buy CCM???

Anyone know where the Reebok factory or offices are? We should get hockey fans from all over North America together and hold a massive protest.

While I appreciate the passion I think truly the only way to change things is not to buy these freaking jerseys. CW, do you have any numbers that track how well the new Edge jerseys are selling compared to the last run over a comparable time period (you don't have to put IJ's numbers up here, just a general sense is appreciated)?

So all the people who have spent their hard earned cash on an Authentic All-Star jersey from this year now don't have it properly customized due to the different numbering and lettering material?

While I appreciate the passion I think truly the only way to change things is not to buy these freaking jerseys. CW, do you have any numbers that track how well the new Edge jerseys are selling compared to the last run over a comparable time period (you don't have to put IJ's numbers up here, just a general sense is appreciated)?

Yea I am still boycotting these things and I don't plan to ever stop doing so. I'm afraid too many people either don't mind the Edge jerseys or have just given in.

So all the people who have spent their hard earned cash on an Authentic All-Star jersey from this year now don't have it properly customized due to the different numbering and lettering material?

Seems like that is the case.

Have the players ever made any seriously bad comments about the Edge jerseys and wanting them gone? I remember them complaining about the sweat dripping into their gloves and skates more than normal. Just curious what the players would like to see. Who makes these decisions? Wouldn't the NHLPA have a say?

And as for fans not buying the Edge jerseys - would that seriously force the NHL to go back to CCM's?

I personally hate the Edge jerseys and if they went to screen print or sublimation, then my collection is done before it started!

Have the players ever made any seriously bad comments about the Edge jerseys and wanting them gone? I remember them complaining about the sweat dripping into their gloves and skates more than normal. Just curious what the players would like to see. Who makes these decisions? Wouldn't the NHLPA have a say?

And as for fans not buying the Edge jerseys - would that seriously force the NHL to go back to CCM's?

I personally hate the Edge jerseys and if they went to screen print or sublimation, then my collection is done before it started!

I'm guessing the NHLPA has some say, but there is so much money involved in this that I doubt they will go back anytime soon.

Maybe if the Edge sales were real bad they would consider going back, but I doubt they are that bad. There are lots of up and coming stars that people want to own jerseys of, and with many of them an Edge jersey is the only choice (excluding international, NCAA, AHL, or CHL jerseys), and lots of teams changed their designs or added a third jersey. People want to stay current, so I doubt there is a huge portion of hockey fans refraining from buying these things.

Yeah, I agree. I really don't see that sales are that bad that the NHL would go back to CCM. People are buying the s*** out of the new retro Flyers jersey. These Edge jerseys are probably gonna be here for the long haul.